USA rear shock replacement options

Ray

Hey All,

Been a while since I chimed in; still running my 2000, now at 19,000 miles and change. I just got back from a 1700 mile run around Quebec and the Gaspe, hit some rough roads and blew the seals on my rear Sachs shock. I'd like to know my options; most alternatives I could find on the site seem sourced from Europe.

Are there any cross-listed Ohlins shocks for DUCATI, Buell, or Triumph? I can get a dealer price through Parts Unlimited, but they do not list Moto Guzzi units. If there's a straight swap, I'd gert it significantly cheaper than ordering it elsewhere. Other options? Rebuild the Sachs for better performance?

By the way, the Gaspe and north coast of the St. Laurence was magnificent, empty, and full of fast, big sweepers with next to no traffic. Nice and cool too, and found Quebecois quite friendly and accomodating (I speak French).

Merci beaucoup en avance...

Hi Ray, I'd suggest using the ever magical "search" button as this topic has been a popular one. I spent about 2 min and found these. cheers.

1st link is from Ohlins.com...go down to the recommendation list....it does list moto guzzi v11. Part # is 46HRCS

http://www.damper.se/Motorcycle/Hidden/Rec...10/Default.aspx

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...ic=5454&hl=

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...ic=6072&hl=

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...ic=5488&hl=

gh.

Had looked through those; thought I might find updated information. Parts Unlimited does not list the MG127, thought there might be a direct swap. It is a 46 HRCS, but mounting hardware likely differs from the BMW F650, Gixxer, VFR, and Ducati (Monster S4R, ST) applications: eye diameters. rod length, spring tension; they are all listed as different part nos.

I may see if P.U. will source the Guzzi kit although it's unlisted in the catalog.

Thanks for the help. Any other bright ideas?

Thanks for the help. Any other bright ideas?

No, just :2c:

Ouji Veck's solution is your cheapest.

You have many options for aftermarket shocks if you look to Europe....Wilbers may offer the most for the money.

For American made, I suspect the only options are Penske and Works Performance.

I tried talking to Works Performance, but they seemed strangely reluctant to sell me what I wanted, a shock with the length and travel of the Ohlins but with High and Low compression and rebound damping adjusters.

I was expecting enthusiasm but got scepticism and doubt. Maybe it was my approach... :huh2:

Mike Stewart got a decent Penske made, but I think it took two returns and even then, the travel was a little short for touring.

If I can get a Penske built to Ohlins dimensions, I may go that route, or to save money, a custom Wilbers has similar quality and features for alot less money.

Ohlins, Wilbers, HyperPro, and Hagon can all be ordered through US distributors.

It's time to re-juice my Sachs...this time it only lasted

+-3000mi...Theres got to be a shock off a big 4 Co. that will

slap right into these things.

Been shopping on e-bay and even bid on a Penske..8900 series.

I figure those things are so rebuildable if I got the basic 8900 I could

start from there ...

I see a few shocks on e-bay that come close. Some Ducs/ Honda Hawk I think.

I gotta get down to Cycle Salvage with shock in hand make them let me

play in thier shock bin. They have hundreds and hundreds of shocks.

The right Showa would make me plenty happy....especially for 75$

This is my Guzzi religion...it's farm equipment, not exotic racing bling.

I hate bling....else I'd have an OCC chopper or chromed out Hyabusa.

Gaspe Peninsula!!! Yea Man!! As good or better than Cape Breton.

Spent a couple of rain days in Quebec and was drinking a Fin du Monde...

"end of the world? Lets go there!!" We did....it was. Gorgeous ride.

Down through the twisty piney woods, Up over the panoramic spine,

down around the 90mph sweeper on the cove with the indian reservation

and water falls...repeat repeat repeat...all day. Can't wait to go back.

Ouij,

I'm with you. I was wondering how your Sachs rebuild worked out. Sounds like it's not the right way to go.

I can't recommend Gaspe highly enough. Also rode the north shore of the St. Laurence from Quebec to Baie Comeau, the gateway to Labrador. Empty, well-maintained roads, like riding in Europe without the airfare, great accomodations and food. I split my time between camping and small inns (auberges). Came back through Northern Maine and ran back down the coast to Bangor and hopped on the interstate to avoid the traffic of the mid-coast. I think some of the BosWash urban-trapped easterners would like the Texas-like elbow room, with only a short hop up to Quebec, and the hell with the language barrier. Passports are still not required, but helpful. The border crossing was a half hour on the way up, 5 mins on the way back.

I've driven to Cape Breton and Newfoundland, but never on the bike. That's more of a time commitment. I'd do it if they ever get the Cape Breton TT off the ground.

Dave, as always, your input is reliable and to the point. I'll look for Wilbers' US distributor.

My brother is a Parts Unlimited dealer and I'll see if he can make any headway in ordering the MG127 through them.

Thanks, guys.

Dave, as always, your input is reliable and to the point. I'll look for Wilbers' US distributor.

If the Ohlins does not pan out through PU, check with RatchetHack, as I believe he is the process of a Wilbers order.

If he does not reply to this thread, you might private message him.

My only concern with the Wilbers is the dimensions. They will make it your custom length, just not sure if they can give it the travel I want.