Dilemma

Guzzirider

Guy,

I have used a Guzzi V50, a Kawa Z650 and my Thunderbird to commute at various times. There are three problems:

it's hard watching a good bike become a wreck, bit by bit;

it's dangerous and often unpleasant to deal with commuters in cars and maniacs in white vans when you're not at your best or most alert;

the weather is also against you, especially where you live and on the route you plan doing.

The worst two of my get-offs happened in fast city commuting traffic, and I contributed to neither in the opinion of the police: that knowledge and the insurance payments didn't make it hurt any less.

Well, you asked. At least don't ruin your baby, and stay shiny side up.

Edit: I forgot the Suzuki 550, which was the best machine for it I ever used. If I did it now, I would use an Armstrong, though.

Use it and abuse it. If it lets you down sell it. It may be a Guzzi, but at the same time its just a second hand motorbike.

The only downside to the Guzz in the winter is it can be a bit of a handful when it's greasy in town, as the crap fuelling and heavy gearbox can have you off when you do things like take a tight mini-roundabout at about 15 mph. I use my rear brake to control the speed so I don't have to risk the torque reversals, backfires and jerks that the bike will reward you with for riding it in heavy traffic.

Use it and abuse it. If it lets you down sell it. It may be a Guzzi, but at the same time its just a second hand motorbike.

The only downside to the Guzz in the winter is it can be a bit of a handful when it's greasy in town, as the crap fuelling and heavy gearbox can have you off when you do things like take a tight mini-roundabout at about 15 mph. I use my rear brake to control the speed so I don't have to risk the torque reversals, backfires and jerks that the bike will reward you with for riding it in heavy traffic.

Noggy baby,you really,really need to set that thing up.It shouldn't do any of that stuff. :luigi:

Just buy a little DNA 125cc and thrash the nuts off it - they don't cost much and they get silly miles to the gallon (i was getting 120 miles per gallon on my 125). They handle ok too.... If I was doing a commute I would buy one - I wouldn't want to put the Guzzi through the pain of just about warming up before having to shut down.

If it lets you down sell it? Just a second hand motorbike? We are talking about my V11 here- a Guzzi is for life not for Christmas!! I use it throughout the winter at weekends anyway so am used to riding it in crap weather. The finish holds up ok because I always hose off the salt before I push it in the garage and reapply Scottoiler F365 spray which keeps the worst of the salt at bay- if it gets a bit tatty anyway then so be it.

Riding it on cold wet roads is not a problem because of the friendly low power and I have no issues with the fuelling- the only concern I have is the likely need for regular late night fixing and maintenance if I am to use it daily. Maybe I am being a bit too paranoid and it will run like clockwork with routine servicing- in any case I have decided to give it a go and see what happens.

There are about 10 days each winter when you can only get to the main road if you have 4 wheel drive so it will get the occasional rest!

Guy :helmet:

I dunno. I ride mine every day, but it means I spend a lot of time looking things over as well. This thing acts like the helicoptors I work on-the more you run it, the better she behaves. It's when it sits for a month or two that I see gremlins. On the flip side, I can certainly see why you'd not want to run it into the ground. Hell, just ride the damn thing. Parts are out there. :bike:

I also use mine every day. On the occasions where I've left her a week that's the time she's blown a fuse.

Yes I've had niggles show up and on 2 occasons I've then had to go for the car instead. But she's still the best thing about going to work other than the cheque at the end of the month.

I haven't washed her down after every ride and she is a little bit tatty but I love her :wub:

Even in the rain and my leaky waterproofs I'd still take her over the car.

sorry distracted by Danny Pedrosa on the grass

she can cope with the commute - yes you will have the odd bit of maintance but you get those on tour also.

It was a pleasant change to do over 1,000m last weekend and have no niggles , thats twice now on the bounce plus comuting in between. It's becoming a habit.

Hayden just gone quickest but caparossi has just aced him

Go for it Guy, just give her some TLC