universal LED tail/brakelight

wheelsucker

I have the FBF eliminator kit on my bike & I love the way it looks. They shipped it to me in like 3 business days & it went on pretty easy too. You do have to either use the old turn signals :bbblll: or buy shiny new led turn signals at extra cost :glare: In any case it really improves the look of the bike for under $100

Is it a fender eliminator you want, or an LED tail/brake light.

If the former, the Ferracci one is pretty good, though the tail light is not very bright.

If the latter, there's a few options. Cheapest is a universal one my shop gets through Parts Unlimited that is small and light and under $50. The second is a replacement that includes a whole board of LED and is an exact lookalike replacement for the V11 SPort taillight, with either a clear or a smoked lens. These are even available with integrated circuitry that blinks the left or right half to act as (inadequate, in my opinion) turn signals.

Here's a pic of the clear version on my Billy Bob:

PICT0002-5.jpg

It's plenty bright and frees up a few watts.

I have the FBF setup, and my only complaint is with the taillight- it's almost worthless. It helps to do a little "aiming" to try and get the LED's at the right angle, but there just aren't enough LED's in there IMO. Part of that is that the turn signals (stock) really overpower the smaller taillight. I'll probably fix this this winter. :huh2:

If you dare to look in the Harley catalogs, there are a lot of LED tail light and light/license plate assemblies. If I knew, I wouldn't have sold the Cat Eye one that came on my bike. Try Custome Chrome or Biker's Choice. Joe

BC0106C0610.jpg

050036_01.jpg

Guest Gary Cheek

Greg,

Is the replacement LED taillight the same one that's on TLM's website? How much for the replacement?

Doug

Select and use LED conversions very carefully. The diodes used by the manufacturers are various and wildy different in effectiveness. The MCD light value ratings ratings can be deceptive. The MCD is the total output and only a part of the story. The effective angle and LED count are the other parts. The disdersion angle is what makes the light more effective in the very critical off axis mode. A light that may look adequate to the driver of an MG Midget might be nearly invisible to the all important 18 wheeler sitting 10 feet above the road. While the filament bulb is equally brilliant to both as well as folks in adjacent lanes.

Another factor is the spectrum of light emitted. The LEDs may well look great at night when lights are pretty easily seen. Daylight with brilliant sunlight striking the lens directly is a tough test. The LEDs often only light a narrow segment of the spectrum and may not really present sufficient contrast to make them effective in daylight. Add the off-axis problems and you could find yourself the recipient of an unwanted nudge or worse.

Not to say the LEDs are worthless just some notes of caution.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently acquired a 2000 V11, and it has a FBF eliminator kit with LED tail light and turn signals. Everything seems to work properly, except that when I activate the turn signals, there's about a two-second delay before they start flashing. They then flash at a normal rate. I notice that if I switch the signals from side to side without cancelling, there is no delay. If I cancel the signal and then immediately activate it again, it seems to start up a bit quicker, but not immediately - call it one second instead of two.

I'm used to bike/car signals that come on immediately - expecting me to know which way I'm going two seconds in advance is quite optimistic!

a) Is this normal for the V11 with standard turn signals? (Am I dealing with a Guzzi issue or a LED issue?)

B) If it's the LEDs, anyone familiar with this? Everything I've seen shows if I have a ballast issue, I should be seeing flash blinking, not a delayed but normal rate.

Tx!

KeS

The relais should interrupt the current after a certain time, not the other way round. That's what I know at least. So the light should come on as soon as you hit the switch. Everything after that could vary depending on the load resp. current resp. Watts of your used "light element".

On the other hand, when I have a bad ground on one bulb then I can't see any difference with the frequency.

Now that's probably not much help for you, sorry, but I'll go and check it out. It's noon now anyway and time for some recreational hands on :)

Hubert

I recently acquired a 2000 V11, and it has a FBF eliminator kit with LED tail light and turn signals. Everything seems to work properly, except that when I activate the turn signals, there's about a two-second delay before they start flashing. They then flash at a normal rate. I notice that if I switch the signals from side to side without cancelling, there is no delay. If I cancel the signal and then immediately activate it again, it seems to start up a bit quicker, but not immediately - call it one second instead of two.

I'm used to bike/car signals that come on immediately - expecting me to know which way I'm going two seconds in advance is quite optimistic!

a) Is this normal for the V11 with standard turn signals? (Am I dealing with a Guzzi issue or a LED issue?)

B) If it's the LEDs, anyone familiar with this? Everything I've seen shows if I have a ballast issue, I should be seeing flash blinking, not a delayed but normal rate.

Tx!

KeS

The delay is a function of the relay type that is used by Guzzi. It is a very simple affair to replace the relay with a car type one which functions instantaneously, all you need to know is which wire does what and have a couple of connectors on hand. I've replaced all of mine with Saab relays with the added bonus that they flash quicker if one of the bulbs has gone.

Richard