The Dreded Tire Question

jsciullo

I have a set of Bridgestone 010 on my front and a 020 at the rear. Need a new front tire. Any suggestions?? Im not racing the bike but would appreciate good all around handling.

Thanks,

Jim

I've heard that a lot of people like the combination you currently have.

I've also heard some really good things about the new Michelin Pilot Street ST tire. It's supposed to be almost as sticky as the Pilot Sport, but quite a bit higher mileage.

You might check those out??

al

Guest russ

Unfortunately I need new skins at 6300 miles. I was considering trying the Dunlops (207's I believe). Anybody try em :luigi:

I just realized I screwed up. :doh:

I have Michelin Pilot Street Sport Touring tires in my V11S. Not Pilot Sports.

I picked them hoping they wouldn't wear flat in the middle as the "R" compound Battleaxes did. I think they stick great in corners. Their wet performance is great. If they last, I'll be a very happy customer.

:lol: ..yeah, I wondered about that Rich :)

But agreed, as I was mentioning, the new "Street Sports" are getting great feedback from most folks. Several people have posted on the ST Forum how well they wear in comparison to the Pilots, but seem to grip just about as well.

How would you describe their "feel" Rich?

al

Guest jeremy

I put dunlop 220's on last time, they grip ok but the rear is almost to the wear bars after only 2000 miles, I know I compression break to much (I never use the rear break cause the back is usually sliding allready) but this is the worst wearing tire I have tried yet. For a sport touring tire it maybe good but if you exceed the speedlimit, like corners, and break like you mean it then I wouldn't buy these, and I don't even have a sport I have a centauro, which is a crusier right :not:

cheers :bier:

by the way I did get decent mileage out of those conti force tire that I bought once when i was low on cash, try em, you might like em, they accually work quite well. I'd definatly buy them befor these 220 dunlops

Al

They made the bike feel new again. I'm afraid that's the best way to put it. My old tires were very worn after 10k miles and made the bike feel lousy by comparison. Amazing what you can get used to if it comes on slowly enough!

The old rear was worn almost bald in the middle from too much freeway riding. The front had cupped signifcantlt ruining cornering feel.

Now it feels light and neutral. Just right. The tires never "push" in corners. They just stick. Change your line in mid corner? No problem. Just lok through your new line and t he bike goes where you look. I'd forgotten how well the bike felt until I got these on and scrubbed them in!

After this weekend ride my BT 020 front will be ready for the ashcan. What do you guys think of running this new Michelin ST with the 160/60 BT 020 rear?

Mixing tires brands is a no no! I tried it once because I had a flat and had to settle on a different brand that was being replaced. I could not believe how terrible the bike handled. Went back to the matched set and everything was cool. Tire companys have different ways that the tire belts run along with other technologys that could cause handling problems if mismatched. Be safe, go with an 020 front tire or replace both to a different brand.

Mike

When I got these new Michelin Street sport tour tires, I did downsize to the 160/60 rear. You'd never know it was a smaller tire. It does seem to be a better width for that rim. I believe it's plenty wide for a 80 HP bike! The tendency to stand up while using the front brake in a corner is less than before also. Yeah, I know... That's a really poor technique and means I didn't set up my entrance speed well enough. But I never claimed to be perfect!

I would hesitate to mix brands as well. They are engineered to work together.