shifter problem on V11

dodobatailleur

Hi everyone. I could not enter the suggested form to introduce myself so here I go first with this part. First of all, I am french from Quebec Canada so my english could look bad at some points.

I bought last winter (-30 here with snow) a V11 Le Mans with 5000 miles on ity, one owner. I had sold my Harley FXD 2003 and my Tiger 1998. I was a bit stressed about having only one bike and not knowing if I would love it as much as those two.

Lucky me, I really fell in love with the bike, yes the look, but most important the feeling you get on it, the sound and the goog driving position that you do need to get used to.

The previous owner had put on the bike heated grips, MG pipes with chip, a garage central stand, a MG cover and he also gave me the mechanical reference book.

So far, I had to buy a footpeg and it seems impossible to order so I checked at my Ducati garage and found that the ones used on the Ducks were almost identical and most important fitted right there (without the spring).

Anyway, I do have a problem with the bike: When downshifting form 5 to 4 or 4 to 3, the shifter will stay down and will only come up if the clutch is let go. Anything any of you experienced in the past and what would be the remedy?

Thanks!

Guy Gravel

Guest Gary Cheek

At long last another sharing the affliction. My 2001 V11 Sport was the slickest shifting Guzzi I had ever owned. I was totally tickled with the snappy, clean shifts. Hadn't had an Italian bike that shifted that nice since my old 1974 Ducati Bevel drive 750 Sport .

Sorry day when I took it in for the transmission recall. It turned into a palin old Guzzi like box with an added,very annoying habit. From time to time, the shift lever would stay down when down shifting. Not all the time just whenever it was most inopportune. Like a payback from MGNA. You cannot pull it back up. The only thing that will release the stupid lever is to STOP or pull in the clutch lever. A few months after the update while riding home from the MichiGuzzi Rally the bike sprung a nasty leak. Returned the bike to the dealer and asked him to check out the sticky wicket shifter. They fixed the leak and could not find any reason for the sticking shifter. I have resigned myself to the fact that I will have to strip down the gearbox this winter and find the source. Recently there has been an added incentive since the o-ring sealed shaft on the side cover is now leaking. Not bad but that tranny oil drops onto the X-over and the smell is kinda rough the morning after.

<_< Stay tuned I'll let you know what I find. <_<

Oh well. all of those years on thirty year old Guzzis and no leaks. Now I have a low mileage late model with more problems than the last ten altogether! That's PROGRESS :rolleyes: