'02 Scura Noise!!

mznyc

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark, was there a big metal washer under all bolts, or one for each bolt? bolts were still real tight, or a bit loose?

Hi Paul.

Bolts were still tight, can't remember about the washer, I know it was'nt one big one but I'll have a look when I get home, It's still on show on the work bench. :huh2:

Mark, are those output splines as sharp as they look? They appear much more worn than just 24000 Km's worth.

Glad you caught this before it went!

Yes jrt,

They are very sharp.I have another :pic: I will try to get on here at some time later.I ground the riverts out and welded a length of steel to it so I could use it as a tool to hold the other half of the output spline, Thats when I cut my finger, Blood pissing everywhere.

Mark, was there a big metal washer under all bolts, or one for each bolt? bolts were still real tight, or a bit loose?

Sorry Paul it has a big metal washer under all bolts, on further investergation don't even remember taking it out. :homer:

you can see big metal washer on flywheel.

Guest Mattress

Could have the job done in less time than it will take for the Tigers to throw the game away.

Surprise, they are as good we believed. I bet that was one party on Saturday! The media and the rest of the states don't respect Detroit teams (Lions don't count). ESPN - Eastern Seaboard Promoting Network.

I'm originally from mid-Michigan. Sometime I'll have to visit Detroit Eurocycles..

Sorry Paul it has a big metal washer under all bolts, on further investergation don't even remember taking it out. :homer:

you can see big metal washer on flywheel.

How do the edges of this washer look? Are both sides equal, or is one sharp and one rounded?

And your splines are really strange, at least those on the picture!

Hubert

How do the edges of this washer look? Are both sides equal, or is one sharp and one rounded?

And your splines are really strange, at least those on the picture!

Hubert

The washer is perfect, just a bit discoloured from rusty bolts.Not sure what you mean by strange, but that is everything that came out of the bike.{Strange as in worn out}

The washer is perfect, just a bit discoloured from rusty bolts.Not sure what you mean by strange, but that is everything that came out of the bike.{Strange as in worn out}

Yes, meant this, worn out in a strange way. And for this big washer, I wondered whether all the edges are well rounded or if you can see burrs or sharp edges? I'd expect so called Coin Edges.

The way the splines of the friction plate have erroded is very reminicent of what happens to shallow spline Surflex plates for the early twin platers. In that case the damage occurs because the splines in the plate centres don't match the splines of the hub, they are about 1mm too long and considerably wider so there is more ability for them to rattle around on the hub. It's not unkown for them to chop out in less than 15,000Km. It's not a hardness issue, I had the centres and the hub checked for hardness at the Australian Mint and they were well within spec, (Can't remember offhand what that was :blush: ) so it was purely a size and thrashing problem.

With the single plate clutches, especially those with very light flywheels, the damage does seem to occur quicker than with the twin platers. The last Scura clutch I saw had a bit of wear on the plate splines but the hub was really quite badly worn, this was at a comparatively low mileage. Why it should present like this I have no idea but sitting with the clutch pulled in for long periods at idle and a low idle speed will both contribute to premature wear.

Pete

Pete,

now that there are several Guzzi-RAM pictures available it would be nice if someone could post pix showing an aftermarket RAM example, at least the interesting because different parts. Do you have any available?

Hubert