Son of 1000SP? - My Bank Account is Quivering

Guest george in vancouver

Guest george in vancouver

At 542 lb dry, it's only 35 lb heavier than a LM1, T3, etc. and 15 or so more than the V11 Lemans. I've never had an issue with pushing either one and a brisque pase "sport" motoring. With the addition of a 550 W alternator and ABS, I'm surprised that it's that light. A lighter can and some other cover removals would probably get it down to the same as the stock V11 LM.

Looks like a possible great "all-arounder" to me.

George

Relatively speaking, the K1200GT makes between 1.5x & 2x the ponies, too! Fuel the Norge and that 550# dry wt is suddenly pushing 600#, and the "sport" has mostly departed.

The Norge is a tourer w/ the ability to be ridden, as opposed to merely toured, like the G'wings & H-D FLHTCUILMNOPQRSTUVW "wheeled Barcaloungers" out there.

Think of it as somewhere between the above bikes & the ST13/K12/FJR13  "sports GTs" somewhat closer to the latter than the former.  :bike:

I hope it sells well for Guzzi, but I fear that it will not find a market given it's price/performance ratio; far cheaper and easier to pick up a Triumph ST3 and smoke the Norge in all areas [dealer/parts availability, looks, perf., cost, etc.]

Not that I find the Norge hard on the eyes, but it's kinda "Plain Jane" vs. a lot of the competition. Stodgy, even.  :unsure:BUT it's got the Brevona beat in the looks dept. hands down, so there's still a lot of hope!  :thumbsup:

94831[/snapback]

I just wish it was more unique but lets be honest, how far has that gotten them in the past? they need a good seller not a good looker, let the norge be what its meant to be an alt to the beemers and the japs. Ducati doesn't really count in my book, no one buys ducati for touring(no one smart anyway) :grin:

I like the Breva better than the Norge, I'd get the Breva 1100

if anyone takes a look the norge has been bored, or is it stroked a little bit the engine is 1151 and I know my V11 is only 1064 maybe that helps a little with the extra baggage :huh2: sport touring? - not really, all out touring - oh yeah.

Don't forget the Kwak ZZR1200 . . . a tremendous power plant and a bike I almost bought. I would definitely choose the Norge over the ZZR, just for the shaft drive alone, not to mention the simplicy and beauty of it's air cooled engine.

GiVi_solution.jpg

This Norge looks like a collision between a Breva and the FJR1300. Not necessarily ugly, but very bland in a German or Japanese kind of way.

no one buys ducati for touring(no one smart anyway)

Give me a break, have you never heard of the ST2 or ST3, or Multistrada?

Give me a break, have you never heard of the ST2 or ST3, or Multistrada?

94862[/snapback]

Although I'm generally a fan of Ducatis (love my M900), I would never buy one of their bikes if I was intending to take regular long-distance trips. If you really rack up the milage, Ducati major service intervals will come rather frequently, and the majority of Ducati dealers I've dealt with always fail to lube the appropriate areas as they bend your a$$ over the service counter. I've begun doing all the major service (short of engine rebuild) myself, which is a whole 'nuther flavor of a$$ pain.

Does Ducati make touring bikes? Sure. You can also use a really big hammer to pound a square peg into a round hole, but I wouldn't do it. :D

Just my :2c:

Time to chime in, I suppose. I've always admired the 'Sport-tourer' class of bike. The Honda Pan and BMW K1200 GT both come to mind and are often benchmarks for the genre.

Several aspects haev always brought me short of bringing one home. Honestly, I just don't ride that far. Maybe two or three 500-1500 mile trips a year but mostly cafe jaunts and little burn-ups averaging 75 miles. Second, the weight. Pans and the GT both weigh on at 750 pounds. That's a big lady for my 165#, 5'9" self.

Having lived in Bavaria as a youth I've always wanted to like BMW motorcycles. Unfortunately , they lack that brio that keeps us enamoured with our Guzzis. I suspect riding the available Sport-tourers back to back would reveal the built in fun factor of the Nor-gay.

Finally, my bubble of desire for a Sport-tourer has largely been burst by the trend toward the Duel-Sport (sic), Adventure-tourer, Dirt-bagger sort of bike. Several of the experienced riders I know have graduated to this aspect of riding and I have grown to admire the appeal. Sit-up position, weather protection, long travel suspension make for some real time advantages on today's roads.

Maybe a Breva based 550# Quota . . . but what would they call it? Allis-Chalmers?