One way to keep mileage down

sctt2525

At 6780 miles now on my BillyBob. Was on my way home from work today and looked down to check my MPHs and noticed there weren't any. I'm sure this'll be the speedo cable as I've seen on here many go out about now.

I was wondering though, since I don't have a decent dealer, would it be possible to UPS this cable to a good dealer and let them claim the warranty work and send me the new cable? :huh2:

Scott

See newest problem below

If your Billybob has the angle drive where the cable enters the transmission, chances are that it's defunct. I had the same thing happen about 2 months ago.

All the usual suspects would have this part and will ship it to you.

Don't know about the warrantee issue.

MPH Cycle

MG Cycle

Harpers

Eish Enterprises

Moto International

Guest Mattress

I've been told by a dealer & mechanic that you can pretty much forget about warranty work. If you have a really nice dealer they may fix you up to keep you happy and a returning customer. But as Aprilia & Moto Guzzi were imploding, dealers were getting shafted on warranty work. The company wasn't paying them or hardly paying anything.

I was warned that if you didn't buy your bike from a dealer (like say you moved) they are even less likely to help. When I called to ask about my 3000 mile service, the first question was "where did you buy it?".

It didn't deter me from buying mine....cause I reckon they are pretty reliable once sorted out.

I've been told by a dealer & mechanic that you can pretty much forget about warranty work. If you have a really nice dealer they may fix you up to keep you happy and a returning customer. But as Aprilia & Moto Guzzi were imploding, dealers were getting shafted on warranty work. The company wasn't paying them or hardly paying anything.

I was warned that if you didn't buy your bike from a dealer (like say you moved) they are even less likely to help. When I called to ask about my 3000 mile service, the first question was "where did you buy it?".

It didn't deter me from buying mine....cause I reckon they are pretty reliable once sorted out.

Mattress,

The waranty situation is nowhere near as dire as you describe.

It has improved greatly in the last 2 years.

Do I wish it paid more?-- yep.

Am I satisfied with the way it currently operates?-- yep.

We do a pi$$pot of warranty work on bikes sold elsewhere.

Sorry, I can't do nationwide mail-order warranty.

I'm sorry your local dealer sees it differently.

The dealer that I bought my Rosso from said that the bike had to come in for cable replacement - I couldn't just mail in the broken one. I went to an auto parts store, bought an inner cable for $3.00, straightened out the transmission end bend and it's been fine ever since. :)

That saved me the better part of a day riding to the city (160 mile round trip), not to mention tolls and gas. :bbblll:

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so I got the new cable mailed to me. Lubed it a bit and put it on. Worked great for about 180 miles. Now a whole new problem.

The speedo works, and seems to register accurately. But the odometer has now puked- registerd about 9/10ths of a mile over about a 20 mile ride. Any thoughts :huh2:

Scott

OK, so I got the new cable mailed to me. Lubed it a bit and put it on. Worked great for about 180 miles. Now a whole new problem.

The speedo works, and seems to register accurately. But the odometer has now puked- registerd about 9/10ths of a mile over about a 20 mile ride. Any thoughts :huh2:

Scott

ITI instrument, right? If so, sometimes they are fixable. Also, it should be replaced under warranty, but they're on backorder. I am awaiting one for my Billy Bob (same problem). I fixed mine once, but can't this time 'casue I had to glue on the reset knob and now can't get it off to get the instrument out, so I'll just wait until the new one arrives.

Take it off the bike and lay it face down. Look on the back of the rim for four or more pins. Push on each with a small punch, and the rim and glass will pop off. Then take the screws off the back, and the pointer and face off the front, and you have free access to the innards. Look at it to see what's wrong. Stripped teeth are not faxable, but most other ills are.

Good luck!