Winter Riding Pleasure

Guest Nogbad

Filming or dropletting  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the water to ball up or spread out?

• Hydrophobic product (wax polish or silicone)
    • Hydrophilic Product (Detergent or Rain X etc)
    • Both (One on the inside other on the outside)
    • None at all
    • Special visor (Pinlock etc)

Used the V11 in very bad weather this week to commute to Central London. In the past I have waxed my visor but this time decided to try polishing detergent into it to cause the water to "film" rather than "ball".

In fact this proved far worse than the droplets as the visor got a film of water on that distorted my vision and required much more frequent wiping, so I have gone back to wax.

If you ride in the rain, what do you do to see as well as poss?

As a glasses wearer, opening the visor is not an option for me, so I have to find a way to manage rain on the outside and misting on the inside in a convenient way.

I use nothing as I ride with the visor slightly raised on my Arai in winter but Helen uses a Fog city visor insert, as does a friend of mine who wears specs.

They both say it works well.

I've noticed the trees have dumped their leaves this week and its been a bit slippy slidey but still great fun.

Guy :helmet:

As someone who lives in a rain forest and has ridden extensively in the wet with glasses, the only thing I've found is to crack the visor 1/2 way. If I keep the visor down, my glasses fog up and with the rain on the visor I can't see a thing. If I keep it up my glasses get the rain and can't see. Half way seems to be the best as it keeps the rain off the glasses but still allows me to see underneath it.

Far from ideal, but that's all that comes close to working...

Also hoping someone will suggest a miracle product but I'm not optimistic.

The little thumb squeegies work OK but are useless in anything other than light mist. And they are easily lost.

Rj

washing up liquid on the inside and cracked open when necessary

I find if it's raining hard and you crack the visor, rain gets behind it and then it's curtains. No fun on the motorway!

Im going to wax the outside and get a pinlock or a fog city.

I used a ''rain free'' spray from Hein Gericke and it worked, so far.

Another trick is to wipe the visor with a peeld off potato (LMAO , yes),in -out , or with the potato peel (wet side),and wipe off any glase after it dries with a soft cloth.It is the cheapest, yet effective anti rain+antifog,(more or less) and doesn't ruin your visor ;)

NEVER, use a polishing cream for the visor you will ruin it (more or less)

i open a couple of mm or more the visor always and doesnt get any fog.If it is raining too much I won't ride

And lattely I avoid riding in the rain as much as possible

Although I voted for Rainex, I have never found anything satisfactory in my 50+ years of riding. Saliva, glycerine, potato, plastic wax, anti-fog, etc. all seem to help some but .... <_>

Leaving the full face shield cracked open a bit seems as good as anything except in downpours. The solution then is a warm, waterproof shelter and a glass of red wine. :thumbsup:

As a regular now on the Leeds Manchester run (M62) I get what I consider to be the worst of all options. Little chance to use high speed to blow of the outside ball up and mixed low temperature rain and drizzle when good vision for filtering is essential.

What has always worked best for me is regular new visor with detergent polished on the inside and the visor slightly lifted to vent moist air. I also use a face mask to direct breath away from the inside of the visor. Fog city soon becomes degraded inside but has been of some success. It seems to me there is no ideal solution, you just seem to deal with the problem better the more time you have in these conditions.

The worse thing is the build up of road grime when its not wet enough to wash or adequately lubricate it as you use the back of your finger to wipe the visor clear. It just scratches it to buggery and you still can't see anything.

I did see a readers tip in an old magazine of a tennis ball with its top cut off ala boiled egg and bolted to bike used to contain a damp piece of a chamois leather

The worse thing is the build up of road grime when its not wet enough to wash or adequately lubricate it as you use the back of your finger to wipe the visor clear. It just scratches it to buggery and you still can't see anything.

I did see a readers tip in an old magazine of a tennis ball with its top cut off ala boiled egg and bolted to bike used to contain a damp piece of a chamois leather

these decorations..clip on clamp on. are getting out of hand. :D