Slow steering

Dan M

If there is one complaint with my LeMans, (well, let's face it, there may be more than one) It is that the steering is slow. It's tough to describe this bike as "flickable" In fact, it's noticeably easier to change lines on my much heavier RT than on the LeMans. I've switched to Wilburs springs in front and a Wilburs shock in back & dialed in sag as has been discussed here before. As well as raising the forks in the clamps by about 10mm. The bike is much improved but still heavy handling. I keep the steering dampener dialed all the way soft and I know my 180 rear tire is not the optimum width and when worn I'll switch to a 170, but I'm looking for more. I've seen offset steering head bearing kits that reduce rake by 1 degree. Sounds like a good idea to me. Anyone tried this on a long frame LeMans? I don't want it to be squirrelly at speed but it is sooo stable now that one degree may make it just right.

Thoughts?

I know my 180 rear tire is not the optimum width and when worn I'll switch to a 170

I don,t know what size your rear wheel is but you have already answered the critical part of the question. If you have the 5.5 inch wide wheel then you will notice a big improvement switching to a 170. If you have the 4.5 inch rear wheel then you had best go to a 160 if you want the bike more 'flickable' as the 180 on that rim will make it steer like a tractor (ask friskycutter).

The next step is to spend several thousands to change the frame geometry and lenghten the swingarm and reduce the weight by 80 pounds. That should make it slightly more flickable!

I don,t know what size your rear wheel is but you have already answered the critical part of the question. If you have the 5.5 inch wide wheel then you will notice a big improvement switching to a 170. If you have the 4.5 inch rear wheel then you had best go to a 160 if you want the bike more 'flickable' as the 180 on that rim will make it steer like a tractor (ask friskycutter).

The LeMans has a 5.5" with a factory tire size of 180. I should have gone with a 170 when I replaced the tires last spring.

The LeMans has a 5.5" with a factory tire size of 180. I should have gone with a 170 when I replaced the tires last spring.

I just swapped to a 170 Z6 and I'm really happy with the results. It turns in much easier than with the 180 BT020 but then all new tires turn in a lot better than squared off older ones.

I just swapped to a 170 Z6 and I'm really happy with the results. It turns in much easier than with the 180 BT020 but then all new tires turn in a lot better than squared off older ones.

I too switched to a 170 rear. I put on Pirelli Diablo Strada's. With the slightly more aggressive profile of the front tire combined with the 170 on the rear it is indeed more flickable. At first I thought it turned in too quick so I fooled with tire pressure until I found a nice balance. The bridgestone 180 always felt like it was turning in much slower than the front. Kinda truckish. I like it gooder now.

I find mine being lazy everytime when the tire pressure is too low. I don't know the value in your units, for my short and easy Sport/2000 I found 2.5/2.9 bar to be appropriate, regardless what is written here or there.

Your somewhat heavier LeMans may prefer even higher pressures. Try it out.

Hubert

The rear tyre is a 160 Z6, by the way.

I too switched to a 170 rear. I put on Pirelli Diablo Strada's. With the slightly more aggressive profile of the front tire combined with the 170 on the rear it is indeed more flickable. At first I thought it turned in too quick so I fooled with tire pressure until I found a nice balance. The bridgestone 180 always felt like it was turning in much slower than the front. Kinda truckish. I like it gooder now.

I switched to the 160 on my 2000 V-11 Sport from the 170 that was on it, and I switched from Pilot Road to Diablo Strada brand. I'm not certain how much is a result of which change, but I feel like I stold someboy else's bike!

It's still not like my son's R1, but neither is it like my dad's strato-glide, any more......... :drink:

I have tried tires from Bridgestone, Avon, Continental, Dunlop, Metzeler and Pirelli.

The Metzeler and Pirelli both made it more nimble.

Keep the tire pressure a couple pounds higher than what Guzzi recommends.

And dittos on everybody :stupid:

As mentioned above, the spine frame bikes are sensitive to tire choice.

My Sport 1100 did not steer well with the Metzeler ME-Z4 or the Avon AV 45/46. It steered great with the Pirelli Dragon GTS (no longer available) and the Bridgestone BT-014. It is on rails with the BT-014s I'm currently running!!!

My Nero Corsa did not steer well with the Pirelli Diablo Corsas the previous owner installed. Very truckish feel. 180/55 out back.

I just installed a set of the Metzeller Z6 Roadtec tires. Man, what a difference. I went with the 170/60 rear and it now steers like it's on rails, too. Unbelievable change. Very light and flickable...

96619856-M-1.jpg

The Pirelli Diablo Strada is the cousin to the Metzeler Z6, if you feel like Italians should wear Italian shoes.

FWIW, the Daytona/Sport/LeMans series bikes like "pointy" tires... :bike:

The next step is to spend several thousands to change the frame geometry and **lenghten** the swingarm and reduce the weight by 80 pounds. That should make it slightly more flickable!

As you didn't even spell it correctly, I assume you meant **shorten**?

8-)))

I presume that he meant move the engine forward to get more weight over the front wheel and lengthen the swingarm to improve rear grip/traction by increasing wheel travel.

But I may be wrong.

Jim? JIM??? JJIIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMM???????? :D

I presume that he meant move the engine forward to get more weight over the front wheel and lengthen the swingarm to improve rear grip/traction by increasing wheel travel.

But I may be wrong.

Jim? JIM??? JJIIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMM???????? :D

Yup! That's what I meant! It seems to work on my MGS! It handles very well!