Odometer vs. Tripmeter

Guest ckamin

Guest ckamin

Hey, who knows which reads what? I have a Califrnia V11 bike... I think I read here that one reads in miles and the other in increments of 2 kilometers. Anyone know off hand?

Also, on a trip yesterday I did 171 miles on 4 gallons, or just about 42 mpg or so.... How does this compare to other peoples bikes? This is on a V11 naked with a crossover, mufflers, and powercommander, all highway roughly 65mph-75mph.

Thanks!

Carl

Carl, I recall a posting of someone's tripmeter reading differently to the odometer but I would say it would be an exception, not the rule. Your gas mileage is very good, my '02 model which is stock except for a power commander, has done at best a fraction under 37 US mpg.

Rob

My tripmeter is way off, 10% at least. I got 42 MPG on my stock V11 untill my wife woke me up and said I was giggling in my sleep.

We get a LIVE GP race on the Rickey Bobby channel? Will wonders never cease.

DW

Hey, who knows which reads what? I have a Califrnia V11 bike... I think I read here that one reads in miles and the other in increments of 2 kilometers. Anyone know off hand?

Also, on a trip yesterday I did 171 miles on 4 gallons, or just about 42 mpg or so.... How does this compare to other peoples bikes? This is on a V11 naked with a crossover, mufflers, and powercommander, all highway roughly 65mph-75mph.

Thanks!

Carl

IIRC, the OP stated that the odometer reads correctly, but that if you reset the trip meter & then ride til the odo reads +10mi, your tripmeter will read 12? or so; he did the math & it turned out that the trip meter reads in 2km "mile" increments.

Net results:

If you calculate mpg using the tripmeter, you'll always be ecstatic with the great mileage your Guzzi is getting; if you actually calculate the corrected mileage from the odometer, you'll be... underwhelmed. :huh:

If you use your tripmeter as a "miles before empty" indicator, it all comes out in the wash, since you'll have "calibrated it" by carrying a small (filled) gas can on the back, filled the fuel tank, reset the trip meter, & then ridden your Guzzi dry. Noting the tripmeter at that point [let's say it read 240mi], filled from your little gas can and then driven to a gas station so you can really fill the tank. Henceforward, you know that you can go ) assuming will at least be repeatable... :wacko: ]

:grin: