Electrical Problem

mitch

Hey Folks:

I have a '02 Le Mans Tenni with a slight problem - total darkness when I try to start it.

When I Replace the burned out 15amp fuse, it will fire right up, and it will go a little longer.

However, the fuse will burn up again several starts later when I hit the starter button -and then nothing- total darkness: nothing works, no dash lights, fuel pump, etc.

I have had the grey Bosch relays for some time, and they have help cut out the former issues I was experiencing. But now this.

BTW, several days before this ploblem, I washed the Guzzi.

*UPDATE* - And added the Fast by Farracci Fender eliminator Kit too!

Do I have a shorted starter wire or what? Any thoughts or diagnotic testing procedures would be appreciated!

Mitch, your timing is wonderful.

I have had my Ballabio on the lift since I got back from my wet trip to Erie in early September, and have been (reduced to) riding my EV since because of fractured header pipes. In addition to the originals still at the welder, got a replacement set in from Paul Minneart. Finally pounded those into approximately where there are supposed to be. Even got to use a tool & die set to clean out one of the header-stud holes where the AutoZone M8 bolt "almost" fit. :whistle::luigi:

But, all of that was more of an adventure than I want to remember, especially as I think the adventure continues (thus this post).

Anyway, in a moment of exultation late last night, I stepped (stupidly and unsafely) up on the wheeled mechanic's seat and, without falling as I deserved onto the concrete, thumbed the starter to hear the Ballabio sing a quick aria.

Blang! Pop! Zockie! :o Lost a 15A fuse (I think it's below the starter symbol on the fuse cover). Of course, I tried another with the same predictable result. Repeat blow out. :(

Dejected, I went inside and straight to bed. Then Kathi kicked me out to go wash the grease off. :D

Any ideas from the assembled electrical wizards out there?

Mayhaps a good degeasing of the starter bendix is worth a try?

Others have posted on the internal magnets of the starter coming unglued.

Worth a look I suppose as the starter is easy to pull.

Mayhaps a good degeasing of the starter bendix is worth a try?

Others have posted on the internal magnets of the starter coming unglued.

Worth a look I suppose as the starter is easy to pull.

Okay, thanks, Docc.

Perhaps, those are behind the issues I'm experiencing; thanks.

Mitch

Before panicking and spending money on a problem like this, take all the offending parts to bits and make sure all their internal electrical parts are CLEAN and DRY.

Water was mentioned in both posts and can wreak bloody havoc in the wrong place when mixed with electricity.

Before panicking and spending money on a problem like this, take all the offending parts to bits and make sure all their internal electrical parts are CLEAN and DRY.

Water was mentioned in both posts and can wreak bloody havoc in the wrong place when mixed with electricity.

Thanks; point well-taken.

WHS^ it can also cause a white corrsion which will be semi conductive especailly if moist so the fuse won't go striaght away. Clean the earths and all connections find out what else runs off the start circuit. N.B. the film that WD40 RP7 CRC etc etc leaves behind is not conductive.

WHS^ it can also cause a white corrsion which will be semi conductive especailly if moist so the fuse won't go striaght away. Clean the earths and all connections find out what else runs off the start circuit. N.B. the film that WD40 RP7 CRC etc etc leaves behind is not conductive.

Thanks for te advice, Murray.

Mitch