camshaft v11 sport

Guest tobias

Arse.Feck.Drink. :(

My sentiment exactly.

I met my tame mechanic today who gave me the same salutation.

I have what is techically called "a shagged camshaft" which now requires replacement and engine rebuilding, if this breakdown/repair hassle continues I'm going to be fully qualified with a second livelyhood repairing V11 guzzis!

I will shortly have a almost totally non standard V11 scura with only the bubbling engine cases as standard!

May it rain sh1t on that camshaft wanker :moon:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bugger.

His your mechanic noticed anything which may have contributed to the cam failure?Or is it maybe just a case of poor hardening.(sorry)

If you get a secondhand one,it would be worthwhile having it nitrided to give it a good hard skin to stop this happening again.I dunno if Guzzi cam followers are radiused,but it might be an idea to have that done too.

May I respectfully suggest that the best method of recycling your old cam would,on your next trip to Italy,take the camshaft with you,go on the factory tour,and ram it as far up the arse of the heat treatment area foreman as hard as you can.Scant consolation,but he might think twice about switching off the ovens and going for tea next time.

I will shortly have a almost totally non standard V11 scura with only the bubbling engine cases as standard!

It'll soon be like that favourite old spade that you'd never want to change,

that's had 6 replacement handles and 4 new blades.

Bugger.

His your mechanic noticed anything which may have contributed to the cam failure?Or is it maybe just a case of poor hardening.(sorry)

If you get a secondhand one,it would be worthwhile having it nitrided to give it a good hard skin to stop this happening again.I dunno if Guzzi cam followers are radiused,but it might be an idea to have that done too.

May I respectfully suggest that the best method of recycling your old cam would,on your next trip to Italy,take the camshaft with you,go on the factory tour,and ram it as far up the arse of the heat treatment area foreman as hard as you can.Scant consolation,but he might think twice about switching off the ovens and going for tea next time.

I think it has been a case :grin: of poor hardening. I'm going with the http://www.hmb-guzzi.de/ treatment of a new (remanufactured) camshaft/springs etc. I'm sending them heads,camshaft and pistons to get a complete fitting done. I'm going for a "mild" cam as I spend no time over 5,000 RPM and prefer torque to horsepower. I want a sports tourer not a cafe racer.

I am really disappointed with the quality of the recent 2002 Guzzi product. I'm probally just their average customer but I'm sure of one thing.....it's the last they will see of my money. A bike with less than 25,000 miles having both its clutch/flywheel and camshaft replaced with a shitty engine case which has not received any customer support, is more than enough for me.

Don't get me wrong, I like the product but can't take any more the poor quality and lack of customer care.

That is too bad.

This is entirely based on my own anecdotal evidence, but it just seems like most Guzzis are as reliable as gravity, but there's the occasional one that's a real dump.

I am really disappointed with the quality of the recent 2002 Guzzi product. I'm probally just their average customer but I'm sure of one thing.....it's the last they will see of my money. A bike with less than 25,000 miles having both its clutch/flywheel and camshaft replaced with a shitty engine case which has not received any customer support, is more than enough for me.

Don't get me wrong, I like the product but can't take any more the poor quality and lack of customer care.

Hi John

"really disappointed" is an understatement, isn't it? You've got a case (ahem) for being really, really, really, disappointed. It is verging on tragic that there has been such a run of disproportionate problems with a relatively small, uncomplicated package at low mileage (no not you – the bike). What makes it so much worse is, indeed, the poor customer support. My troubles are miniscule in comparison (so far) but it's now a year since I ordered trifling parts, e.g. rear wheel spacer, and still there is no sign of anything arriving with me. Disgraceful. *No one in the Guzzi system seems to care.* Back to your scale of problem and it's the same. Shattering flywheels! Who cares? Baldini has been shouting about it: only Guzzi has a finger in their collective ear. If any of us had a similar approach to health and safety matters in our business/work, we'd be liable to see a courtroom, at the least.

It's a rum do, when I can't ride a very low mileage bike from Belfast to Dublin without the gearbox sticking in second. I may be at fault somewhere in the problem, but still – it's a well maintained bike, more carefully fettled than many machines on the road (I would guess). I think of the old XL250 that I had once: it was a comparably simple machine, bought used, with miles of use and abuse on it. It had a much harder life, especially given its size/power, with constant daily riding. It strained up mountains and down valleys, sometimes two-up with camping gear –and it never gave the sort of problems that we're talking about here, never left me stranded (except in a snow blizzard) –––– and I could get parts for it!

