Bollocks

big J

One of those days today.Off to work,the alternator light's been blinking on and off for a while now,but today,it wouldn't go out for ages,only at 5k and above.I changed some of the terminals at the weekend,but it's made no difference.

Anyhow,got to work,into the canteen to get the waterproofs off,back out to the lorry,and here's a pool of oil about a foot across under the bike.Fark!It's coming from the breather hose on top of the block and the wee rubber bung for the flywheel.Bollocks.

Worked away as usual,one of the rams on the crane starts pissing oil all over the place,so I'm lubed up like a babe in the local fleshpit.(tho,admittedly,not quite so attractive to the local menfolk thankfully :D )

Back to the yard,pull the bike to bits.The breather hose is cracked all over the place.Bodge a fix to get me home,about 40 miles.Loads of fun.Do I rev the bike to keep it charging,but it's still leaking at high revs all over the back end,or trickle along and hope the battery will get me back?

Anyhow,I made it.The breather system was blocked up with mayo.I recently changed the oil and couldn't get the usual Castrol R4 so used Mobil 1 instead.Never had this trouble before,so it'll be Castrol in future.

I got my meter back tonight,so I checked the charging system.It looks like the alternator's toast.tho it's hard to tell.

I'm starting to get fed up with this.I use the bike for going to work and recently,it's been getting huffy. In 18 months and roughly 30,000 miles it's gone through..............

2 starter motors

speedo gearbox

every bearing,rear wheel twice

steering damper

rear damper

bevel box seals

voltage regulator

fork bushes and seals

battery

various comedy routines involving flashing lights and not starting.

The bloody thing had only done 1600 miles when I got it.That's not including all the usual servicing and fettling.I wouldn't mind if I treated it badly,but I have a fiddle and tweak most weekends.

Bitch. <_>

Ach well,it's all character forming.

Whinge over :P

All you need is a second bike.

Why not get a complementary machine to the V11 that is different, but a reliable commuter. What about a supermotoish thing?

It's a great idea.If I had the dosh,I probably would.

I suppose I was a bit pissed off,cos the bike's only 4 years old.I expected at least to go for a month without it needing something,but every few weeks I either have to shell out money or time.

Hmmm,had a bit of a think.There isn't another bike I'd rather have than the V11.

Maybe a Tonti?Maybe not? :huh2:

Anyhow,I'll fix the old girl up and we'll be away again.Just have to st r e t c h the overdraft a bit further. :D

Hang in there Big J.

I threw the same strop in Germany when my starter solenoid packed up and then the heavens opened and a thunderstorm erupted right over my head.

I swore I would never ride a f***ing Guzzi abroad ever again and I was going to buy a reliable bike.

A few pints later, and a after good nights sleep we were in love again.

Hmmm,had a bit of a think.There isn't another bike I'd rather have than the V11.

Anyhow,I'll fix the old girl up and we'll be away again.Just have to st r e t c h the overdraft a bit further. :D

Thats how I end up feeling about it. But it's a right buggeration.

Guest PAULSMART

Buy a BMW k100..............

Zero maintenance other than oil changes.

and a good one will only cost £1200.

THE PERFECT COMMUTER /SECOND BIKE.

Paul

s'pose you could always chuck it in and buy a renault clio....

somehow I don't see that.

Seriously 'though, not being much of a techie, I'm not looking forward to that level of grief.

I'll have to start learning something sometime.

Guzzirider,what splendid advice.I've just cracked a Smithwicks and things are looking better already :bier:

Martin,a right buggeration just about sums it up all right.

Jason,what's a PVC valve?

Paul,dont take this the wrong way,but I'd rather be shafted with the rough end of a pineapple.

Ferg!!We never got that wee run yet,must get my finger out and set something up.A Clio,ha ha.Two hours this morning to go from the airport turn off to the mad cow roundabout!Cars suck. :D

(Approx 5 miles )

Guzzirider,what splendid advice.I've just cracked a Smithwicks and things are looking better already :bier:

Jason,what's a PVC valve?

Only if you tell me where I can get a Smithwicks :drink:

Uh, I meant PCV= positive crankcase ventilation. I have plastics on the brain, I guess (polyvinyl chloride is PVC :homer: )

Correctly installed, they do a great job on the old Eldorados (850GT to you Europeans) keeping that muck out of the oil.

Martin,a right buggeration just about sums it up all right.

I feel your pain, Biggy!

Found out over the weekend part of the reason why my Guz fell a few months ago. Seems the floor in the shop has a few "soft" places - he says limping slightly. Wobbly floor and a full tank of gas (I don't remember filling it...) pitched her over.

I also installed the head guards I just made (looks good to me), as I discovered when it fell, that the spark plug breaks.... This has me inspired to get working on it again.

Start taking apart front end. Notice puddle formed below steering damper. Pull it off - yup - gravelly. So I'll be needing one of those. Look up on Forum - HOLY CRAP they're HOW much???? Go back to taking apart front end. Notice oil all over the top triple. Inspect - Fork oil is leaking out the TOP of the cap - right around the adjuster screw. How the hell is that possible??? Wonder what's waiting for me in the steering head...

Shite, I'm not even using the thing and it's going to hell in a handcart. Hope my newfound enthusiasm lasts long enough to get something accomplished before I get discouraged again.

cheers,

Rj

We should form a support group for guys with pained expressions,a nervous tic and a permanently drained wallet.

And a V11 in bits(again) :D

My steering damper went the same way,feeling tight on bends then when I took it off,all gravelly inside.I fixed it,tho.It landed about 4 gardens down.

The forks are dead simple inside,I'd imagine a wee 'o' ring of some description will sort it.

Show us a picture of your guards!

I'm following Guzziriders advice and am currently contributing to the Smithwicks brewery bank account.

Presently,I'll have a wobbly floor too. :bier: