Are You Serious? Griso vs V11s

Janusz

I see some opinions about new Griso and they are all very positive, especially as far as looks are concerned.

Now, I never rode it yet, but I saw it in the flesh and even sat on it for a few minutes while visiting Mandello exactly a year ago, Oct. 2005. It really looks different, better then in the pictures, intriguing even, but beautiful? I would not want to sound negative, but the left side brings to mind back of a refrigerator with all these pipes and armature, on the right side the huge oil cooler looks like someone stuck a plastic tool chest there. Generally an overly futuristic look not giving one too much confidence how it will fare esthetically over the years.

In contrast v11 family is always elegant in its retro naked style and its style seems to be not affected by the passage of years. For me it is as impressive as any Guzzi in general and as Griso in particular but in a natural way and not stylistically overdone.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see some opinions about new Griso and they are all very positive, especially as far as looks are concerned.

Now, I never rode it yet, but I saw it in the flesh and even sat on it for a few minutes while visiting Mandello exactly a year ago, Oct. 2005. It really looks different, better then in the pictures, intriguing even, but beautiful? I would not want to sound negative, but the left side brings to mind back of a refrigerator with all these pipes and armature, on the right side the huge oil cooler looks like someone stuck a plastic tool chest there. Generally an overly futuristic look not giving one too much confidence how it will fare esthetically over the years.

In contrast v11 family is always elegant in its retro naked style and its style seems to be not affected by the passage of years. For me it is as impressive as any Guzzi in general and as Griso in particular but in a natural way and not stylistically overdone.

Whenever I go to the local M.G. dealer these day, the salesman 'of course' pushes me to move on up from my old V11 to a Griso, noting that there have been 5 Grisos, and 5 Brevas languishing in the shop there since they took delivery in the spring. Being someone who regretfully does not sugar coat a comment, I say simply that the two new models don't look as good as the V11.

Maybe the Norge or the 1200 Sport has a chance with me [if they ever make it to Canada for sale] but the base model Breva is to me not a good looking bike.

The Griso has appealing looks, and I'm sure it has better fit/quality than the V11, but honestly the only thing I can say about it right now is it has a very nice sitting position. It's advertised power output is less than the V11, which to me means not enough. I like things even, or what's the word, "asmietric", the same on both sides. The one huge can on one side, and an oil radiator on the other, I just don't know. Have you seen how Ducati has changed the styling of their classics in 2007 to go along with what I'm talking about.

Ciao, Steve G.

I'm with Steve on this one for sure! My friend and I went down to British Italian last friday to check out the new bikes (Guzzi, Aprillia, Triumph) The Griso may grow on you over time but it doesn't even come close to the looks of the V11. I would not trade my V11 for a Griso or anything currently offered by Moto Guzzi. (MGS-01 excluded, if it was road legal!) Even if I was to get a second bike it would not be a Guzzi based on the current Canadian line-up, on the other hand, I'll take a Triumph Daytona 675 please!

Guys, this isn't something where there is a *right* and a *wrong*. It's purely personal taste and choosing which tool is better for your intended task.

One of the things I love about all Guzzis is that they are hopelessly asymetric as one cylinder is further forward than the other and I personally find symetry boring but that's just me, it doesn't mean I'm *right* just different.

As I said in the other thread I think a well set up V11 is probably more powerful than a Griso but to me that is completely irrelevant as my Griso is more than adequately powerful for ME. If people want more power? that's fine, but to be honest if you want much more power you'll have to leave the Guzzi fold and go to something more modern as there are, unfortunately, limits to the amount of Oomph! you can drag out of an old air cooled, hemi head, 2 valve twin.

Pete

There was SOME DISCUSSION along these lines, this time last year.

A year on, my opinion might have softened a bit. I mean, at first look, you have a certain opinion of this guy's fashion sense

S21339.jpg

but that softens with time, as you get used to him....

Doesn't make it right though. Hmmmmm......

NB Obviously, as with the 'Breva bashing', no offence is meant. :thumbsup:

:rolleyes:

I'll take a Triumph Daytona 675 please!

What? the poor man's R1? With one cylinder missing?

