Oil leak through porus head casting

Guest Nigelstephens

Guest Nigelstephens

Started to notice some oil on the fins of my Sport 1100 injection 97, and cleaned it up. Within a 300 miles it was back and dripping on to my boot.

I investigated further and it is definately coming from the head casting on the RH side, just next to where the pressurised oil feed attaches to the head. Its not leaking from the pipe joint but from the alloy plugs that have been soldered/cast in to the holes that have been left by the manufacturing process. There are two of them, one either side just above where the pipe enters the head. They presumably were machining holes/casting holes that have been plugged with alloy.

Is my problem unique?

Any ideas on how to fix?

I guess I need to drillout the plugs and and tap for some bolts and use a sealant. Could even use epoxy resin.

Start with Greg's idea, replace the o-rings under the blanking plugs. If that doesn't work then clean the area thoroughly with carby cleaner or some such and just cover the bungs with a dob of epoxy and allow to dry.

Pete

Started to notice some oil on the fins of my Sport 1100 injection 97, and cleaned it up. Within a 300 miles it was back and dripping on to my boot.

Is my problem unique?

Any ideas on how to fix?

94528[/snapback]

Had a very similar problem with a Cali a few years back - definitely a porous casting on mine - not a lot of oil, just a very fine mist - perhaps no more than a few drops on a typical ride of a couple of hours, but it still made a mess. I was told that it could be remedied by removing the head and after cleaning meticulously, putting some special stuff (can't remember the name) on the inside. I thought that would be far too much trouble so I took to pushing a piece of tightly folded toilet paper between the fins at their root. It stopped the oil dribbling and only needed to be replaced every few weeks. Eventually I got some liquid metal and after cleaning the area externally with brake cleaner, I applied the liquid metal with a cotton bud. That stopped the leak permanently.

Hope this helps.