Tach

Gini Fata

The best alternative is to replace it. Do you know why it broke? My tacho on the 1100 kept blowing until I found that all the earths to the front of the bike go through a big lump of badly done soldering into one 16 core earth back to the battery. As the soldering was bad, all the lights were earthing through the tacho and blowing it. Added a new earth and re-soldered the old one (splitting up the earths to the front in the process) and, touch wood, no problems. The lump of solder sits just beside the headstock on the left side of the bike (I'm assuming that the V11 wiring loom is similar to the 1100, as I haven't started ripping the V11's apart yet!!!

The best alternative is to replace it. Do you know why it broke? My tacho on the 1100 kept blowing until I found that all the earths to the front of the bike go through a big lump of badly done soldering into one 16 core earth back to the battery. As the soldering was bad, all the lights were earthing through the tacho and blowing it. Added a new earth and re-soldered the old one (splitting up the earths to the front in the process) and, touch wood, no problems. The lump of solder sits just beside the headstock on the left side of the bike (I'm assuming that the V11 wiring loom is similar to the 1100, as I haven't started ripping the V11's apart yet!!!

Wow. I learn a little every day. However, the ground for the regulator of the Daytona RS, Sport 1100 and Sport 1100i models is the fairing mounting bracket. As the mounting bolts get some corrosion from age the ground return gets bad causing the regulator to see a false ground reference and jacking the output voltage up as a result. Run a good heavy gauge wire from the regulator mounting bolt to the engine or transmission to avoid any problems along that line. I ran additional grounds up to the instruments on my 1100i to cure the crappy ground there bypassing the solder problem entirely. I didn't know where it (the solder lump) was so I'm glad you've found that particular problem area. I suspect though, that you're regulator ground is may also be running through the solder lump at this point and to preclude any further possible problems, you should add the extra ground I've described.

Guest ratchethack

Just wondering what would be the best thing to do to resove my problem. The tach on my 2kv11sport needs to be fixed or replaced. What is the best alternative? Thanks Gini

Gini, based on my considerable experience with the Veglia tach <_< (see link here) http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...ost&p=38505

I'd recommend replacement. From what I understand, Ebay can be a good source.

Good luck!

Gini, based on my considerable experience with the Veglia tach <_ link here href="%7B___base_url___%7D/index.php?s=&showtopic=3309&view=findpost&p=38505">http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...ost&p=38505

I'd recommend replacement. From what I understand, Ebay can be a good source.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. What is a better choice for replacement or am I stuck with another Veglia?

Guest ratchethack

Thanks for the replies. What is a better choice for replacement or am I stuck with another Veglia?

There seems to be a history of infant mortality associated with the Veglia instruments. If you make it past the danger period and take pre-emptive steps to ensure a good ground path as Carl has documented in previous posts, reliability actually isn't too bad, relatively speaking. Others will tell you they're just plain junk -- but then, some of those "others" seem to have regular oral-anal inversion episodes :moon: , and will also tell you that y'er '00 Sport is a speed-wobbling, tank-slapping, demonically posessed accident waiting to happen. . . . . :P Uv will fade the flourescent orange paint on the needle into invisibility (just like the speedo) in direct proportion to the amount of time in the sun. If you don't mind questionable accuracy (are you really depending on y'er RPM readings being spot-on? :huh2: ) ?? I'd put it this way - the quirkiness of the Veglia tach somehow seems to fit the Guzzi. Factoring in the infant mortality, the reliability still doesn't quite. <_<

As I noted at the link, I had a loaner VDO unit to use, which I didn't like at all, because the dial was so much smaller and harder to read. I've had many other bikes with easy to read, evidently dead-accurate, reliable tachs that weren't nearly as "entertaining" as the Veglia. :helmet: IMHO the matching Veglia clocks are easy on the eyes and give the bike that anachronistic, retro-Italian je ne sais quoi. :sun:;)

Sorry, this is all an honest reply, but it probably ain't any help a-tall. . . . :blush:

One of these days I'm going to get back to work on one of the broken ones I have and document it. FWIW, if you look up the post on working on these things (I'm done looking for it, done it too many times trying to be a nice guy, but it's here somewhere) and you break the glass, I had several replacements cut for me and I'll be happy to sock it to you for the whole $2 each faceplate cost me. Mercenary aren't I? I have a bone stock unused tach somewhere too if you can't repair the one you've got. Somewhere. In the shed. In a box. Buried. Deep.

Here's a couple rumours I could throw into the mix. For years Moto Guzzi's sent a separate kilometer guage with their bikes, so the dealer could change the guage to whichever reading the country needed. The other guage went in the garbage. So there may be guages hanging around in kilometer readings around the US.

Also, I recently had a good look at the catalog of Moto Spezial in Germany, Guzzi shop. They had replacement guages for several late model Guzzis of German manufacture.

Ciao, Steve

Guest Gary Cheek

The problem is just as likely to be a broken hairspring contact as anything else. You will also very likely find the "studs" have long ago given up their not so tenacious grip. I take them apart, TIG weld the studs, resolder the broken hairspring and recalibrate the tach. While in there the needle gets flashed with some appropriate flat black paint. The non-fading replacement for the silly sheit Vegitalia uses.

Just in case I have a new one safely stored in the cabinet over the lathe. When the bike goes on the block, the new one goes on the bike. If anyone ever needs one, I never lock the garage door. :)