Today I went out to a small bike shop that took on Guzzi dealership a while ago. I wanted to see a Griso for real. Like many a small shop it's run by a family with enthusiasm. You might remember the son, Gary Dynes, who was doing well in the sport at home and at the IOM TT and who was tragically killed at the Monaghan roadrace only weeks after Joey Dunlop's death. (That was a dark year, with seven killed in the sport, in this small Province). However, they don't know MG and haven't ridden them. I wonder how they can cope – unless there really is a turn-around in the quality of the new models and in the quality of factory support once the new ownership finally gets sorted out. (By contrast, at the other side of the town there is a big modern dealership run by local hero, Philip McCallen. A few years ago he considered taking on MG, or was approached to take a dealership, but not surprisingly, he didn't touch 'em.)

If things don't change for the better, Guzzi will remain a small, enthusiasts' brand and as you have expressed, there is a practical limit to enthusiasm.

If it weren't for the fact that you are a Celtic Tiger, I would recommend that you get one of those girly bikes that JRT has bought.

I think it has been a case :grin: of poor hardening. I'm going with the http://www.hmb-guzzi.de/ treatment of a new (remanufactured) camshaft/springs etc. I'm sending them heads,camshaft and pistons to get a complete fitting done. I'm going for a "mild" cam as I spend no time over 5,000 RPM and prefer torque to horsepower. I want a sports tourer not a cafe racer.

I dont blame you.They're good bikes let down by a totally apathetic after "care" policy.

And seemingly haphazard quality control.

Hopefully this'll be the last of your woes.

Just to maybe lift your mood.A guy I work with last year bought a new ZX6R Kawa from that big shop on the Long Mile Rd in Dublin.You'll probably know where I mean.It's restricted cos he's not long passed his test.The box locked solid recently,so as it's under warranty,he took it in.

Apparently it's his fault,they say he's not changing gear properly.

At the moment,the bill's at 4 grand and climbing.He's disputing their claims and they're charging him storage by the day.

IMHO, I've heard too many stories,from riders of all types of machinery,to trust any manufacturer/dealer unless i've personally had good business with them.They're all c*nts,except a very select few.

Just to maybe lift your mood...

a new ZX6R Kawa ...

The box locked solid recently...

Apparently it's his fault...

the bill's at 4 grand and climbing...

they're charging him storage by the day...

I've heard too many stories,from riders of all types of machinery,to trust any manufacturer/dealer

:rolleyes::wacko:

Hey Big J – don't try to lift my mood :!: :grin:

Hey John - sorry to see it's landed you in the sh1t again. Maybe you need to keep working backwards... a WELL SORTED ROUND BARRELL TONTI should be pretty solid for you....you can still pick em up pretty cheap over here & loadsa spares. No question the V11 was a halfway house bike for a co on it's heels...seems like they wanna forget they ever made em. Sod em. Good luck mate. You deserve it.

KB :sun:

.... I'm going with the http://www.hmb-guzzi.de/ treatment of a new (remanufactured) camshaft/springs etc. I'm sending them heads,camshaft and pistons to get a complete fitting done. ....

Instead of this HMB I'd strongly recommend HT-Moto in Aachen. I made business with none of them, but all what I've heard so far HT-Moto is the much better reputed shop.

HMB recently wrote an article about the 750-S3. Giving Porsches light signals at above 210 km/h and more of such crap.

Hubert

The saga continues:

Took down the cylinders last night to find the reason for the knock was a shagged left side big end!

I'm really glad I have a centauro to ride as I will need some relaxation from this STRESS>>>>>>>AGH!

The girly bike looks more and more appealing. :whistle:

Maybe I was using the wrong engine oil and should have been using a blend of mascarpone cheese to lovingly bathe the soft metal components :huh2:

So is the cam ok after all or is the big end toast too? :o

Is the oil pump ok?If both are gone it sounds like a lubrication problem.

I looked at that web site.I like the cut of that fella's jib.Nice gear.