Go for a real thing and you'll have it made, it is not much more and easier accessible. Surely the most beautiful sportsbike in the world made outside of Apennine Peninsula.

The years are numbered before they'll completely ban this type of performance for the street easily accessible for a common man. Take advantage of these golden years as long as they still last, people. Do not be caught asleep at the controls!

There was SOME DISCUSSION along these lines, this time last year.

I've missed it obviously. Sorry then.

I'd have a griso to complement my V11, they remind me of an Eldorado, don't ask me why they just do.

Now a Griso 1200s with the Guzzi hopup kit and a supercharger from a mini cooper on it. There's a bike i'd have to rob a bank to own:)

I'd have a griso to complement my V11, they remind me of an Eldorado, don't ask me why they just do.

Now a Griso 1200s with the Guzzi hopup kit and a supercharger from a mini cooper on it. There's a bike i'd have to rob a bank to own:)

can they do a super charger on the new motors????? THAT would be sweet. I can't imagein the expense to have just a little bit less HP than a stock 749 but ya know, thats not the point. :grin:

maybe get one of those Turbo systems :ninja:

I've missed it obviously. Sorry then.

No no, just pointing to it, in case anyone would like to refer to it or say if their opinion has changed. It's interesting to hear now from people who have some riding experience of the bike, one year on.

I was asking, in the other thread, what the bike should be tested against. Looking further into Bike magazine, I see they have a Venn diagram type chart, showing what classification and overlaps new bikes fall into. From memory, they have the Griso along with Yam MT-01 and the Harley Street Rod. So those could well be 2 of the other bikes in the December issue Big Test.

Guys, this isn't something where there is a *right* and a *wrong*. It's purely personal taste and choosing which tool is better for your intended task.

And you can say that again, that's what is all about.

As I said in the other thread I think a well set up V11 is probably more powerful than a Griso but to me that is completely irrelevant as my Griso is more than adequately powerful for ME. If people want more power?

Pete

Concerning that all which I agree , we can also state that a Griso well set up would be more torguey and powerull than a V11. Nevertheless that can be also a matter of taste.

I would like to stay on the motor of the Griso and alike, having driven the Breva I could immediatelly notice the very smooth power delivery , the lack of vibrations and the more perfected gerabox.Generally it has to be a better motor than any previous oil cooled Guzzi has made, time will tell.Though personally I am happy that fianally guzzi has came up with such good motors.

:bier:

Guest Cantaloop

Griso and V11 LeMans are not compareable. I would never give my V11 away to drive a griso. But i like driving with the griso very much. Much easier to handle, exakt gearbox, good postion to drive. But the i changed to my got old V11 with BOS-Pipes. The engine is rough, but the sound is great. No, i like this bike most of my guzzis. Even with al the problems i have with it.

I mean, at first look, you have a certain opinion of this guy's fashion sense

S21339.jpg

but that softens with time, as you get used to him....

Doesn't make it right though. Hmmmmm......

I don't get the joke...

is there something wrong the man's fashion sense?

Looks fine by me

;)

I don't get the joke...

is there something wrong the man's fashion sense?

Looks fine by me

;)

You've got a Tenni, right???? :whistle:

I love the looks of the Griso, and it has much better rear suspension and tighter handling than the V11.

I too think the Griso looks 'The Biz'. I haven't ridden enough V11's hard to really comment on the handling but comments like 'Vague' and 'Willowy' have been used to describe them sometimes. While I don't push my bikes anywhere near as hard as other people do I've found that the Griso responds superbly to suspension tuning but it is sensitive. Even very small changes make a big difference. The spring rates seem fine for a porker like me but the front preload was too high and, at least for our goat-track roads, both compression and rebound damping were set far, far too firm at the factory. As I said, I don't ride nearly as hard as some but I do use all the back and most of the front of my tyres and have now got the Big 'G' handling just the way I like it. It's confidence inspiring and fantastic fun, even I manage to round up people on much more *modern* and powerful kit. Not, I might add, because I'm a better rider but simply because I have taken the time to play with and set up my suspension which is something that very few people actually seem to do :huh2:

Pete