Dyno Test - PC111

turo

I realize this topic has been covered to death, so I will admit my ignorance now!

I am ignorant.

At 5000 miles the Rossa Corsa is becoming a greater pleasure to ride. I am quite surprised how the engin "breaks in".

Anyway my pipes have been bluing, so I did a search on how best to clean them,

which led me to read that I may be running too rich.

This led me to the PC111.

I'm not really sure I want to add the PC111.

It seems like just another thing to go wrong and I am happy with the bikes performance.

I guess I just don't want to miss out on anything :D

What advantages will a dyno test give me?

What exactly does it do?

How is it different from what the PC111 does?

Who is Todd, the person often referenced in the PC111 discusasion?

Thanks in advance!!!!!

-john

No, generally it means you are running too lean.

What exactly does it do?

A "dyno test" simply measures maximum horse power and torque at almost every rpm.

The reasons for dyno testing are:

1. to brag about, or to satisfy your curiousity about how much power you are producing.

2. to let you know how much power you are making now so that when you make modifications, you can see the difference.

3. to see your air to fuel ratio (how rich or lean you are running) Usually this is only indicated at WOT (wide open throttle)

Beyond simple "dyno testing" is "dyno tuning"

Dyno tuning is using the dynometer to simulate riding conditions and measure (and maximize) power, while you modify the bike by changing mufflers, air filters, engine parts, timing, fuel mixture, etc.

The PCIII on the V11 is simply a device to modify the fuel mixture. It modifies it across a map. The PCIII map tells the fuel injectors how much more or less fuel to inject at every throttle opening and RPM.

You can likely download a map that will match your modifications and make your bike run better. You may think your bike runs perfectly now, but after most PCIII installations people find there bike runs better. Problems like surging, popping, pinging, flat power, and too blue of pipes are reduced or go away.

When the PCIII is combined with the Dyno Tuning you should get even better results. To do this, DynoJet uses something known as "Tuning Link" to semi-automatically modify the fuel mixture at the most important points on the "map".

It does this using the dynometer and a sophisticated oxygen sensor.

This process is much quicker and usually cheaper than having someone modify the mixture, then test on the dyno, than modify again, then test again for several hours to create an optimal map. But the slow method using meters that measure more than the oxygen sensor does, can produce near perfect results.

But how perfect do you really need it?

I realize this topic has been covered to death, so I will admit my ignorance now!

I am ignorant.

At 5000 miles the Rossa Corsa is becoming a greater pleasure to ride. I am quite surprised how the engin "breaks in".

This led me to the PC111.

I'm not really sure I want to add the PC111.

It seems like just another thing to go wrong and I am happy with the bikes performance.

I guess I just don't want to miss out on anything :D

What exactly does it do?

Who is Todd, the person often referenced in the PC111 discusasion?

Thanks in advance!!!!!

-john

Todd is the guy who rectifies your lack of PCIII knowledge and PCIII issue. See: http://www.guzzitech.com/PCIII.html

No, you don't absolutely need it, but yes, you do absolutely want it. ^_^

Todd Eagan is known as racerx on this forum.

He can sell you a PCIII for a little over $300(I think???) and offer great technical support to ensure you have a good map.

Another good person to talk to is John Tavolacci aka johnt.

Here is a write-up on his bike

http://www.guzzitech.com/JTsRosso-PtII-John_T.html

He owns or owned Dyno Solutions in Danbury, CT which may be close enough for you, and since he knows Guzzis, he would be the best man to set you up if you wanted to get the PCIII with the Dyno Tuning which would likely result in a somewhat better map than what Todd would provide. But then your price roughly doubles to five or six hundred dollars, which may not be necessary if the bike already works so well.

What is the matter with Americans and PCIII???

I still don't get it.

Why do we keep switching channels with the remote?

Because we can!

With a stock bike the PC III is a novelty and dyno tuning a luxury.

When you start derestricting your exhaust and airbox, being able to alter your fuel map is a necessity.

DW

Stock bike with PC III

we keep switching channels with the remote

Aaa-ha! So, you get a remote with the PCIII.

I get it.

How many time in one ride do you change your channel?

You do this with the left or the right hand?

Or do you also get as a optional some remote attribute to stick it in the mouth and change your channel with the mouth? or maybe with your tongue?

Does some lucky American guys get some remote attribute with their PCIII to stick it in the ass and change channel during the ride with some contraction of his ass?

Jee, we still don’t have some nice piece technology here in Europe.

What is the matter with Americans and PCIII???

I still don't get it.

As far as I'm concerned it's like jetting a carburetor. On carbureted bike you need to change the jetting to take advantage of intake and exhaust modifications, and sometimes just to get the bike to run right since because the factory jetting isn't always optimal. Many bikes sold in the US are lean in the midrange due to our environmental requirements. The only way to "jet" a fuel injected bike is to change the fuel map. PCIII lets you do this.

Aaa-ha! So, you get a remote with the PCIII.

. . .

Does some lucky American guys get some remote attribute with their PCIII to stick it in the ass and change channel during the ride with some contraction of his ass?

Jee, we still don’t have some nice piece technology here in Europe.

Yes, Antonio, the sphincter-operated remote is the most popular option for the PCIII in the US.

Why do we keep switching channels with the remote?

Because we can!

With a stock bike the PC III is a novelty and dyno tuning a luxury.

When you start derestricting your exhaust and airbox, being able to alter your fuel map is a necessity.

DW

Stock bike with PC III

So, you found the PCIII to be nothing more than a novelty in your current configuration?

When my bike was stock, I found the PCIII made it smoother and more pleasant to ride.

But then again my TPS setting could have been off about that time, possibly making the bike too lean without the PCIII.

Thanks everyone,

It looks like off to Danbury, CT I go!

Two more questions.

Can Dyno Tuning alone without the PC111 give me better performance.

Where do I get one of those remotes Antonio was talking about, that's something I need :D

-john

Thanks everyone,

It looks like off to Danbury, CT I go!

Let me know when you go -- I like to watch!

In response to Mr. Laing: I got my bike from Moto International and it was very nicely set up. It ran fine with the stock map, if a little hot. Not all bikes get their initial setup from the firm of Field and Richardson <_>

The PC III was an improvement but that could be wishful thinking as I did not dyno before and after. Since I plan to do pipes and airbox in the future the PC III was a logical first step. I have had the bike for a year and a little over 3.5K so it is still in break-in.

DW