Quiz Sept. 15*

I can see them now..... Work is frigging around with the permissions, so it was probably their fault.

So... not a Wilkinson or Vauxhall. Far too young.

Doesn't look like an Indian four either.

Unless it was this prototype.

http://www.cycletownusa.com/proto4rt.jpg

8-)))

"Here is a four cylinder prototype ( left and right ) that was developed during the 1940s using Indian's modular Torque engine. A variation of the engine did see production in the form of the single cylinder Arrow, and the vertical twin Scout and Warrior."

I would guess 1000cc, date and model as above (when exactly does a prototype come into existance?) and that should cover it. A very un-American looking machine.

I can see them now..... Work is frigging around with the permissions, so it was probably their fault.

So... not a Wilkinson or Vauxhall. Far too young.

Doesn't look like an Indian four either.

Unless it was this prototype.

http://www.cycletownusa.com/proto4rt.jpg

8-)))

"Here is a four cylinder prototype ( left and right ) that was developed during the 1940s using Indian's modular Torque engine. A variation of the engine did see production in the form of the single cylinder Arrow, and the vertical twin Scout and Warrior."

I would guess 1000cc, date and model as above (when exactly does a prototype come into existance?) and that should cover it. A very un-American looking machine.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Photo looks identical to me. The Brit influence probably came from Royal Oilfield as a lot of these bikes were rebadged as Indians.

It's from before that time. The Floyd Clymer Indians, with Enfield Constellation and Velocette Thruxton engines in Italian frames, were 1970s machines. (Much kerfuffle about his use of the Indian name, BTW) This is all Indian's work. I dismissed Indian as a possibility at first because the exhaust usually exits on the other side. Apparently, this is a prototype "modular" design engine that was supposed to reduce build costs by being available in single, twin, triple and four guises but that's the limit of the information I can find online.

A tip of the hat to Mike Wilson. :drink:

The bike is indeed the 1953, Indian Torque 4. It is an 880cc inline four stroker that was developed just after the war. Indian was in dire economic straits, yet they invested heavily in what was supposed to be a modular and modern engine design coupled with a light frame (unusual in those days) and shaft drive. This move probably helped to sink the company.

Shakes fist- next time I'll get you, my pretties.