Poor mans engine mods? (help!)

Guest icarus

Guest icarus

Well, I’m having my engine casings swapped under warranty due to the notorious bubbling engine paint. I have been waiting excitedly for the swap, dreaming of installing higher compression pistons, hot cam, rods, whatever. Instead, I find myself going back to school and financially strapped, on a budget that leaves very little for go-fast parts and it will be like this for a couple more years. :homer: If I were to stay under a $500 limit, is there anything that would be worth doing to the twin internally, or should I just keep it stock? :huh2: I have already installed a PCIII and pipes/air filter.

-Tyson

Well, this is just my opinion- so-

Speed and money are correllated on a cube root.

1) Changing the internals won't get you much advantage- a couple horsepower on a motor that already is running close to it's limits. Leave the bike alone and lose some weight, your money is better spent elswhere (vida infra)

That said:

1a) contact Carl Allison, who just advertized a day or two ago that he is selling some parts. If you're determined to buy some cool stuff for the bike, he's got it.

Good places to spend a small amount of money.

2) get a Roper sloppage tray. Money (probably) well spent.

3) get a decent (Succhi X type) Crossover. They rock.

Both 2+3 will be less than 500 and 2 will provide peace of mind, while 3 will eliminate the flat spot and make the engine sound great. Sound is 1/2 of psychological aspect of going faster.

I would take the $500 & buy good safety/riding gear instead of trying to tinker with the motor. There also seems to be a lot of argument over the benefit of high compression pistons. $500 in engine mods would barely make any difference, but take the same $500 & get a top shelf helmet or leather jacket & now you've definitely improved your riding experience ;):2c: Personally I like the way my mostly stock v11 runs & I've found that the better the gear the better the ride. I would entertain the idea of modifying my bike but I have yet to see anyone get much better than low 90's hp numbers at the cost of several thousand dollars. JMO of course

Suspension set up for you and an advance riding course usally at a track will make you bike a lot faster than messing with the engine ever will.

100% ditto this. If you ride your bike hard I would also recommend one of my sloppage sheets but others find that they don't have a problem.

Pete

Guest drknow

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned a lighter clutch. I'd do that for sure. Either the RAM or have one of the discarded single plates lightened by the likes of Ed Milich at guzzitech. It really changes the characteristics of the motor and makes it much sportier. It's still plenty heavy, so no issues, just better. You can search for light clutch threads to read others feelings.

Penske shock, revalved and sprung forks, radial master cylinder, power commander with good map, free flowing air filter and take the snorkles off and cut holes in the top of the airbox, light clutch. Those are the major ones. The sloppage plate seems like a good call too.

dk

I agree with #3 from jrt, a new crossover :thumbsup:

Knowing your setup and having had a similar one, the crossover will be the last piece of the airflow puzzle (without pulling off the heads/etc.). You'll feel the difference in the midrange. For me, it was one of those "A-HA!" moments, where everything came together.

My :2c:

Get the sloppage sheet, harder valves, lighter clutch, crossover, porting, Hi-Comp Piston, proper suspension, track day, and hang it on your 20% credit card :bier:

Or spend the money on books, no-doze, and then get smart and then get rich and then buy a race track for your stable of fine bikes :drink:

Guest drknow

Get the sloppage sheet, harder valves, lighter clutch, crossover, porting, Hi-Comp Piston, proper suspension, track day, and hang it on your 20% credit card :bier:

Or spend the money on books, no-doze, and then get smart and then get rich and then buy a race track for your stable of fine bikes :drink:

Gotta disagree here. If it's a bike you're gonna ride for awhile or keep, it (and you) deserve proper suspension. All the rest is if you think it'll improve your enjoyment of this motorcycle the way you use it.

Oh, and a light clutch and sloppage plate would be right around $500.

dk

Gotta disagree here. If it's a bike you're gonna ride for awhile or keep, it (and you) deserve proper suspension. All the rest is if you think it'll improve your enjoyment of this motorcycle the way you use it.

dk

I agree...except for the disagreeing part.

Guest icarus

Thanks guys, I feel better already :bier: I have the riding gear, Vanson jacket and pants and Arai for my head, Held gloves, Alpinestar boots. I spent my money there first, then started the mods. I'm gonna go with a crossover, and just let the dealer know that other than that, no engine mods for now. So, to kick a dead horse deader, what crossover should I use? FBF seems the cheapest. Anyone absolutely apposed to FBF crossovers? I think that builing for torque is my goal here . . .

I agree with #3 from jrt, a new crossover :thumbsup:

Knowing your setup and having had a similar one, the crossover will be the last piece of the airflow puzzle (without pulling off the heads/etc.). You'll feel the difference in the midrange. For me, it was one of those "A-HA!" moments, where everything came together.

My :2c:

Buy a CD175 to ride every now and then, so that you can make comparisons.

That was very, very cruel. I suppose somewhere back in the mists of time there may of been a worse handling, more under-braked motorbike than the CD 175 but I can't actually think of one off hand. I had one as my ONLY form of transport from when I was about 19 till I was about 20. Horrid beyond belief, but unkillable! It tried to kill me a couple of times though!

Pete

That was very, very cruel. I suppose somewhere back in the mists of time there may of been a worse handling, more under-braked motorbike than the CD 175 but I can't actually think of one off hand. I had one as my ONLY form of transport from when I was about 19 till I was about 20. Horrid beyond belief, but unkillable! It tried to kill me a couple of times though!

Pete

Hehe :D I used to whip one on my Yam 80 ––– until it came to the hills :(

It tried to kill me a couple of times though!

One of the beasties but me on the road, trying to get it round a corner. I wasn't wearing a helmet or gloves or boots or any of that stuff. Only me trusty Arran jumper. That bike didn't appreciate timeless fashion.

pic41d050aa7c4ec.jpg