New Guzzi Owner follow up

Guest Eric123

So, I bought a V11 LeMans, as the first bike I have ever owned, or really ridden. I mean I took the safety class with a Honda 250cc Nighthawk, but that is about it. The only other experience I have had with bikes is my cousin's fascination with vintage Harleys, a neighbors awesome Ducati, and a couple of 10 speeds.

So where does that leave me? Well, I have learned a few things in my first three months of ownership. The first is that the bike is Italian--so is that bad? No, it just means that I except quirks. I come from a long line of auto/moto weirdos. My brother went all the way to Canada to buy a 1972 Citroen SM!!!--and he couldn't even change the oil in a 1966 VW Beetle!!! I am glad the forum is able to help me with my questions about things. From what I know so far, is that unless the motor blows up--everything else can be fixed or solved. I have some mechanical background, but no place to work on my bike--so I just do what I can, and then find time to take to a dealer--who is an hour or so away from me.

Second, man what fun I am having!!! Everytime I am on the bike (traffic permitting) has been an absolute blast!! The reason why I got into Italian motorcycles is because I can't afford Italian cars--except for an Alfa Milano (RIP) I had many years ago. That Guzzi howl is intoxicating!!!! I also like the high speed comfort. I love this bike, but I know, I have a few things I need to do to make it better. I still get numb hands, a slight back ache, and well I need a PC III, but even without those things I feel like I am a part of something amazing. It has been nothing but great.

Third, well, I am not quite sure about the third thing--maybe it is the beer, but from what I have learned from the site is that everyone is supportive and willing to help--as long as you are not a jerk. I thought that if I bought a bike everyone (including the ladies) would turn my way. Not the case--no one gives me a second look except for a few curious seekers. Of course, my bike is Italian beige--but I am learning to live with it.

So with some parting words, at least for newbies, is that, buy a Guzzi. You will part of a cool group of individualists. The bikes themselves are truly works of art, and perform so. If you want Suzuki performance, then be like every other lame-o. I don't care about being a squid--just eating some after a long ride :D

I just want to say, enjoy your new bike--I know I have. Oh and the Guzzi phenom is addictive. It makes you want more!

I thought that if I bought a bike everyone (including the ladies) would turn my way. Not the case--no one gives me a second look except for a few curious seekers. Of course, my bike is Italian beige--but I am learning to live with it.

I've been riding Guzzi's for twenty years, and I only seem to attract really unattractive farmer or truck driving types. If TX Redneck sends you an invitation, man, just ignore it :P

Welcome aboard! :bier: Glad you are having fun with the bike. The maintenance it will need is not extensive- valves and oil- and can be done almost anywhere, but be sure and keep up on them. Do that, and chances are the motor will outlive your kids.

Ok. that's funny (post above about attraction factor) :stupid:

Man, what a bike to start out with. But it kind of makes sense. If I might recommend a book by David Hough:

A good book on motorcyle safety

Actually, I have and been reading that book. I know there is still a lot of stuff I need to learn, but am taking my time.

Track School :bier:

Of course I have never been, but I keep crashing :(

Track school is where it is at--definitely want to get involved in some kind of racing :D

road school.! thats where you need to survive :thumbsup: allways go faster than surrounding traffic. keep moving ahead. ride more. survive more.

Right road school, perhaps school of hard knocks? So far I ride almost everyday--traffic in my area is 2nd or 3rd worst in the country. I heard a rider was crushed to death yesterday on our highway, when a towed cement mixed rolled over on top of him!! So needless to say, I am as careful as I can!