Murphy struck, I need advice

guzzi jon

After seaking counseling, and putting things in perspective, I am now requesting any advice that you folks may have. In perhaps my stupidest and easily avoidable activity, I have damaged both sides of my once perfect 02 Lemans. I have a smallish 2-car garage with 5 bikes and the wifes Saturn. While moving the lemans to give her room to get into the car, I slipped on some oil my SS had decided to leak, the bike fell into her car and smashed the front right turn signal (she claims the car was scraped, but that's another battle) In my effort to lift the Lemans off the ground, with my wifes help, we went to far and it fell on it's left side, taking out the left front turnsignal and gouging the fairing where it sticks out by the signal and a bit of gougin on the pipes. After ruling out suicide, and walking around the block convincing myself that my lot in life is far better than most poor bastards, I've regained my composure. What I would like from this group is any suggestion on turn signal replacement other than stock, mine are in bits, and perhaps a suggestion for finding some touch up paint locally. Any suggestions are appreciated, and apologies if I seem a bit of a whiner, I'm still in the freaked out mode.

Cheers,

Jon

Serious editing:

1. I have 5 bikes and the wife

2. my lot in life is far better than most poor bastards, I've regained my composure.

Jon

Hi Jon, We're here for you!!

You will get through this.

Buell signals seem to be the answer for most folks.

They will chime in, I am sure.

Any garage incident that does not involve a police report, a divorce lawyer, or a criminal record, is a good one.. :D

Guest ratchethack

. . . .Any suggestions are appreciated, and apologies if I seem a bit of a whiner, I'm still in the freaked out mode.

Cheers,

Jon

Jon, if it's any comfort, in the long run, I propose that this will be looked upon in retrospect a blessing.

EXPLANATON: The sheer horror will diminish in its intensity fairly quickly as the benefit of hindsight kicks in. From this point forward, all future nicks, gouges, rock dings, and little stuff that would otherwise tend to elevate y'er blood pressure steadily over time and eventually create a throbber out of that once-dormant vein at y'er temple will pass as quickly and as easily as roadkill on the tarmac -- and as quickly forgotten. You'll be more relaxed and in many ways, in possession of a newly liberated frame of mind with which to enjoy the sheer exhilaration of moving y'erself and y'er machine across this wonderful planet on a still-beautiful Guzzi that y'er no longer a slave to by way of its perfection. Proportions and perspectives will re-align, a new ease will assert itself, and all will be well with the world -- even better than before. ;)

If you can find a Piaggio scooter dealer, you've more'n likely found shelf stock of the same turn-signals and stalks. They're lots cheaper (~$11 USD) than at y'er Guzzi dealer.

May I also suggest a large snifter of Remy Martin and a fine cigar. I've found this to be a most excellent prescription for the restoration of perspective. Works every time. ;)B)

Thanks Gents, I'm gettin over it, but of the five bikes, one is an unridden honda 250 rebel I'm trying to sell, and the other is a 2000 Kawasaki ZX-9R that I also want to rid myself of. however, I do now have stronger faith in a supreme being as my Eldo was spared, two years ago, it damaged my wifes car in a similar incident, however, by devine intervetion the Eldo was unscathed as presumably plastic was some futuristic stuff used in Japan at the time. Guess I best start sucking up to the missus, she seems to have a similar affinity for her car as I do my guzzi's. Todd, when you goin to start sellin Buells and scooters so we can pilfer parts....

Cheers,

Jon

Serious editing:

Hi Jon, We're here for you!!

You will get through this.

Buell signals seem to be the answer for most folks.

They will chime in, I am sure.

Any garage incident that does not involve a police report, a divorce lawyer, or a criminal record, is a good one.. :D

Daayyuumm, that sucks.

I have three Guzzis of my own, plus Jen's leaky Honda Dream and Buell Blast, plus houseguest for the summer Karen's Scarabeo scooter, all lined up on one side of the garage. I have to move them all the time and fear that one day I'll slip on the Honda's oil and the carnage will be like in that scene from the movie PeeWee's Big Adventure, where the bikes fall like dominos.

In your case, maybe this is actually an opportunity. We all know that the LeMans fairing is big and ugly and useless, so maybe it's time to go naked? I know a deserving guy in Seattle who would be happy to recyle that fairing for you . . . .

Hey Jon - I have the same setup - a two car garage with five bikes and MY car (the wife's wagon sits in the driveway). Awhile back when I was moving stuff around, I forgot that the Rosso was half in and half out of the garage so I hit the door closer! The gods were feeling pretty good that day because the door stopped right in the middle of the seat and no damage was done. Had it hit he gas tank I would probably not still be around to write this. :homer:

Jon, if it's any comfort, in the long run, I propose that this will be looked upon in retrospect a blessing.

