Getting Old Sucks - More to ... V11 Sport Died

jsciullo

Last week I posted that my V11 Sport died while riding. I did mention that I checked the fuses and they were OK. Well they were not OK. Once I had a chance to do the once over before I ordered a new fuel pump I pulled the fuses again and "low and behold" fuse #1 (ECU) had blown. I guess good lighting and my glasses may have saved me $300. The weird thing is that that fuse is supposed to be a 5A but it was a 10A. I dont ever remember changing a fuse on this bike. I put in a new 5A fuse and she started right up.

Other than adding some fuses to my tool kit... any suggestions on what might have caused it to blow?

Thanks,

Jim in Dublin, OH

Guest ratchethack

Jim, I had too much coffee and posted a suggestion on relays. :homer: Hopefully you didn't see it before I deleted it. :blush:

I had a ECU fuse go bad that LOOKED fine. Carl Allison suggested testing them all, which I did, and lo and behold -- no continuity across #1. :homer: There hasn't been any problem since. Sometimes fuses don't live up to their intended service life. I'd just be mindful of it and if she blows again, THAT'S when I'd start to get concerned.

BAA, TJM, & YMMV

Guest redguzziv10

i had the ECU fuse blow several times on my old Centauro, then a chap called Jim Palma (RIP) sent me one of these to fit ....problem cured.

not being very electrical minded i don't know why or how it works, it just does

apparently you get them from radio shack and they cost pennies...or cents!

Last week I posted that my V11 Sport died while riding. I did mention that I checked the fuses and they were OK. Well they were not OK. Once I had a chance to do the once over before I ordered a new fuel pump I pulled the fuses again and "low and behold" fuse #1 (ECU) had blown. I guess good lighting and my glasses may have saved me $300. The weird thing is that that fuse is supposed to be a 5A but it was a 10A. I dont ever remember changing a fuse on this bike. I put in a new 5A fuse and she started right up.

Other than adding some fuses to my tool kit... any suggestions on what might have caused it to blow?

Thanks,

Jim in Dublin, OH

Ok - time to start worring. I took the bike out after replacing the blown fuse with a 5A fuse. Road her for about 20 mins and she dies. Fuse 1 was blown. Replaced it with a spare and it blows. Put a 10A in and she blows that as well. Put a 30 in (all I had left and I limped the 3 miles home. Any suggestions on where to start to look?

Jim in Dublin, OH

Also time to pull the seat and loosen the fuse block and relay blocks to lift them up and search for chafed wiring.

So hard to get the smoke back in the wires. :rasta::o