Filter Cover tool

Ryland3210

I found a useful tool for removing the oil filter access cover with a 1-1/16 socket at Home Depot in the plumbing section at $2.59 U.S.

It the Watts 5/8" Short Forged Flare Nut.

I used a piece of masking tape inside the socket to prevent the nut from falling all the way in. The tape is put in like a saddle to set the amount the nut protrudes to just what it needed to engage the filter access cover. Because of the limited engagement in the cover (any any other job where this is an issue), I used a 2 foot length of plastic plumbing pipe as a ratchet arm extension to reduce the tendency to twist out of the cover.

I also found a Purolater replacement filter on their website, specifically for replacing the UFI 2328700: ML 16819. The UFI version specifies 10-12 N-m torque for installing the filter. I'm used to the U.S. filter suppliers specifying how many turns past gasket contact. My view is that the latter is a more accurate way of setting the amount of compression on the gasket. Any comments?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A purolator filter is risky. My V11 engine, on cold oil, puts out 75 psi. My car, on cold oil, puts out 50 psi. The purolator is a car filter and may not failsafe stand up to the pressure.

Tightent the filter per usual, and then safety it in place with a hose clamp. See the pic below:

PICT0004-4.jpg

Yes, I will be mocked here, as on Wildguzzi, for suggesting this simple and foolproof safety, but I have seen two V11s this summer on which the filters backed off, and it weren't pretty.

Guest ratchethack

I have seen two V11s this summer on which the filters backed off, and it weren't pretty.

Greg, thanks for posting this clear illustration of extremely cost-effective Guzzi life insurance. An ounce of prevention that would seem to be more'n worth a ton or two of cure. . . . :thumbsup:

Backing up your point with your shop experience really drives home the point. :thumbsup:

A purolator filter is risky. My V11 engine, on cold oil, puts out 75 psi. My car, on cold oil, puts out 50 psi. The purolator is a car filter and may not failsafe stand up to the pressure.

Tightent the filter per usual, and then safety it in place with a hose clamp. See the pic below:

Is there a filter that you prefer to use?

Do you remove the sump pan for oil changes? I have also used a hose clamp for safety but closer to the end of the filter and then lock wired the filter but that is for oil changes without removing the sump pan. I am thinking your method is much more efficient.

Thanks.

Jim

Guest Gary Cheek

Thanks for the tool tip. I use a tool that is easy to make up if you have access to a machine shop.:

Yes it would seem far better to go by the turns from contact rather than torque. The temperature, age of the rubber and amount of oil along with other factors would make the turns method more reliable.

Earlier this year I had a shop put a new radiator in my truck . My truck has a full flow oil cooler that passes the engine oil through the radiator. To make a long story short, they did not secure the hose properly. The hose popped out at speed, engine puked. They should have put a filter clamp on that hose! :luigi:

Or maybe if they had only put it together PROPERLY?

The first 200,000 miles on that Chevy were just fine, until mechanic error set in....

post-980-1158623435_thumb.jpg

PICT0004-4.jpg

Yes, I will be mocked here, as on Wildguzzi, for suggesting this simple and foolproof safety, but I have seen two V11s this summer on which the filters backed off, and it weren't pretty.

I'm surprised at your comment on Purolater. They have a good long term reputation for reliability and knowing what they are doing. The part number given by Purolator was specified by them specifically for Moto Guzzi. I have used their filters for decades with no problem. On some of my high performance muscle cars, I used to put spacers behind the oil pump relief piston spring to jack up the pressure to 90 psi, with no problem with any of the approximately 20 filters I put in over the years. In the 60's and 70's, I ran straight 40 weight year round and the engine thermostat at 160 degrees, so the pressure was always right up there. No, I don't own stock in Purolator or any other filter company.

A concern I still have, is that if one tightens up the filter as usual, is that if the gasket is not compressed enough, it may not be able to withstand the 75 psi you speak of. I still prefer the number of turns approach as a more consistent approach. 10 N-m is only 7.4 foot pounds. That's pretty loose, in my book. I'm not surprised to hear of filters coming loose at that level. When I removed the filter that came with the bike, I was surprised that it came loose at 1/4 turn!

Guest Gary Cheek

Ouch! It must have hurt to lose an old friend like that engine.

My complements, Greg, on a beautiful piece of machining artistry.

If I get a chance I will post a pic. Actually I just drilled 4 .090 holes at the four corners. Rough cut the square with a 1/4" 2 flute end mill then took it out to size with a 3/32 end mill. The material is 7075 tool grade aluminum.

Perfect people and perfect systems do not require safeties.

This is Moto Guzzi motorcycles and Moto Guzzi motorcycle owners we're talking about here. A simple hose clamp seems a perfectly failsafe device to prevent the disaster that befell three of my friends this summer (two V11s and one Cali 1100).

Wanna know what each of them said when I showed them the hose-clamp trick after selling them all-new engine bearings?

"Why didn't you show me that before?"

Sad thing was, I had told them about it, and they scoffed. They were mighty mechanics and experienced Guzzi home wrenches. This could never happen to them, until, of course, it did.

I've now showed you all. That's FWIW. I'll make more money if you ignore my advice, so add that to the FWIW.

And remember: The pink stuff in Redline SPH is just ground-up strawberries. And K&N filters filter better when dirty. Really. I'm not kidding. And that flickering oil light on your V11? It's nothing. Totally normal. Just ignore it. Really.

The pink stuff in Redline SPH is just ground-up strawberries. And K&N filters filter better when dirty. Really. I'm not kidding. And that flickering oil light on your V11? It's nothing. Totally normal. Just ignore it. Really.

you shoulda gone into comedy :rolleyes:

what is it with guzzi mechanics, they're so cynical, aren't they pete? :lol:

:huh2:

:ninja:

what is it with guzzi mechanics, they're so cynical, aren't they pete? :lol:

I'm a mechanic in my own home shop from 4-8 a.m and a parts guy at the busiest Guzzi dealership in the US from 9-6. How could I not be cynical?

You bastards oughta listen. There's only one of me . . . :wacko:

Guest Gary Cheek

"Perfect people and perfect systems do not require safeties. "

So what happens when a less than perfect mechanic fails to properly tighten the hose clamp?

Ever consider drilling the hose clamp screw for a safety wire? It wouldn't hurt to do the same on filter clamps when they are used on hoses too. :)