Did the stock ECU map change between the 01 shortframe and the 02'

robbiekb

There's a reason i'm asking. Turns out I have an ECU from an 02 LeMans in my bike , which is a 01 Redframe. Currently the bike is a bit lean off of idle and although much of this can be sorted with a dyno run to tune the PC111, I'm also wondering if i should force the dealer to actually provide me with the correct stock ECU.

I recently rode an 03 LeMans side by side with my shortframe and was surprised in how different the bikes really are. The 03 felt like it had a lighter flywheel, the motor was definitely spinning up faster.

Anyone know for sure if anythigng other than the frame changed when the 02's were ushered in that might mean that my stock ECU is incorrectly mapped ?

the fact i have a bastard ECU is another issue altogether that i won't mention on this forum because dealer bashing isn't cool.

..but then neither is dropping your bike off of the lift and then covering up the accident, oh and then lying about some of the uncoverable cosmetic damage to make it look like these were blemishes caused by poor build quality control at the factory.

sheesh no wonder it took forever to get my bike sorted, the dealer had already dropped it before i even picked it up!

I doubt the ECUs are different between 01 and 02.

Todd Eagan, Cliff Jeffries, or Wayne McDonald might know...

03 was probably a transition year for the ECU because they raised compression and added an exhaust balance pipe somewhere in 2003(earlier 2003 in Europe).

There were two titanium racing ECUs....I forget what the difference was for them :huh2:

Off idle can be effected by idle trim controlled by the dealers ECU software.

If the CO is set to Euro specs rather than USA specs, it will probably feel better.

Perhaps the dealer could reset your CO a little richer.

And of course getting your TPS set properly is the first thing to check....after following Carl's advice :)

Remember the TPS will effect the CO, so it should be set properly before adjusting the CO.

Many dealers also raise the TPS above factory spec to enrichen the over all mixture. I would not recommend this unless you were refusing to use a PCIII or better.

I am still waiting for TuneBoy to get the idle trim working. <_ but it easy enough to work around.>

yeah I did try with and withou the PCIII. The PCIII makes the bike rideable and stops it pinging heavily on california gas. The PCIII wouldn't cause the bike to be lean off of idle though regardless. The behavious is that even when youre trying to be smooth, the bike tends to want to fall into corners. I'm goign to get the PCIII dyno mapped but i figured i'd check to see if anyone knew of an ECU change that might have happened when they went to the longer frame.

I'll need to find out if Todd E's bike is an 02 or an 03. might be an 03 given that i think it had the smooth black engine paint instead of the crinkle paint of death.

Oh I forgot to say , Sean Fader has alerady set the TPS etc. He's really good and I trust his work implicitly.

I'll need to find out if Todd E's bike is an 02 or an 03. might be an 03 given that i think it had the smooth black engine paint instead of the crinkle paint of death.

I have an '03 LeMans and it has all the the features of the '04 bikes (43 mm fork, IT instruments, extra

exhaust crossover at the front), yet my bike still has the wrinkle finish engine paint, which fortunately hasn't bubbled yet. I bought the Ti exhaust kit which comes with a new ECU. As someone else has already mentioned, there are 2 versions of this kit, with the difference being the ECU. One is for early spec bikes and

the other is for late spec. When I bought the exhaust kit from MPH Cycle, they only asked me one question:

"Does your bike have the extra exhaust crossover, at the front, under the alternator?" That's what determines which spec ECU you should have. Crossover = late version........No crossover = early version.

If your buddies bike, regardless of what year it's supposed to be, has no front crossover and he gave you the original ECU, you have the right one. Although I'm a bit of a newcomer to the Guzzi world, I've quickly learned that the model years are a bit of a joke..............kind of like British bikes and cars in the 60's. I once bought an MGB that was titled as a '68 but turned out to be a '66!

Ken

The main difference is "with O2-probe" or "without O2-probe".

Nevertheless, on Anima Guzzista you can find this interesting graph showing the differences between models with front crossover and without it.

pic00782--.gif

Should this be true, what I doubt, then probably there is more difference between the ecus than just the O2 probe.

Hubert

Robbie,

I'd drop Todd a line, but I suspect that a proper dynolinking will resolve all your issues. Just had my 02 Lemans done by Louie, runs perfect now, used to die and have real problems at lower RPM

Jon

00-01 V11 Sport ECU 01729530

2002 Lemans ECU 01729531

I believe the number changes from the 30 to the 31, will have to check tomorrow when I have

all the rest of my "stuff"

2003 Vll Lemans ECU 01729590

Luhbo, no oxy sensor in the USA on V11's

will edit when I check the other number.

no mapping info is provded to dealers--->>>>

Oh I forgot to say , Sean Fader has alerady set the TPS etc. He's really good and I trust his work implicitly.

I wonder if the CO trim was part of his tune-up. :huh2: It does require the expensive computer program and a computer...

It is wise in general to leave it set to US emission standards, but if you have this little problem it may be worth asking him about it.

I am sure you could fix the problem with a small modification to the PCIII map, but I think it is more appropriate to set the CO at the ECU.

If you want to try to resolve it yourself, simply TEMPORARILY use the PCIII buttons to enrichen it a little in the Low range. If it helps, undo the buttons and try to make the appropriate tweaks to the PCIII map.

Or just take it back to Sean, as it may only take him 15minutes to fix it.

I read the ECU ID code from my 2000 and my friends 2003 V11 naked (no catalyst) by using the ultimap software

Its definitely the same: 3D02VS9F

I suppose all models prior to the catalyst equipped bikes have the same mapping.

I also believe that setting the fuel trim will adress the the lean off-idle condition. A dealer with the Axone tester or a tuner with the Ultimap software are able to do the adjustment. Go for 3 - 3,5 % CO at idle, that should work well for a near standard bike.