Son of 1000SP? - My Bank Account is Quivering

Guest george in vancouver

I'm a big fan of that bike. I wish I had the cash for one. I know... maybe I'll trade in the MINI for it. Carrying capacity is about the same. I wonder how the Norge handles in the snow... :mg:

Guest redguzziv10

Our local(sh) dealer, Haywards, has one booked for drooling over, later on this month...the 29th i think.

Quite possibly the very first one into the country!

Maybe another meet is called for ...Chris? Martin? Jim?

Maybe a bit far for you this time, Carl

:D

A dog with fleas IMHO. Ugly - not revolutionary in any way -- and probably heavy as hell.

If I wanted something like that (which I do not) I'd probably be looking at a BMW or Gold Wing.

Well considering I've only owned my LeMans for roughly 2 months I'm not in the market for a bike. But...I'd sure like to figure out how to adapt :luigi: that altenator to my 04. Also those bags in black would look pretty good too.

:mg:

A dog with fleas IMHO.  Ugly - not revolutionary in any way -- and probably heavy as hell.

If I wanted something like that (which I do not) I'd probably be looking at a BMW or Gold Wing.

94777[/snapback]

Heavy? Guzzi list it as having a 246 kg (542 lb) dry weight. BMW's site lists their K1200 GT as 622 lbs, with fuel. Relatively speaking, I don't think that's too heavy.

As much as I like BMWs, I think the Norge is *far* more interesting to look at than the K12 (maybe not the R12, though ;-)

As for the Goldwing... well, that's just a whole 'nuther beast altogether... not even worth comparing. Sort of like comparing an Audi Allroad to a Winnebago.

Anyway, it seems to me that Guzzi fans have been waiting for a proper sports touring bike from them for many years, and now they have it... and it looks quite fine when compared to other bikes in that niche. Would I trade my V11S for it? Nope. I would love to add it to the stable, though...

Guest Nogbad

Did someone say sports touring???? Ha Ha Ha. I don't think so. Please tell me where "sports" can be found in this Barge? It is a touring bike and only that.

Well, here's a collection of various "touring" bikes available at the moment:

guzzi_norge.jpg

Guzzi Norge

BMW_2006_K1200GT_000.jpg

BMW K1200 GT

BMW_R1200ST_equip_stpz.jpg

BMW R1200 ST

06FJR1300A_silver_1.jpg

Yamaha FJR1300

st3_davanti.jpg

Ducati ST3

honda_st13.gif

Honda ST1300

sprint_st.jpg

Triumph Sprint ST

Every manufacturer has their own definition of what a "sport tourer" is, as does each of us, I'm sure.

Out of this list, the only bikes I would even consider purchasing would be the Triumph Sprint ST, the BMW R12, or the Guzzi Norge. Now, given the fact that I prefer any dedicated long-distance bikes to be shafties, that pretty much leaves me with the R12 and the Norge.

I'd sure like to figure out how to adapt  :luigi: that altenator to my 04.

Easy: get yourself a Quota! :lol:

Spineys can't use the top-mount alternator, 'cause that's where the frame goes! Quotards (Quota derivatives w/ the semi-perimeter frame) can use the top-mount alt., which is why Guzzi has gone back to it after all these years in order to move the CoM forward, closer to the front tire.

While a car-type alternator is nice (rugged, cheap), it still needs to be run off the back of the clutch bell-housing instead of being run off the front of the motor... motorcycle manufacturers are supposed to innovate & show car makers how it's done [re, high efficiency small disp. 4v DOHC motors, aluminum frames, etc.], not blindly follow car practice [running the alt. off the front of the motor "because that's the way it's always been done."] :moon:

Ride on!

:bike:

Heavy? Guzzi list it as having a 246 kg (542 lb) dry weight. BMW's site lists their K1200 GT as 622 lbs, with fuel. Relatively speaking, I don't think that's too heavy.

94812[/snapback]

Relatively speaking, the K1200GT makes between 1.5x & 2x the ponies, too! Fuel the Norge and that 550# dry wt is suddenly pushing 600#, and the "sport" has mostly departed.

The Norge is a tourer w/ the ability to be ridden, as opposed to merely toured, like the G'wings & H-D FLHTCUILMNOPQRSTUVW "wheeled Barcaloungers" out there.

Think of it as somewhere between the above bikes & the ST13/K12/FJR13 "sports GTs" somewhat closer to the latter than the former. :bike:

I hope it sells well for Guzzi, but I fear that it will not find a market given it's price/performance ratio; far cheaper and easier to pick up a Triumph ST3 and smoke the Norge in all areas [dealer/parts availability, looks, perf., cost, etc.]

Not that I find the Norge hard on the eyes, but it's kinda "Plain Jane" vs. a lot of the competition. Stodgy, even. :unsure:BUT it's got the Brevona beat in the looks dept. hands down, so there's still a lot of hope! :thumbsup: