Red Heads & parts ?

Crooz

Hello. New member here.

I have been interested in purchasing a used V11 since spring of this year.

2 weeks ago I found an extremely nice 2002 LeMans for sale. I have done some research this year but have never taken time to join this forum and ask the following questions:

What year models and model types have the red powder coated head covers and the red parts on the sides of the frame near the footpegs? The Lemans that I am currently considering doesn't have either of these red parts, so I would like to know if I can exchange/replace it's current parts with reds one from another V11 model/year.

Thanks in advance for your knowledge.

Hello. New member here.

2 weeks ago I found an extremely nice 2002 LeMans for sale. I have done some research this year but have never taken time to join this forum and ask the following questions:

What year models and model types have the red powder coated head covers and the red parts on the sides of the frame near the footpegs? The Lemans that I am currently considering doesn't have either of these red parts, so I would like to know if I can exchange/replace it's current parts with reds one from another V11 model/year.

Welcome Crooz!

I think the model that came with the red valve covers was the Rosso Mandello (someone please correct me if I'm wrong :) ) The red side plates, or as we like to call them, "pork chops" weren't specific to any special edition (again someone please correct me...)

Both parts are interchangable with virtually any V11 Sport/LeMans. Some valve covers may be drilled to accommodate a crankcase breather.

Unfortunately the pork chops are painted, not powder coated. Even worse the paint doesn't tolerate UV light too well, so if you park outside, expect to have pink pork chops in the near future. Even worse than that, someone didn't prep the parts well enough or f****d up mixing the paint, and often separates and peels off in large flakes.

Your best bet is to get whatever ones you have powdercoated. I'm looking in to this myself, and if I can find a good match for the red I'd love to coordinate a group coating, that way we'll all get a price break :thumbsup: Heck, if you want to do the valve covers at the same time, that'll be even cheaper.

Cheers,

Hello. New member here.

Hi,

The Le Mans with the red powder coated heads is the Rosso Corsa, from 2003 on. The Rosso Mandello also had red powder coated head, but I don't know the year. Those parts will be interchangable between all V11s.

Hi,

The Le Mans with the red powder coated heads is the Rosso Corsa, from 2003 on. The Rosso Mandello also had red powder coated head, but I don't know the year. Those parts will be interchangable between all V11s.

The Nero Corsa had the red covers as well.

You bad boys out there have so degraded this Forum that I thought, from the title, this was going to be another one of those 'Hooters' and whatsits threads. :wacko:

Your best bet is to get whatever ones you have powdercoated. I'm looking in to this myself, and if I can find a good match for the red

When I had the frame for my Duc powder coated I used a color that, I think, was called "Little Red Express". I remember bringing it home, sitting it beside the Guzzi and thinking "Hey that's about spot on". That's all I remember...

Rj

Welcome Crooz!

I think the model that came with the red valve covers was the Rosso Mandello. The red side plates, or as we like to call them, "pork chops" weren't specific to any special edition.

Both parts are interchangable with virtually any V11 Sport/LeMans. Some valve covers may be drilled to accommodate a crankcase breather.

Unfortunately the pork chops are painted, not powder coated. Even worse the paint doesn't tolerate UV light too well, so if you park outside, expect to have pink pork chops in the near future. Even worse than that, someone didn't prep the parts well enough or f****d up mixing the paint, and often separates and peels off in large flakes.

Thanks to everyone for the assistance and for sharing your infinite :mg: knowledge!

You bad boys out there have so degraded this Forum that I thought, from the title, this was going to be another one of those 'Hooters' and whatsits threads. :wacko:

Ah yes, Red heads... Testarossas... bottles of Maker's... Slug's avatar... :homer:

I am to make my final decision this week as to whether or not to procure the 02 Lemans.

So tell me oh yea of infinate knowledge... will I be happy with this Italian machine? This will be my first venture outside of the Asian bikes.

I am to make my final decision this week as to whether or not to procure the 02 Lemans.

So tell me oh yea of infinate knowledge... will I be happy with this Italian machine? This will be my first venture outside of the Asian bikes.

The short answer: Maybe...

Actually, If you are looking for character like no other, plenty of torque, excellent stabillity in high speed sweepers, excellent brakes and oh yea, that awesome sound, then the answer is yes, absolutely!

If you measure everything in quarter mile times, up to the minute technology and bullet-proof reliability, then probably not.

I haven't had an Asian bike for a few years now and I'm not looking back.

The short answer: Maybe...

Actually, If you are looking for character like no other, plenty of torque, excellent stabillity in high speed sweepers, excellent brakes and oh yea, that awesome sound, then the answer is yes, absolutely!

If you measure everything in quarter mile times, up to the minute technology and bullet-proof reliability, then probably not.

I haven't had an Asian bike for a few years now and I'm not looking back.

Just to add to Dan's very accurate thoughts, the Guzzi is mechanically a very tough machine, and would last longer than a modern hypersports Japanese bike, mainly as the Jap superbikes engines are very highly tuned. Where Guzzi's have to be gotten used to is the entire manner of riding one. They are not point & shoot bikes, with 150+ hp, but machines that work best riding in a smooth rythm, using the engines satisfying engine braking, and mid corner torque surge out of corners that will surprisingly keep up with the superbikes in the tight stuff, and you will find yourself smiling in your helmet . Use Guzzi's in a manner employing no mechanical sympathy [running the shit out of them, popping wheelies etc] and they will protest by blowing a shaft drive u-joint or something.

Ciao, Steve G.