V50 III for sale

zoltan c

There is a '79 MG V50III for sale here locally for $2700 are these good? I kind of like the looks, trying to convince my wife to get it. Anything to lookout for? Is this a good price. Here are some pics. UfpfTMa7l0xvuVhKWP5eBU0DCv1A.jpg ujTXMu3g6mupqkebbPUzPJ1kfIJn.jpg px8KEb14kX9qhsB6O2io3LyVviKC.jpg

They are nice little bikes. The III is the way to go. If it is for your wife, change out the points for a Dyna pointless ignition. Also get some carb sticks and sync the carbs. You should plan on syncing the carbs every time you change the oil. Keep em synced and the thing runs great.

2700 is high for a V-50, unless it is low miles and in very good shape.

Guest Nogbad

What he said.

And make sure it gets new valves before 40,000 miles, the heads can break. Seems expensive. These things are cheap in the UK.

What the others said, and if it's 1979 it's not a V50 III but a I or a II: I think there are differences in the ignition systems.

I had a V50II many years ago, for the first three years of its life and found it to be a super little bike - fast enough and economical; it took two of us to Spain....and back!

The II motor is entirely different--different castings, different oil pathways, etc etc. It has a pointless ignition that is loads of trouble. II's have very low resale value because of the problems and lack of interchangeability. Go for the III.

My buddy had me look at the bike 3 wks ago, as he was thinking of getting it for his wife. Seemed ok, but I told him to shy away from it after taking the advice of one Pete Roper.

As for the price, I can't remember ever hearing that bike prices were more expensive here than say, England. Remember that 2700$cdn is about 1200pnd. Do these things go for less than 1300pnd in the old country?

Ciao, Steve G.

The motor is definitely a II - the alternator cover extends upwards to cover points on the end of the cam in the III. The II's electronic ignition is just that - electronic. It works perfectly until it dies and then you have to go hunting for amplifiers - situated just in front of the rear shocks on both sides.

In the UK, that bike would be worth considerably less than £1000. Fun machine, usual Guzzi foibles and plusses.

mike

What everybody else said. Don't touch that bike.

If you must, hold out for the III.

It is -- in my opinion -- an absolutely BRILLIANT city bike. In fact, it was my only mode of transport for two full years in Atlanta back in the nineties.

Parts are rare these days, though. I wouldn't want it as a daily rider in 2006, but still enjoy flogging the little beast around town and terrorizing SNAGS with the EVIL LOUD* exhaust note produced by the Bubs...

v50

*NICE loud, not Harley straight pipe loud. Those f**kers are ruining it for everybody!

980503Biaggi_Ppiano.jpg

Thanks for all the replies, I think I'll stay away from that one. Maybe I'll get my honda cb400 back together over the winter and let my wife learn to ride on it next spring. Then I can get her a Guzzi, maybe another V11.