Do you own more than one bike right now ?

Jock Guzzi

MBD, like madness, is a snowballing syndrome. The step to a second bike is scary. Twice as much money, twice as much time, twice as much space etc. But when you move to a third bike, now it is only 50% more, the fourth is only 30% more, the fifth a mere 25% more. Soon it really makes little difference if you bring that next wreck home or not - so you do. :)

Rj

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two sluts, surely?

.............and six bikes, of course.

I'm going to look at an old Honda CBX1000 this afternoon. There is no cure. All you can do is feed your habit.

Martin, you seem to have had a lot to do with old Jap stuff: what can you tell me about CBXs, except don't do it?

Bob, sorry I'm no expert. You can see from my sig block what I've had. I've tended to keep them a while.

Which CBX the original twin shocker or the B with the prolink and fairing?

I don't think there were any inherant weekness just that there was a lot of engine.

I think old bikes should be used. That way they keep generating the need for spares and service items. Not just stuffed in a museam.

At the moment I own just the Centauro, but in the past I used to have more than one Guzzi.

In my opinion 3 is the perfect number... B)

- V7 California 850 (the first love)

- Quota 1100ES (the wife)

- V10 Centauro (the lover)

072044bf31d517de4.jpg

072044bf33dfa9a9d.jpg

Macio - I like your Quota! I hadn't seen one lower with street wheels and tires. Is this a conversion? I liked the Quota when they came out but were too high and heavy...

cheers,

Rj

Bob, sorry I'm no expert. You can see from my sig block what I've had. I've tended to keep them a while.

Which CBX the original twin shocker or the B with the prolink and fairing?

I don't think there were any inherant weekness just that there was a lot of engine.

I think old bikes should be used. That way they keep generating the need for spares and service items. Not just stuffed in a museam.

Hi, Martin.

I rode it this afternoon. It's the pro-link, B version, with fairing and panniers. Very nice, only 30K km. The owner, a bike mate, has been having troubles with starting - carbs: he's had them ultra-whatsit cleaned but still has to suck on a pipe to get petrol through to all six after it's been standing a few days! It certainly goes, but it's too, er, mushy for my tastes: I didn't know what the wheels were doing most of the time! While I rode the CBX, he rode my S3 to guide the way along the banks of the Vienne west of Limoges, and I fell in love with my own bike all over again, for the umpteenth time, just following it!

The CBX? It was like sitting on an armchair powered by a very powerful electric motor. Everything worked, and it did as it was told, but........... I think I'm not a CBX person. Neither is my mate, which is why he's selling it!

He told me that he thought the acid test for "feel" in a bike's handling, in his opinion, was whether, if you rode over a cigarette end, you knew it was a filter or not.......my S3 passed, apparently.

Whatever: you see, you can say no, gentlemen!

Martin, I'm with you on old bikes being used: mine get thrashed on a regular basis, and keep breaking. I keep inexpertly mending them: it keeps me off the streets and keeps people like Motomecca, RGM, Sportax and the excellent Oliver Barnes at Trisupply ticking over! The S3 and I will be at the Trofeo Rosso this weekend: I shall be going up with CBX mate, who'll be riding his Benelli six [he has a six cylinder fetish] and another local motard on his 1200 Sportster. Hopefully, we'll meet up with Andre, who's campaigning his T3/S3/LeMans/cafe racer/racer beauty [you've seen it here] and his equally beautiful Gambalunga special.

But don't tell BFG: he'll think I'm making it all up again...........

Guest Macio

Macio - I like your Quota! I hadn't seen one lower with street wheels and tires. Is this a conversion? I liked the Quota when they came out but were too high and heavy...

cheers,

Rj

Yes, I substituted the original 21" front wheel with a 18" one from a Nevada 750 (ehm.. BTW is not legal in Italy...) and Metzeler Z4 street tires; great benefits and a lot of fun for street riding... :D

I sold the Quota several years ago. :(

Late reply - I'm so busy riding my three Guzzis (one at a time, Malcolm, one at a time!)

I used to claim that I needed three Guzzis in the garage in order to have at least one roadworthy - and it often seemed that way, with the odd little problem knocking one out of service for a few days whilst I puzzled over the cause of the latest idiosyncracy. But now, with a Scura, MGS01 and Breva 1100, I find that I have to set more riding time aside in order to ensure that they all get their essential daily exercise.

Work is a four-letter word, and it gets in the way of play!

Hi, Martin.

I rode it this afternoon. It's the pro-link, B version, with fairing and panniers. Very nice, only 30K km. The owner, a bike mate, has been having troubles with starting - carbs: he's had them ultra-whatsit cleaned but still has to suck on a pipe to get petrol through to all six after it's been standing a few days! It certainly goes, but it's too, er, mushy for my tastes: I didn't know what the wheels were doing most of the time! While I rode the CBX, he rode my S3 to guide the way along the banks of the Vienne west of Limoges, and I fell in love with my own bike all over again, for the umpteenth time, just following it!

The CBX? It was like sitting on an armchair powered by a very powerful electric motor. Everything worked, and it did as it was told, but........... I think I'm not a CBX person. Neither is my mate, which is why he's selling it!

He told me that he thought the acid test for "feel" in a bike's handling, in his opinion, was whether, if you rode over a cigarette end, you knew it was a filter or not.......my S3 passed, apparently.

Whatever: you see, you can say no, gentlemen!

Martin, I'm with you on old bikes being used: mine get thrashed on a regular basis, and keep breaking. I keep inexpertly mending them: it keeps me off the streets and keeps people like Motomecca, RGM, Sportax and the excellent Oliver Barnes at Trisupply ticking over! The S3 and I will be at the Trofeo Rosso this weekend: I shall be going up with CBX mate, who'll be riding his Benelli six [he has a six cylinder fetish] and another local motard on his 1200 Sportster. Hopefully, we'll meet up with Andre, who's campaigning his T3/S3/LeMans/cafe racer/racer beauty [you've seen it here] and his equally beautiful Gambalunga special.

But don't tell BFG: he'll think I'm making it all up again...........

Bob,I have a mate with a CBX.It's nice enough to ride,but hellish expensive if anything goes wrong,especially with the top end.

Bob,I have a mate with a CBX.It's nice enough to ride,but hellish expensive if anything goes wrong,especially with the top end.

Thanks for that, Big J. My friend and I have agreed that I won't be buying his CBX. You're not the only person to have warned me off! I rode his Benelli 750 Sei back from Trofeo Rosso on Sunday - so different from the CBX and really rather nice. I think I'll stick with Guzzis, though.