Trying to match "Champagne"

Dr Gil

So I'm trying to match the "champagne" color on my '02 Le Mans for a bit of touch up. From previous posts I get the "best match" as Dupli-Color's SF CC 383, CC Code KV4 (Chrysler Corp, 1990-1993, Light Champagne Metallic).

My problem is that this color code doesn't seem to be real and can't be ordered from any online or local Dupli-color merchants. Does anyone have anything more relevant?

Due to my heavy handed repair work I really, really need to touch up my paint job...I confess that I'm a bit embarrassed. :rolleyes:

So I'm trying to match the "champagne" color on my '02 Le Mans for a bit of touch up. From previous posts I get the "best match" as Dupli-Color's SF CC 383, CC Code KV4 (Chrysler Corp, 1990-1993, Light Champagne Metallic).

My problem is that this color code doesn't seem to be real and can't be ordered from any online or local Dupli-color merchants. Does anyone have anything more relevant?

Due to my heavy handed repair work I really, really need to touch up my paint job...I confess that I'm a bit embarrassed. :rolleyes:

A while ago a Opel Vectra parked next to my V11, from a distance it was exactly the same color! Googled and the colorcode could be 123 - Champagnebeige (no joke, see the Belgium Opel forum )

Opel (or Vauxhall in the UK) is part of GM.

Let us know the result, I have some things I want to repair also...

Thanks guys! I tried to run down Opel paints online without much luck. None of the touch up paint sites let me look at colors to see if anything was close.

The AutoZone paints are a good tip. I did run across their website while looking for that Chrysler light champagne metallic. There is no AutoZone near me here in the back woods of Northern California so I thought I'd do some phone calling tomorrow (today is a holiday, Labor Day, in the US and not much business is being done).

I do have a Kragen Auto Parts and several paint shops nearby however and may just go looking to get a "close" match on champagne. The spots I want to touch up are very small scuff's and probably would never be noticable with a "close" match.

Someday I'll have the bike painted with a more readily available color and my problems will be over. :rolleyes:

After about 5 or 6 bottles of Duplicolor testing back in 2002 when the forum was new, I also came to the same conclusion Gil :grin:

I thought I had put these in a FAQ, but may not have. But since the old forum archives are gone(I think), here is the list. I ranked them at the time from what I perceived as closest match starting at #1

1 - SF CC 383 Chrysler Light Champagne Metallic

2 - 77-01596 Toyota Cashmere Beige Metallic

3 - TX 291 Ford Harvest Gold Metallic

4 - SF CC 401 Chrysler Champagne Pearl

The real trick was being sure to use a clearcoat and wet sand and polish as well.

But none of these are an exact match, and really are only good for small knicks, and even then they often show up under close inspection.

But, what I also found was that depending on WHERE you were touching up the bike, and ergo... how the light and shadows played on those surfaces, one of 2 or 3 of the close Duplicolor matches would work better.

You just have to test.

Be careful on the sanding though. The factory finish is very thin, and you'll end up into the primer very fast... which is a much bigger mess to fix.

Of course, if you need really big fixes, any good auto painter can color match and paint the pieces. Or you can get all new color(s) if you like :P

Good luck!

Al

Rite-Aid or CVS; talk the sales-droid @ the register & let them know that you're going to raid the fingernail polish racks for a match to your bike's paint; offer to leave your helmet w/ them so they'll be comfortable w/ you running out the door w/ 3 or 4 bottles of polish to hold up against the bike.

Usually cheaper than the auto-parts paint vials, easier to match due to clear bottles vs. some printed label , and a huge plethora of subtle variations from which to choose.

Of course, if you've got a Sephora nearby, that would be t!ts, since their selection is about the biggest you'll find.

Best o' luck!

:bike:

Rite-Aid or CVS; talk the sales-droid @ the register & let them know that you're going to raid the fingernail polish racks for a match to your bike's paint; offer to leave your helmet w/ them so they'll be comfortable w/ you running out the door w/ 3 or 4 bottles of polish to hold up against the bike.

Usually cheaper than the auto-parts paint vials, easier to match due to clear bottles vs. some printed label , and a huge plethora of subtle variations from which to choose.

Of course, if you've got a Sephora nearby, that would be t!ts, since their selection is about the biggest you'll find.

Best o' luck!

:bike:

LOL, why didn't I think of this! :huh2:

You are of course completely correct...I've never seen anything like the rainbow of shades and subtle variations that fingernail polishes offer...it's quite dazzling! :o

They should be just the deal for small chips.

Meanwhile, I find it a wee bit disturbing that you seem so knowledgeable about these "finger nail polishes" down to where the best selection might be found. Be aware, your manliness is being checked into...by someone other than me of course. ;)

Meanwhile, I find it a wee bit disturbing that you seem so knowledgeable about these "finger nail polishes" down to where the best selection might be found. Be aware, your manliness is being checked into...by someone other than me of course. ;)

Raised by wolves, you know how it is; gotta learn where the best game trails are & how to hunt...

:thumbsup:

LOL, why didn't I think of this! :huh2:

You are of course completely correct...I've never seen anything like the rainbow of shades and subtle variations that fingernail polishes offer...it's quite dazzling! :o

They should be just the deal for small chips.

Lemme know what you find from this angle.

I did this before going the Duplicolor route, and have a drawer full of red and "champagne" colored nail-polish, none of which was just right :glare:

....that stuff gets expensive when you buy "in bulk" :P

Al