Gear oil weepage

rcono

I have a Nero Corsa which has a small gear oil weepage leak right above the crossover pipes. It doesn't leak when I'm riding that I can discern, (I check it the second I'm off the bike) however, when it is parked after a few hours it leaks one small drop and continues the next day which amounts to maybe two or three drops. This has been going on for a month and a half (that I've noticed). Good news, the bike is still under warranty until the end of the year. Bad news, the engine needs to be taken down to fix the problem. Let me preface my questions with the understanding that I've read most of the threads on this site concerning this particular problem.

My first question-should I go ahead and try the redline first and see if it stops and if it does, forget about the fix or have it fixed under warranty anyway?

Second question-does anybody think this is going to be a recurring problem after I get it fixed and how long will it last?

Third...If I try to tighten the bolts myself (on the bike and without a torque wrench) can I do more damage than good?

BTW...other than that, the bike rides perfectly....What a ride.

I'm sure that it is leaking all the time, including when you're riding.

I don't think that a good fix has been found for this, as you will have noticed in the other threads.

The main solution offered is to fill the box with Redline.

Bad news – Do a search under 'Moto Guzzi warranty' and you'll find the bad news.

Good news – Apart from staining-pollution, the small leak doesn't do any harm.

Third...If I try to tighten the bolts myself (on the bike and without a torque wrench) can I do more damage than good?

BTW...other than that, the bike rides perfectly....What a ride.

Yep you will do more damage to it. fasten the screws with the acceptable torgue and that's all you can do about them. About the other , I don't have a V11 and can't contribute any usefull advice , perhaps AntonioCarroccio (forumist) can help , he has told me about his big (though) leak on the gearbox,and about fixing it.

Thanks all, I'm giving the redline a try. Hopefully it'll cure the problem...for now.

I don't know about the red line thing , though I have tried the Castrol MTX 75-140W and stoped the leakage in my back bevel to a 90% (except if I ride fast in highway speeds 140-150kmh)

Obviously there have to be changed some gaskets there sooner or latter but this oil i so good.

It was suggested to me from a very good mechanic , not for stoping leakages but for great performance

gear box and bevel oil for my Guzzi.

Thanks all, I'm giving the redline a try. Hopefully it'll cure the problem...for now.

Mine weeped onto xover from new. Put in Redline - it stopped weeping. Let us know how yours gets on.

Cheers, KB :sun:

If you had to ask, don't do it.

But I recommend you practice tightening 6mm threaded bolts on your neighbor's honda when he is asleep.

You can quickly learn what the breaking point of bolts are.

I made the mistake of learning on my own motorcycles.

I do however recommend you ask the dealer to spend two minutes tightening every easilly accessible bolt that could effect leaking.

They will probably do it free of charge to reduce the chance of having to do warranty work...or not.

If this is a year susceptible to spring breakage, I'd get it done under warranty, replace the pawl spring as per several threads here. Is the Nero a single plate clutch? Might get them them have a gander at it too.

I see no harm in taking the gearbox down. You shouldn't (I'd think) have to tear the engine apart...

If you're coming to the end of your warranty, why not get a good look at everything if you have a chance to do it on MG's nickel. Might find other stuff to warranty before it goes.

:2c:

Rj

From day one my gearbox weeped. <_ only when parked for a long time why wouldn it weep from sitting still>

I am satisfied that it leaked all the time but when you are riding it the small amount of weepage just burnt away. Four years later and after 30000klms I go it to stop. I used redline.

NOW 10000klms later not weeping. Only way to go REDLINE SHOCKPROOF HEAVY :thumbsup:

Ok...Good news. Changed the gear oil with Redline. IMO the gear oil that MG advises looked very thin to me. Forget about what they say the viscosity numbers are for their gear oil...hell it looked to be 30w motor oil at best. Now this stuff had just been replaced by the dealer and I'm sure they used what was called for however, compared to Redline it's an incredible difference. I have an 1100 RT and have done the gear oil change with that bike and the BMW gear oil was never that thin. BTW I switched to redline about a year and a half ago and it made a heck of a difference with the gear change. Back to the Nero...went for a 50 mile ride after the oil change and wow...the bike ran smoother and the gear changes weren't as clunky and notchy. Felt like butter and in fact (maybe psycological) but I swear I could tell what gear I was in much easier. As well, I could feel the gear(s) pull easier throughout the rev range. Well, finally got back and checked to see if I had a leak....not a drop. Kept checking it throughout the day and even before I turned in. No drop. Is it cured? So far so good. However, will continue to ride and put more miles on and will keep you all updated. Do I really want this to work...hell yes! The idea of tearing it down to rebuild it when it runs so well now scares the crap out of me. I don't really know if it'll come back the same way no matter how good the intentions of all concerned are. In any case , I'll ride it for now, keep checking it and at worst, if the leak starts up again at least think about getting it fixed before the warranty date is up.

Greg, They did...sort of. Evidently the bike had a Canadian sticker on it. However, the lady at the DMV pushed it through. Kinda funny...she said, "oh, your friend must of bought the bike in Canada"...my response was.. :homer: " oh yea, forgot about that....yea... that was it....wow, totally forgot about that... then he had it shipped to atlanta". Thank goodness she was nice...She was clearly fron India so I mentioned when she was looking for the sticker that it probably wasn't in the same place as a Royal Enfield. She got a kick out of that and ended up telling me about her time as a little girl on the back of her brothers bike. :whistle: 45 min, later I got the paper work. I guess that helped me a little. So as it stands, I'm waiting for the plates. Thanks again :notworthy: ...BTW I've put almost 1,000mi on it since I got it. So I'm getting closer to that 7,500 mi mark and it won't matter I guess if it doesn't go through. :rasta: Then it's considered used;)R-

Yep...I just put 125miles on yesterday so I'm at the 6,000 mi. mark and counting. Just in case it doesn't go through. BTW....NO WEEPAGE!!!!! That Redline is like Magical Mystery Oil. Remember that stuff? Fixed everything. Good for your engine, great for your hair, you could cook with it...fought crime, cured cancer...anyway, I'm happy about the Redline and at this point even though it may be a bit premature...I think it help and cured my weepage problem. So a def. :thumbsup:

Guest ratchethack

Yep...I just put 125miles on yesterday so I'm at the 6,000 mi. mark and counting. Just in case it doesn't go through. BTW....NO WEEPAGE!!!!! That Redline is like Magical Mystery Oil. Remember that stuff? Fixed everything. Good for your engine, great for your hair, you could cook with it...fought crime, cured cancer...anyway, I'm happy about the Redline and at this point even though it may be a bit premature...I think it help and cured my weepage problem. So a def. :thumbsup:

I think y'er referring to Marvel Mystery Oil? I used to know a guy who used it as a carbon solvent to decarbonize pistons and valves after disassembly. Worked like a Champ. :P