EXPLANATON: The sheer horror will diminish in its intensity fairly quickly as the benefit of hindsight kicks in. From this point forward, all future nicks, gouges, rock dings, and little stuff that would otherwise tend to elevate y'er blood pressure steadily over time and eventually create a throbber out of that once-dormant vein at y'er temple will pass as quickly and as easily as roadkill on the tarmac -- and as quickly forgotten. You'll be more relaxed and in many ways, in possession of a newly liberated frame of mind with which to enjoy the sheer exhilaration of moving y'erself and y'er machine across this wonderful planet on a still-beautiful Guzzi that y'er no longer a slave to by way of its perfection. Proportions and perspectives will re-align, a new ease will assert itself, and all will be well with the world -- even better than before. ;)

If you can find a Piaggio scooter dealer, you've more'n likely found shelf stock of the same turn-signals and stalks. They're lots cheaper (~$11 USD) than at y'er Guzzi dealer.

May I also suggest a large snifter of Remy Martin and a fine cigar. I've found this to be a most excellent prescription for the restoration of perspective every time. ;)B)

Colour me impressed, Ratchet! I like your philosophy there! Concisely expressed. :thumbsup:

I'll just take the liberty of deleting the cigar ( Shame I used to like them ) and Brandy ( Once again used to like that too! :doh: ) and inserting a couple of real ales ;) That is one of the few nourishing indulgences I am still allowed! :drink:

Nige. B)

While moving the lemans to give her room to get into the car, I slipped on some oil my SS had decided to leak, the bike fell into her car and smashed the front right turn signal (she claims the car was scraped, but that's another battle) In my effort to lift the Lemans off the ground, with my wifes help, we went to far and it fell on it's left side, taking out the left front turnsignal and gouging the fairing where it sticks out by the signal and a bit of gougin on the pipes.

My condolences Jon.

Rest assured though, had it happened to me, I'd have managed to sprain my ankle or worse in the process.

Shit happens to all of us :drink:

Rest assured though, had it happened to me, I'd have managed to sprain my ankle or worse in the process.

Just a week or so ago I was straddling the V11 moving it around in the garage. Once I had it in position I stood up and went to lean it back on the side stand............. :homer: Trouble is I had forgotten to put the stand back down. I more or less kept the bike from falling to the ground by supporting it with my left leg. All the weight was focused on my ankle and as we (the bike and I) stood there balanced and unable to move, I was just waiting for my ankle to explode. The ankle held and I finally managed to slowly right the bike with no damage to man or machine other than a three day limp.

After seaking counseling, and putting things in perspective, I am now requesting any advice that you folks may have. In perhaps my stupidest and easily avoidable activity, I have damaged both sides of my once perfect 02 Lemans. I have a smallish 2-car garage with 5 bikes and the wifes Saturn. While moving the lemans to give her room to get into the car, I slipped on some oil my SS had decided to leak, the bike fell into her car and smashed the front right turn signal (she claims the car was scraped, but that's another battle) In my effort to lift the Lemans off the ground, with my wifes help, we went to far and it fell on it's left side, taking out the left front turnsignal and gouging the fairing where it sticks out by the signal and a bit of gougin on the pipes. After ruling out suicide, and walking around the block convincing myself that my lot in life is far better than most poor bastards, I've regained my composure. What I would like from this group is any suggestion on turn signal replacement other than stock, mine are in bits, and perhaps a suggestion for finding some touch up paint locally. Any suggestions are appreciated, and apologies if I seem a bit of a whiner, I'm still in the freaked out mode.

Cheers,

Jon

Jon, you are a saint ... or, at least, more self-disciplined than I am. I'd still be cursing or stewing or both. :D

As for turn signals, I looked both Buell and Piaggio ones form my Ballabio and found them "not quite right."

OTOH, did find that those on a new Triumph Speed Triple, and, I think, other Triumphs, were almost exact matches, with the "almost" an improvement as the lights were identical to the original except the stalks were flexible.

I don't have the parts #'s with me, but can provide.

Two points before you get too excited. At $38USD or so, ain't cheap. OTOH, breaking 'em as I did by walking too near :homer: in my tight garage (a Honda Civic and only 2 Guzzis ... BN: Before Norge! ... in my case) is less likely. :rolleyes:

Ouch! :homer:

That is awful -- sorry that had to happen.

I can only imagine how bad I would feel if it happened to me.

I agree with what's been posted -- you have a greater capacity than I do for letting water fall off your back. :notworthy:

Jon, sorry to hear your sad tale, but it sounds like you've gotten some good advice. Thank goodness the Eldo made it through. Now that would be a shame.

The rest of you louts. Yer not even trying! I've got 9 bikes, INCLUDING a sidecar in my two car garage with a car to boot. neener neener.

• 2 weeks later...

Happier ending,

I was expecting a forturne for the replacement signals, the local Buell dealer sold me the signals with all the bulbs and cooler tinted lenses for $12 each, the guzzi appears to use identical to what the buells, run, so I noticed the nice new buell lightning footpets that are lower, but not much wider that the stock Lemans, got them too, Rich Maund redid my seat, so a half hour of installation, and finding a painter to do a bit of touch up and I'll have a new and improved ride. Now for some panniers...

Cheers,

Jon

Guest ratchethack

Processing nicely, Jon. It's always a pleasure to see those proportions and perspectives in proper re-alignment, a new ease asserting itself, and that all will soon be well with the world -- even better than before. ;)

Now for another large snifter of Remy Martin and - if y'can get one - a Cohiba Habano. -_-:wub: