a judge here in nsw has recently dismissed a camera speeding fine on the grounds that the camera may have been inaccurate [dude booked for 98 in 80 zone] as it had not been calibrated for some months.and for it to be a true reading! it should have been done daily..there is now a flurry as the state income from speed cameras is 63 million dollars. and they're abought to challenge the judges decision. :huh2:

a judge here in nsw has recently dismissed a camera speeding fine on the grounds that the camera may have been inaccurate [dude booked for 98 in 80 zone] as it had not been calibrated for some months.and for it to be a true reading! it should have been done daily..there is now a flurry as the state income from speed cameras is 63 million dollars. and they're abought to challenge the judges decision. :huh2:

I don't know how accurate they are. The cities use them around here, and with one or two exceptions I don't mind them in neighborhoods. Every time someone comes down our street fast enough to squeel the tires gong around the corner, or grab third gear on the straight, I only hope they get tagged. On the open highway, do what you want, but in a neighborhood 25mph is fast enough.

What I don't like is when they hide it right after the speed limit drops for a town along the highway and they nail you as you are coasting down to the lower speed. That, and when the town is in the middle of nowhere but the freeway goes along the outskirts and they nail you for going a perfectly safe speed that is a few mph over the posted limit. Those are chicken-shit tickets.

We had a judge in Arizona throw them all out once because they denied people due process. However, the need for govt to make money eventually over-rode the people's rights.

They added stop light cameras to several busy intersections in the Dayton area a couple years ago. My wifes' boss found out the hard way that these cameras have been updated to track speeders too. You get the fine in the mail but they do not take points because they have no actual proof who was actually driving your vehicle. It's just a revenue generator, I tell ya!

It's a technical issue. Rather like the person who tries you has to be a judge/magistrate. If the camera was supposed to be calibrated daily and wasn't, it matter not one whit whether it was reading to within one millionth of a mile per hour or not. It's not the legal tool for the job and the case is thrown out.

These things can be overturned rarely but I suspect that this case is not one of them.

Damn g.forrest, how do you expect anyone to read your posts with that avatar?

I had to reread it about 5 times before I got all the way through!

I once got a ticket from a speeding camera, and since I could download the Garmin GPS trackdata I could check my speed according to the gps at that point. They said they measured 90kmh and corrected it to 86kmh. My GPS said I was doing exactly 86kmh (in a 80kmh zone).

From what I can remember In the UK the hand held stuff is within 2%, it and the cars are checked weekly so therefore it will always be within intolerance. EG on dates A and G so there fore it can be expected to be correct on days B-F inclusive. The traffic guys always used to put a calibrated vehicle through their speed trap before starting, I'm not sure if thats ther case with the lasers these days, I've no experiance.

the thing for me is that fixed cameras only catch out strangers in the end as their placement is now even included in a good street directory and locals allways know their positions. i'm still to be convinced that they ever save lives. but have proven to be a good revenue earner.