PCIII and laptop connections

Guest JEB758

Guest JEB758

I bought a Power Commander III for my 2002 Moto Guzzi Scura from K&N for $145 (It has the Quota mapping but I read and asked several people the made is easily changed in the PCIII as long as the plugs fits the ECU for my Scura.).

A DB9 cable came with the PCIII. I have a Gateway Laptop that is only a few months old and the laptop does not have a DB9 port.

When I tried to use a DB9 to DB25 connector (the LP port on my laptop since I wasn't going to utilize my printer) it kept telling me it could not read the find the PCIII. When I went to the Port drop down it only listed Com1 - 4. Even when I checked Auto it still didn't work.

Does this mean I will need a USB to DB9 connector?

I would appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Thanks,

J.Bee

2002 Scura #396

A USB adapter may be the way to go. Certainly worth a try.

Another solution is to do as I did and just get a cheap low buck PII366 laptop off Ebay from Dell Financial services. I got mine for $360 complete with case, power supplies, modem card, the works. Nearly like new condition.

Fits in the tankbag and it's old & cheap enough that I don't mind using it as a garage computer!

The DB-25 printer port on your PC is a parallel port, not serial, which is what the DB-9 is.... so yep, unfortunately that will never work.

However you probably have a USB port or two, those are serial, and all you need to do is go pick up a USB -> DB-9 adapter cable and that should work just fine.

al

Guest mcloutier

My laptop has the same problem. I did as the others suggested and bought a USB->DB9 serial adapter. Worked good, no problems.