V11 Seat Compatibility

Lamedog

My sepcial order replacement seat from Guzzi has been met with 14 weeks of no response other than "backorder". Options through this group turned up an '01 model seat which didn't fit due to interference with the ECU. Today I called Harper's (my dealers recommendation, and they were able to find an '03 Ballabio seat, which looks identical in photos. Apparently there is some Guzzi parts software confirming the seats are interchangable, though there may be minor cosemtic variations which I don't care about. I'm kicking myself that I didn't open this option up earlier :doh: , and perhaps a bit dissappointed my local dealer didn't advise this path :huh2:. But perhaps this is high risk behavior. I would be delighted if anyone with thoughts or cautions, or particularly those based on actual experience, would share them here. Piling on is OK, if not particularly good manners...

I definitely do NOT want to know why you need a septical seat. :)

Seriously- do you have the original seat pan? If so, send it to Rich Maund and you'll get a seat that is more comfortable, you'll get it faster, and "your ass will thank you"®

The septic seat results from undeserved confidence in my typing skills combined with forgetting to spellcheck. Rich's seats are great (I got one on trial but didn't fit since its for '01). My existing seat is a Rick Mayer and I'll put a plug in here, even though I have been unable to sit in a Maund seat for any period of time. I have sat in the Mayer saddle for 10+ hours and note that friends on Triumph Sprints, BMW GS & R1150, etc. regularly need to stand and stretch and wiggle. Now a little is healthy, but a lot is not a pretty sight since mid 40's guys are not my type.

Also, the fit and finish of this leather saddle can be a real treat. However, this is a dedicated touring thingie which limits how aggressive you can be. The advantages of Rich Maund's seat is that it goes both ways and keeps a fairly stock look. And he's extremely helpful to this forum. Thanks Rich!