Oehlins Suspension - Factory Specs

Guest Mattress

Guest Mattress

Hi, I have an '04 Cafe Sport with Oehlins suspension. The dealer had pulled the fork sliders about 10-15mm above the top triple clamp (about 5 ring lines). I want to set the bike up as MG intended for rake and trail and then work from there.

Does anyone know the MG recommended height for the fork sliders above the top of the triple clamp for this bike?

In the manual there is information for the V11 Lemans Scura with Oehlins suspension (2mm or 1 ring). I'm thinking this spec should translate to the cafe sport as I think the only difference is the fairing.

Any thoughts? Anyone more experienced than me know what impact the dealer's setting had on handling?

I think you will find that the lower the front end is, the better, but make sure the fender has atleast a cm freeplay when forks are fully compressed.

Lowering the front end will make the bike more nimble and more stable at the same time.

Some fear it will become less stable, but I have not found that to be the case at all.

EDIT

I measured mine to be about 32-33mm above the top of the triple clamp(measured at the edge of the gold tubing to top of the clamp)

I could probably go even lower, but I don't fully trust my measurements.

My Scura (w/clip ons) came with lower edge of bevel at top of legs level with handlebar clamp top surface which is about same as Greg says. I raised forks in triple clamps 11mm so that third ring on leg is level with bar clamp top surface (that is 23mm above top surface of triple clamp). As Dave says, much improved steering. It will much easier hold a line in a corner w/o drifting wide. There is no downside that I have found. But as said above, check all clearances.

KB :sun: