Had a spill, stuck throttle

stucatz

OK, so I haven't had the v11 for 2 weeks and I ended up in the hospital for the past 2 days with a small break in my right hand and a bruise the size of a football on my left leg, here's what happened.

At a stop light all is well put in 1st gear and start to accelerate when all of a sudden the throttle shot up and pinned itself and would not return. Wen't down on my left and watched the bike speed up violently down the road maybe 25-50 ft.

Got up and ran to the bike and it was reving at full throttle, back wheel spinning out of control, so I used the emergency switch to shut her off.

Hit no one , lifted the bike , started it back up and again, was at full throttle so I clutched in and simply moved off to the side and turned it off.

The engine guards really did their job and the extent at first glance today shows damaged fairing, small scrape on tank and rear cowl and pushed in left exhaust (ordered new ones so not a problem)

It appears that with the thrust of the torque of this bike from the rear, the handlebars may have snapped to the right which would explain my break in my right hand between thumb and forefinger.

Out for a few weeks , but can anyone enlighten me on where I should pinpoint the problem(s)

Over 35000 kms riding and never had a spill, but there's always a first.

Now I am paranoid about the bike.

Very sorry to hear you had this happen. Only thing comes to mind is I've heard some people have had throttle body connecting rod joints seize & stick throttle. Check the rod runs between TB's. Get well soon.

KB :sun:

Have you, or anybody else, had the tank off recently? If so were you/they careful about checking the cable routing to make sure that the throttle cable was routed with gentle bends and also not squeezed or nipped between say, the tank and the steering head of the bike.

If cables are asked to go through too tight bends they will bind. Likewise if the cable is squeezed the outer may crush down onto the inner and prevent it moving freely. Either of these *may* cause the throttle to stick open.

Otherwise check the linkage between the TB's. Make sure that the rod isn't hanging up on anything and the rose joints are free of crud. If when you turn the twistgrip back to idle position the bell crank on the top of the TB remains in the WFO possition and the cable goes slack then there has to be something either causing the rod, the rose joints or the butterfly spindles, (And possibly the sweeper of the TPS?) to jam up. There is a spring that closes the butterflys that opperates on the bell crank. If this has broken this too wouild allow the throttle to hang wide open.

Having said this I think the cable routing is the most likely culprit. Take the tank off and then try twisting the twistgrip and letting go. If the butterfies snap shut then the most likely problem us a pinched cable.

Oh, and I'm sorry to hear about your injuries but it could of been a lot worse!

Pete

Speedy recovery.

It sounds more along the lines of the broken spring scenario, than the trapped cable if its taken it self wide open and not just a case of the throttle not returning. I did have a sticky throttle, lubed the cable and the twist grip.

Sorry to hear about your fall. I had a problem with sticking throttle when the rubber boot between the left TB and cylinder head blew part-way off the intake. This moved the TB backwards until the TB connecting rod snagged on the hydraulic adjustment knob for the rear suspension.

• 4 weeks later...

OK fellas I thought I would update this thread...I found the problem.

I had installed the K & N pods on the throttle bodies and thought hey maybe a tighter fit would help if I installed a rubber strip first around the housing to get a more snugger fit.

Well upon removing one of the pods to access the gearshift lever, I saw the problem, the rubber strip had been sucked in and kept the butterfly open ....such a bozo...could have avoided this situation.

Serves me right for trying to improve upon a good thing.

Well, the down side is that you still crashed. The upside (and it's a big one) is that now you know why. You won't have any nagging doubts about what remote series of coincidences might have caused it. Also, you've provided the rest of us a valuable lesson. Thanks for posting-

J

Guest Gary Cheek

Yep , It takes a big person to admit to something that totally asinine, idiotic downright amateurish. A total MORON would never try a bull headed trick like that. To crash is bad enough but to have the whole WORLD find out that you are not fit to install a stinking AIR FILTER! :homer:

The little people know better......than to admit it :blush:

Hope you and the bike recover nicely.