2000 V11 Sport - Died on me!!!

jsciullo

Had the V11 out last night and all of the sudden the engine died like it ran out of gas. Pulled to the side of the road and tried to re-start - everything looked OK but no weird Guzzi noise from the fuel pump. It tried to start but didnt appear to be getting any gas. I checked the gas tank and we have gas. Played around in with the relays and checked the fuse and all appears well. Do I just have a dead fuel pump or could soetihng else cause the fuel pump not to engage. Any help would be appreciated?

Thanks,

Jim in Dublin, OH

Hi Jim:

Try moving the bars from left to right as you hit the starter button... it has happened to me, ended up being a loose connection in the wiring on the left side of the frame. I had to take the tank off, straignten out the wires to give a bit more slack around the head tube.

Andrew

PS I PM'd you

Hi Jim:

Try moving the bars from left to right as you hit the starter button... it has happened to me, ended up being a loose connection in the wiring on the left side of the frame. I had to take the tank off, straignten out the wires to give a bit more slack around the head tube.

Andrew

PS I PM'd you

If its that easy Im going to kick myself. I'll give it a try. Was the fuel pump on when you did this?

Jim

When my 03 LeMans did that it ended up being the kill switch. Easy to see if that is the cuplrit. If you get it running wiggle the red button, and see if the engine croaks. I replaced mine and no more issues.

Good luck on finding the fault though.

@ Jim from Dublin-Ohio

I have a similar V11 SPORT (made 2000), and my fuel pump died at 25,000km.

Find out if your pump is dead:

1. Remove the tank (and disconnect the 2 fuel hoses and one electroc connector before), then see the pump fixed to the frame with 2 brackets.

2. Take a volt meter and measure if the fuel pump is on 12 Volts, when you turn the ignition key.

3. If ther are 12V, but the pump does not sound ==> replace pump.

Originally, it is a PIERBURG pump, but BOSCH offers a suitable replacement

See my corresponding article (Sorry - German language)

http://35229.rapidforum.com/topic=102475709271

I mention the spare part numbers and the catalogues at the end of this article.

regards -Martin-

@ Jim from Dublin-Ohio

I have a similar V11 SPORT (made 2000), and my fuel pump died at 25,000km.

Find out if your pump is dead:

1. Remove the tank (and disconnect the 2 fuel hoses and one electroc connector before), then see the pump fixed to the frame with 2 brackets.

2. Take a volt meter and measure if the fuel pump is on 12 Volts, when you turn the ignition key.

3. If ther are 12V, but the pump does not sound ==> replace pump.

Originally, it is a PIERBURG pump, but BOSCH offers a suitable replacement

See my corresponding article (Sorry - German language)

http://35229.rapidforum.com/topic=102475709271

I mention the spare part numbers and the catalogues at the end of this article.

regards -Martin-

The pump does not make a sound and everything else seems ok. I think it might be a dead pump?

Jim

The pump does not make a sound and everything else seems ok. I think it might be a dead pump?

Jim

Jim

hope you tried all these with the side stand lifted.

Something more simple you should also check is the little button like switch at the side stand .

As the side stand mounts off (when you lift) there is at the other side ot the joint a little button like switch, try pushing and pulling turn it around it a bit (with key to on) and the side stand lifted (take care on holding the bike in this position). Mine had this failure (though I have a 1100i Sport this thingie is simmilar) and though it moved when the side stand was off , it didn't make a good contact and the fuel pump wouldn't start.

The solution on mine, was to make this switch to contact, and then take it out of this position of the stand, and mount it (isolated with strong duct tape) somewhere in the frame (though you don't have to do that)

The solution on mine, was to make this switch to contact, and then take it out of this position of the stand, and mount it (isolated with strong duct tape) somewhere in the frame (though you don't have to do that)

Be it the problem or not, I'd not even think about removing the sidestand control switch. A hint like that is not what should be posted anonymous on a public forum and Alex should know this if he is the experienced rider that he claims to be.

Anonymous in the case that a forgotten sidestand can kill you and then it's of no help to blaim an avatar or what ever to be the responsible for this desaster. If you just damage your bike or health it's no help either.

Anyway, these switches could prevent you from starting the bike, they should not cause the engine to suddenly die. Personally I think that also a dead ECU is most unlikely.

Try the kill switch. This sounds reasonable. And then the rest of the electrics. Do you know how to use a multi-meter and how to read el. schematics? This would probably help a lot.

Hubert

Be it the problem or not, I'd not even think about removing the sidestand control switch. A hint like that is not what should be posted anonymous on a public forum and Alex should know this if he is the experienced rider that he claims to be.

If you really notice I STATE that it was MY solution and in the parenthesis ( though you don't have to do that)

Besides everyone should do what they judje for themselfs that is right, what if one says I did jump from a canyon down free parachute and it was OK,

does it mean any other have to do it?

That's only MY solution to that problem and doesn't have to be anyone elses.There are dangers hidden to it.

The correct thing to do is to replace it.

But to my occation ince at the moment wasn't determined to change the whole side stand system(along with the side stand) simce I didn't find this switch as sepperrate , to be on the street riding and suddenly have my engine stoped because of the switch I found i more dangerous than placing it somewhere temporarily , till I find a new switch and change it.

If you really notice I STATE that it was MY solution and in the parenthesis ( though you don't have to do that)

Besides everyone should do what they judje for themselfs that is right, what if one says I did jump from a canyon down free parachute and it was OK,

does it mean any other have to do it?

That's only MY solution to that problem and doesn't have to be anyone elses.There are dangers hidden to it.

The correct thing to do is to replace it.

But to my occation ince at the moment wasn't determined to change the whole side stand system(along with the side stand) simce I didn't find this switch as sepperrate , to be on the street riding and suddenly have my engine stoped because of the switch I found i more dangerous than placing it somewhere temporarily , till I find a new switch and change it.

The neutral switch and the fuel solenoid valve (chk. wires) can also cause the pump to not engage.

Make sure of your relays.