header issues

pShenk

Is there supposed to be a gasket where the header meets the head? I took mine out this weekend to put in a stucci x-over, and I didn't see no gaskets. Putting headers back, it seems like they are just loosely pressing against the inside of the cylinder head, and then clamped against it. But there is play around the diameter of the header pipe (the clamp holds it very firm, or course).

Anyway, I noticed some popping, semi-back firing today, so I was wondering if these are on correctly. Also, I removed the charcoal filter, and the vacum tube that goes into the air intake... there is a little nozzle there that I haven't done anything about yet. Maybe the popping is due to this "leak" in the intake side?

Another maybe stupid question. The inside of the header and the head itself is totally soot-black. Is this cool? I was thinking maybe it's a symptom of a poor fuel-air mix.

Well there should be a gasket, but it might be hard to see. When you had the things apart, its a good idea to put fresh gaskets in, they are cheap. If the engine is cold, feel with your hand if it is leaking there. A bit black isn't bad, as long as its no coal. You need to drive faster to get rid of that.

Anyway, I noticed some popping, semi-back firing today, so I was wondering if these are on correctly. Also, I removed the charcoal filter, and the vacum tube that goes into the air intake... there is a little nozzle there that I haven't done anything about yet. Maybe the popping is due to this "leak" in the intake side?

Yes, you should definitely install vacuum caps over these. Another option would be to run a single vacuum line that connects the 2 together. Either way, you don't want to leave these open, as it will screw up your mixture.

I have my exhaust system off just now and asked (myself) same question. Didn't see any, and decided answer was "no."

Luckily, I knew better than to trust myself, and, while many here think I post all my dumb questions on this site, the reality is I am not ashamed to ask my dealer now and then, too. :doh:

One of the service guys said to use a light hook and work gently and I'd find a gasket as he'd put one in there!

So ... I did and he was right. They had no Guzzi parts (surprise), but gave me a set of Ducati ones that fit like a champ. :luigi:

Bill

Yeah, I looked this morning and I think I see it. I didn't have time to really pry around. It's metal right? Must be a softer metal because it looks like it kind of compresses as the header clamps down, to make a tight seal. Is it stuck in there with any kind of compound, or just loose-fit?

Thanks for the help guys, even the dumb stuff I feel like I'm just learning once, and then I got it. Slowly stacking up knowledge of this machine, and steadily bonding with it more and more :mg:

Yeah, I looked this morning and I think I see it. I didn't have time to really pry around. It's metal right? Must be a softer metal because it looks like it kind of compresses as the header clamps down, to make a tight seal. Is it stuck in there with any kind of compound, or just loose-fit?

Thanks for the help guys, even the dumb stuff I feel like I'm just learning once, and then I got it. Slowly stacking up knowledge of this machine, and steadily bonding with it more and more :mg:

They are a "u" section made up of two pieces with some sort of fibre filler. They compress down next to nothing. And some times I'd doubt that they were in there if I hadn't put them in myself.

I've never seen a 2 piece, U-shape. The ones that came OEM on my 03 V11 (and the same I replaced them with) were a 1 piece donut style of aluminum. As others stated, they are very hard to see after they've been compressed and have some carbon-builld-up. just get a small flat head scew driver and poke around.....you'll find them. Although you can occasionally get away with out replacing them and be fine....for something so cheap, just do it so you don't have to worry about taking the darn exhaust off again to fix it. :)

scroll down to the bottom of this MG Cycle's site for examples.

http://www.mgcycle.com/exhaust.html

I've never seen a 2 piece, U-shape. The ones that came OEM on my 03 V11 (and the same I replaced them with) were a 1 piece donut style of aluminum. As others stated, they are very hard to see after they've been compressed and have some carbon-builld-up. just get a small flat head scew driver and poke around.....you'll find them. Although you can occasionally get away with out replacing them and be fine....for something so cheap, just do it so you don't have to worry about taking the darn exhaust off again to fix it. :)

scroll down to the bottom of this MG Cycle's site for examples.

http://www.mgcycle.com/exhaust.html

Yeah, I got em. Munroe in SF had the U-shaped ones.

Here's a question, the clamp that pulls the header onto the head, it doesn't actually clamp down the whole way to the head, right? I found that there is about a 1/8" gap.

Also, the clamp has a flat spot on one side, and it's smoothly rounded on the other. Is there a certain way they're supposed to go on? I couldn't see any obvious difference. Just to clarify, I don't mean which side goes against the head... that's obvious lol. I mean can it be spun on the header so either bolt-hole is on top?

And ANOTHER question... how tight should the metal "pipe-clamps" be? The ones that connect the various exhaust pieces. I think I stripped one, cause I was trying to make sure there were no leaks. I guess I got too excited about it.

I know these are all pretty basic questions, just trying to make sure I do it right.

I have my exhaust system off just now and asked (myself) same question. Didn't see any, and decided answer was "no."

Luckily, I knew better than to trust myself, and, while many here think I post all my dumb questions on this site, the reality is I am not ashamed to ask my dealer now and then, too. :doh:

One of the service guys said to use a light hook and work gently and I'd find a gasket as he'd put one in there!

So ... I did and he was right. They had no Guzzi parts (surprise), but gave me a set of Ducati ones that fit like a champ. :luigi:

Bill

OBTW, the Ducati "it ain't Guzzi, but work great and are much easier to find" part # is 037084005