Thinking of buying-Questions

daveco2

I'm thinking of buying and have a few questions. I'm sure much of this has been asked before here, but I can't find it and would like to make the rounds of the dealers as soon as possible. I'm a small rider (5'5", 135 lbs).

I'm thinking of model years 2001-2003. Are there any important upgrades that would recommend one year over another?

Are there any recurring electrical problems or is this area as reliable as the engine?

Is shifting easy or is it somewhat of a struggle as some other posts have suggested?

Is there a way to get 1 inch lower seat height without shaving the seat-some simple suspension tweak hopefully?

Has anyone developed a simple way to get the bars higher, more rearward?

Are soft bags available to throw over the rear for light touring?

Thanks for any help on this one,

Dave

General:

I think the '02+ has a longer wheelbase- more stable, but slower handling. The '03 has oil-cooled pistons, and uh, some other stuff. I would imagine that the improvements are mostly minor. I think the '02+ has a wider rear wheel too. Don't know if that's an improvement (no comparison), but I think there's a wider selection of replacement wheels- correct me if I'm mistaken. Guzzi does not do 'major overhauls' like other brands might. Their philosophy has been to refine a particular machine. The 6-speed gearbox is a radical change for Moto Guzzi. You'll notice they still use manually adjusted rockers. :P

Electrics:

Replace the stock relays with bosch units (already done probably). That's the biggest complaint on electrics. But recall that Guzzi has somewhat dodgy electrics historically. I've had few troubles on my bike (except a relay) but others have lost their tachometer, or the neutral switch, or other weird little issues. The alternator output is adequate, but not as high as it should be. Do you want to run running lights and a heated suit? If not, don't sweat it.

Shifting:

You've obviously never ridden a five speed :lol: . Shifting is fine- not as refined as a Japanese bike perhaps, but it works really well with the new tranny.

Seat:

I'll let Rich Maund address this. I don't think you would want to tweak the suspension, but I dunno.

Handlebars:

See http://plasterbath.chem.uiowa.edu/fairing/.../bars/bars.html

Also, there is a thread (uh, several threads) that describe options. Beisel did a nice job of grouping some info together.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...bd3f74c491d2e4d

And Al put some good stuff together under the 'FAQ' section.

Bags:

I've seen some really, really small chase harper bags that might do for ya.

Free advice:

Buying a Guzzi is an emotional decision more than a rational one. If you get a Guzzi, be prepared to be social, because people will stop and talk to you about it. Be patient. Little things to break and it can drive you crazy. It happens. And be involved. A Guzzi is not a utility that starts up and runs like a sewing machine every time. It requires attention, maintenance, and occasionally intervention.

Bottom line:

Go test-ride one. Its the most fun motorcycle I've ever ridden. Huge grin factor. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. :mg:

Cheers,

Jason

The Tekno bags are incredibly easy to use (not quite so easy to mount, but you only do that once) if a bit small. Really good bags though.

Since you mention on the MGNOC list that you're not an agressive rider, you are unlikely to notice much of the handling improvements attributed to progressive frame upgrades from 1999 to now, but the 2003 and later models are almost certainly a large improvement over their predecessors. 2000-2001 models can be had for cheap, but you might do best to consider the 2003 models. If you really have to lower the bike, you can modify the seat but may find that solution contrary to 300+ mile trips. Or not. YMMV. The high bucks approach is to buy Ohlins ride height adjustable suspension. I don't know whether anyone has done that specific approach on a Guzzi though. Just mentioning it because the option exists. Later models already have the upgraded relays, some internal upgrades on the transmission and better engine paint. I would avoid any model Guzzi with the wrinkled black engine paint unless you're willing to put up with some substandard sealing and/or paint peeling that is associated with this particular engine treatment. Again, YMMV.

My daughter is 5'3" (and on her beginners permit) and I wouldn't dream of letting her pilot the V11 Sport as it is simply too tall (and for her, way too powerful and heavy) to be ridden safely. I would be entirely comfortable to put her on a Breva though, it is aimed pretty much squarely at her class of rider. The Breva might be a bit (or a bunch) underpowered for you at around 50BHP, but you might want to consider looking at one of those when they become available as it is already a shorter bike.

Re seat heighth. Not sure if it can be done with a Guzzi but narrowing instead of cutting out the heighth of the seat will give your legs a straighter path to the ground. I've seen KLR650s with this done as well as motocross bikes with success. The beauty of it is that only the front part of the seat has to be narrowed and you shift your position there when coming to a stop.

Also have seen a gel seat on a KLR which really reduced the seat heighth.

I'm not a fan of lowering suspension as it changes all kinds of stuff like steering head angle etc.

Dave,

Glad to see you made it over here! These folks really know their sports and LeMans. When you bring that bike home you are likely to be back on here. Sorting, fettling as well as hobnobbing ,cohorting and otherwise hanging out with the enlightened.

Ride well, docc

The riders seat foam on the modified 2002-On pans is thinner than the older ones. No room to go downwards w/o compomising comfort. The mod'd pans have no issues with hitting the taller Bosch relays as some old ones did. (Mine doesn't hit them.)The older ones can be shaved 1/2" and still be OK. There really isn't anything to narrow in the front. You'd be cutting away the pan. You'll have to look at lowering suspension to reduce height.

My 00 V11Sport feels like the saddle height is lower than my new 03 Rosso. My wife also seems to feel a difference between both bikes and says she has less leg bend on the 03 (which is good). The peg location looks the same, so it must be in the seat.

I would go to your local dealer and sit on the different year bikes to see if you can feel a difference in heights.

You can slide the forks up in the triple clamps and go with an aftermarket rear shock that is adjustable in length to lower the bike to your needs. Just realize that when a bike is lowered that parts tend to hit the ground sooner when leaned way over in a turn. :bike:

Good luck,

Mike

Guest carlomoto

Hi, Dave:

I know how you feel - I went through this process as well when I was looking to buy. After months of reading about Guzzis and posting questions to the boards, I finally went and drove one.

I bought my bike new in July '02 -- it's a 2003 model.

I've been through two speedos. I'm dealing with a slight, but only slightly annoying, oil drip. Small items compared to the bike as a whole.

I love this bike. I've tested BMWs and Aprilias since buying my V11, and still prefer my Guzzi.

It sounds fantastic. The six-speed gear box -- love it. The bike is very happy at speed (85+) and likes hitting 100 waaayyy too often. It fits short people (I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam).

Every time I get off my bike I have an ear-to-ear smile. I'll get another one.