Gearbox Rattle in Neutral

rick

I have a 2002 V11 Tenni. It runs ok and the engine is nice and quiet. There is a garbox rattle at tick over, this noise dissapears when the clutch is pulled in. My question is, do I have a problem or is it a case of "they all do that sir!!"

Thanks

Rick :(

I have a 2002 V11 Tenni. It runs ok and the engine is nice and quiet. There is a garbox rattle at tick over, this noise dissapears when the clutch is pulled in. My question is, do I have a problem or is it a case of "they all do that sir!!"

Thanks

Rick :(

they most do that sir. some like scura quiten with clutch engaged. 2 plate- single plate. :(

When the clutch is coupled, the rattling is the dogs of the tranny gears knocking together.

When the clutch is de-coupled, the noise is the rattling of clutch plates upon splines.

I've found if you pull in/out the lever several times while at a stop (in neutral of course) or coasting in to park you can always find a time (with the clutch lever released) where everything is closed up nicely and you hardly hear any rattles or nashing. I do this all the time now when I park. It also makes start up time later a quieter event (lets me hear the bella exhaust note better too). 2-3-4 times usually does the trick.

I've found if you pull in/out the lever several times while at a stop (in neutral of course) or coasting in to park you can always find a time (with the clutch lever released) where everything is closed up nicely and you hardly hear any rattles or nashing. I do this all the time now when I park. It also makes start up time later a quieter event (lets me hear the bella exhaust note better too). 2-3-4 times usually does the trick.

I just figured this out myself! Most of the time the rattle doesn't bother me, as both my previous bikes (Ducatis) had the same clutch noise, which I attribute to character. But it's nice to have the option. :mg:

Thanks for your replies, it is nice to know I am not about to experience a major failure. I have tried the clutch in and out trick and it works, good to have a choice of noise.

Thanks again

Rick :D

Doesnt the Tenni have the single plate clutch like the Scura & Rm?

Yes they are all single plates.

If I understand this correctly the Scura has a different single plate clutch to the other two. I don't think it is just a case of a later batch of "the same" but is actualy different. I haven't seen a part number comparison so I don't know if I've got the wrong end of the stick.