Not Guzzi Related

how true is this story? I couldn't believe some eco-friendly group could distort any facts now could we? I'm weary of ppl making big claims with no real evidence to back up their claims, I don't know about chemicals but setting fire to the forest floor after the trees are gone actually promotes MORE and Stronger replenishing life than just leaving it be. Give new trees a better chance of growing. I'm aware cutting down old trees is wrong but on the other hand they're trees and at least in the US we have more trees now than in the 1930 and I'm sure catching up to b4 we got here logging companies or other companies often try to plant two trees to every one felled. I'm not trying to support cutting down old growth forest here but it almost scares me how rabid some ppl will get without any evidence or knowledge of the situation. :huh2: Anyone see what Mt St. Helens looked like b4 the blast? and now? I have this idea that to a point there is nothing mankind can do to destroy this planet. Mother natures is one strong bich, Ice ages, Meteors, super diseases, I'd say if we all died tomorrow, (outside lets say the pyramids because they're solid rock) One second on the geological clock will look like we never here at all, on a 12 hour scale of the life of Earth, we've been here 40 seconds homeosapiends specifically about 5-10 seconds. :notworthy:

their charitable efforts seem to be decent enough.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm/.../orgid/4382.htm

the poison appears to be for a good reason after the trees are cut down "Gunns uses 1080 poison to kill wallabies and possums that browse on the seedlings established in place of the cleared forests. The poisoned carrots also kill other wildlife (‘non-target’ species) such as bettongs, quolls and owls." Last I heard wallabies and possums are far from endangered :huh2:

I like playing devils advocate, ppl get so mad at me, and sometimes I totally agree with'em I guess I'm just a bastard :grin:

I'm w/ dBen. Most people let emotions drive their thinking instead of the facts. A great book to read right now is "The State of Fear" by Michael Crichton ...excerpt from an amazon review ; "In State of Fear he reverses field and uses the incorrectly perceived threats of environmental disaster as the underlying impetus for a novel. In Crichton's view, the whole global warming argument is false. His view is that environmentalism has degenerated into a quasi religious system devoid of scientific veracity. Thus, the proponents of the global warming hysteria are pushing faith over fact, many of them have lost their moorings ..."

Check it out; http://www.amazon.com/State-Fear-Michael-C...TF8&s=books

Inevitably, in our pursuit to do good we sometimes don't get what we seek. The relevant facts are what distinguish what we accomplish. The irrelevant facts are just that..irrelevant facts.

Guest ratchethack

I'd log my own backyard if their were enough tres. Then replant!!

:thumbsup:

Heli-Jim - how long's it been since the Canadian logging industry last used clear-cutting without replanting as a standard practice?

How about the US?

Enquiring minds just gotta know. . . . ;):whistle:

I don't know what you're talking about ;);)

It's you and me vs. the world Ben - let's have some fun ya Bastard!!

Rj

After we cut down all the trees lets get rid of those annoying spotted owls too :bier:

I could use some cheetah underwear while we're at it. :grin:

Some white rhino sneakers would be pretty sweet too :lol:

:whistle:

"Prescribed or controlled burning is a technique sometimes used in forest management, farming, or prairie restoration. Fire is a natural part of both forest and grassland ecology and controlled fire can be a tool for foresters. Controlled burning stimulates the germination of some desirable forest trees, thus renewing the forest. Some seeds, such as sequoia, remain dormant until fire breaks down the seed coating"

it would be a bigger sin if they didn't burn the forest floor, And then it would be bad if they didn't find a way to stop the pests from eating the seedlings, Look on the bright side we can roast the wallabies over the napalm(although I'm sure they just use gas)

Heli-Jim - how long's it been since the Canadian logging industry last used clear-cutting without replanting as a standard practice?

It has been mandatory since the late 60's for much of the forests in Canada and most TFL's (Tree Farm Licences or logging tenures) have required it since 1949 but it wasn't strictly enforced until the 1970's.

I don't know about the US.

I like playing devils advocate, ppl get so mad at me, and sometimes I totally agree with'em I guess I'm just a bastard :grin:

Yes, yes. Wait til I come by to repossess your last voodoo neck manipulation you didn't pay for. We ( The Evil Ones All Misunderstood) will then slash and burn your lawn. Or the tennis court at your apartment complex. After all , we're just in it for the buck.

gunns are the power that control the government in tasmania. yes they replant with mostly monterey pine quick growing and not the slow growing native hardwoods and the understory species are gone for good. as for the poisoning wallabys and possums don't eat eucalypt seedlings, they do eat pine seedlings. the sorry thing is gunns have huge contracts to meet to supply woodchip for paper and so target white timber species and most often all other is burnt after falling and not offered to small sawmillers. pine framing timber and woodchip are gunns main interest. TASMANIA has a population of just 500 thousand with 750 thousand visitors per annum so is very reliant on tourism. in my view the clearing of its native forest will eventualy reduce the visitor numbers as you can see pine forests anywhere in the world. ciao gazza.

gunns are the power that control the government in tasmania. yes they replant with mostly monterey pine quick growing and not the slow growing native hardwoods and the understory species are gone for good. as for the poisoning wallabys and possums don't eat eucalypt seedlings, they do eat pine seedlings. the sorry thing is gunns have huge contracts to meet to supply woodchip for paper and so target white timber species and most often all other is burnt after falling and not offered to small sawmillers. pine framing timber and woodchip are gunns main interest. TASMANIA has a population of just 500 thousand with 750 thousand visitors per annum so is very reliant on tourism. in my view the clearing of its native forest will eventualy reduce the visitor numbers as you can see pine forests anywhere in the world. ciao gazza.

I'll accept this answer, the first knowledgeable explanation I've heard on the matter. Wouldn't think it would be that hard to hear a level headed explanation of whats going on in Taz. :huh2:

Gunn inc are dinks. They should just plant those fast trees in empty fields and harvest'em I suppose they don't want to wait 5 years to get started tho. :moon: