V11 Sport engine status? For Greg.

Steve G.

This is a question for Greg Field, which I thought best fielded on the forum, so we could all hope to see possible signs of, and avoid similar problems. A chat with former V11 owner Chris made me aware that his former bike has gone back into your shop to repair the big end bearings, a problem that has cursed this particular bike. Can you give us any details about what might be causing this issue?

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest Gary Cheek

Just curious, Have the oil coller and oil hoses been replaced?

My Scura went through a few NEW engines before I bought it. They were all new from the factory,complete engines replaced under warranty. Guzzi gave up and bought the bike back, I bought the bike from Guzzi. I rebuilt the bad engine . I also draoned the oil cooler and lines through a strainer. The metallic silty sludge was amazing . Rather than chance still another engine I replaced those parts. The bike has many, many miles from it's two subsequent owners and is running great.

replacing those parts may be good insurance.

Guest Gary Cheek

Gary:

Knowing of your experience, I had the techs flush the oil cooler and lines while looking for schrapnel. They didn't find any.

I am normally quite frugal but when it comes to failed bearings... :unsure: ..

Also I'm certain that you clean the T'stat and the releif valve etc. I only mention it for the benefit of other readers.

I am normally quite frugal but when it comes to failed bearings... :unsure: ..

Also I'm certain that you clean the T'stat and the releif valve etc. I only mention it for the benefit of other readers.

I'll mention it to the tech in case they did not think of it on their own.

Just curious, Have the oil coller and oil hoses been replaced?

My Scura went through a few NEW engines before I bought it. They were all new from the factory,complete engines replaced under warranty. Guzzi gave up and bought the bike back, I bought the bike from Guzzi. I rebuilt the bad engine . I also draoned the oil cooler and lines through a strainer. The metallic silty sludge was amazing . Rather than chance still another engine I replaced those parts. The bike has many, many miles from it's two subsequent owners and is running great.

replacing those parts may be good insurance.

Gary,Did you replace cooler and hoses with stock Guzzi parts?Inquiring Scura owner wants to know.

Thanks,

MZ

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gary Cheek

Gary,Did you replace cooler and hoses with stock Guzzi parts?Inquiring Scura owner wants to know.

Thanks,

MZ

Sorry , I only now saw your question!

Yes, I used all factory parrts. Since I thought at the start I may not have the machine long I wanted to maintain the originality. The OEM parts are as good as any from what I have seen.

I am not sure if there is any connection or if it is just a perception of mine but it seems many cooler equipped versions of otherwise reliable designs have an inordinate rate of lubrication related failures.

The second engine on my Scura was from crap in the oil. I would like to see the original engine. An MGNA ep in Georgia who I will not name told me 2 years ago the engine was still there. I am very curious what caused engine #1 to expire a couple thousand miles from new. It still had the original filter and no doubt had it been loose they would have known. The engine #2 filter was indeed tight, and LOADED with swarffie, as was the oil cooler.

So far engine #3 is a real sweetheart. My buddy Mike rides a considerable mileage most every day. The Scura has replaced his Ducai 900SS as an all- time favorite bike.

I don't think there is any specific issue with the oil cooler models except maybe sloppy clean up at the factory. My 97 Sport 1100i has 58,000 miles on it and I've never seen any remarkable in the oil.

Guest Gary Cheek

I really doubt any correlation. It just seems that out of a few given machines with and without coolers the cooler equipped versions seem to actually have more failures than the non equipped. I was considering the possibility of condensate in the cooler pulling solid contaminates from the oil stream that later migrate, en-masse to areas better served without them.

Are air pockets forming and making little embolisms that cause momentary metal to metal contact?

Just a little food for shallow thought. :huh2: