tom tom rider

grossohc

Hi

I am thinking of getting a tom tom rider (well it will be from the wife for xmas , she just doesnt know it yet)as the prices are dropping all the time, my question is has anybody here used one, is the mounting kit any good and is it affected by vibration i.e. shaky screen, have read a couple of good reports on the net but would like some opinions that i can trust :o

Thanks

Gary

Hi

I am thinking of getting a tom tom rider (well it will be from the wife for xmas , she just doesnt know it yet)as the prices are dropping all the time, my question is has anybody here used one, is the mounting kit any good and is it affected by vibration i.e. shaky screen, have read a couple of good reports on the net but would like some opinions that i can trust :o

Thanks

Gary

Only thing I know is that TomTom's after sales service is patchy. If you go on the net you will find good product reviews interspersed with major anger and frustration from the (admittedly few) customers who have had problems.

I am waiting for the new Garmin bike unit.

• 3 weeks later...

Just checked the garmin website and the garmin zumo 550 for bikes has come out in the uk, maybe take a while for prices to come down (decisions, decisions). The advantages for this unit is it comes with a car mount with built in speaker. :bike:

Just checked the garmin website and the garmin zumo 550 for bikes has come out in the uk, maybe take a while for prices to come down (decisions, decisions). The advantages for this unit is it comes with a car mount with built in speaker. :bike:

I'm planning to get one after Xmas when the discounting starts.

Hi

Thanks

Gary

My father has one and absolutely loves it - it helps with the senility!! It's really good round town, but for open roads around England there isn't much point for sat nav. He also likes the fact that you can also plumb it into your car as well...... The user interface is really good too. I would get one if I was doing much town work.

I'm still undecided. I will remain a map and scrappy bits of paper until the price plummets they're just too much for me. There are other priorities. But this weekend there have been a couple of stories in the news- this one is typical

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...amp;expand=true

It's the same as all computer stuff - calculators upwards, you have to know what the expected result is or you won't know when it goes wrong or you input wrong data.

Some times the machine messes up mostly it just does what you tell it.

The ambulance guys should be given a break. It sounds to me like they were new on the job, and had probably never been to that mental hospital before. If that's true and no one told them "It's only 12-13 miles away" how could they know the GPS was so totally wrong? :huh2:

I've not read any convincing reviews for the TomTom Rider. What I've read says the power button is unforgivably hard to operate, touch screen buttons are sometimes really difficult with gloves on, and it has some love affair with interstates, ignoring quicker and more direct alternatives. Combined with reportedly disinterested customer support, it's most definitely off my list. The Garmin Zumo (while hideously expensive) seems much better. ^_^

Besides, do you really want to support those annoying television adverts for the TomTom? :vomit:

The ambulance crew were stupid in that instance, driving 200 miles instead of 12 :huh2: . these systems are only as good as the info put in. I am still going to get the tomtom rider as its quite cheap. The garmin wont probably come down on price much for a while being so new, I used a garmin system in florida with our hire car and was impressed, it took us everywhere, never once getting us lost, it may have not been the quickest route but unless your local you wouldnt know. :thumbsup:

Gary

Only thing I know is that TomTom's after sales service is patchy. If you go on the net you will find good product reviews interspersed with major anger and frustration from the (admittedly few) customers who have had problems.

Sound's like a certain Italian Motorcycle company we all know.

Hi I've just bought a Garmin Street Pilot 2610, they have been discontinued in favour of the 2620, (only difference is 2620 has an internal battery), they where £500 but I paid £170 with VAT, from a website in the Uk. There where a couple of sites selling for aroundabout the same price if they still have any left.

StreetPilot 2610 £187.99

Inc. VAT. Official Garmin dealer. In stock now - next day delivery!

www.thenavigationcompany.com

Cheers gary

A $2 map in the clear top pocket of my tank bag has never let me down. :thumbsup:

If I ever get too old to use a map, shoot me- I'm done.

Rj

I used to say the same thing. Still would too, except that twice this year I've made wrong turns when my sense of direction went awry. So I'm going to "upgrade" that clear top pocket with a cheap compass. Now all I'll have to do is find a good way to keep the damn map from slipping back and turning all of the time.

Guest bshpilot

Carl Hi.

While youre in town friday go to the nearest FRY's (electronics)...

theyll have most of the popular gps's....and some that youve never

heard of.

I know they have the tomtoms and quite a number of the garmins.

the 'sugar land' store on i59 south is probably the closest to where youll

be...otherwise theres one or 2 on i45 heading north outta houston.

FRY's STORE LOCATION

also the BASS PRO shop in Katy has lots of GPS's (and is even closer to

where youll be ;)

i suspect you CAN find cheaper online but at least these stores would allow you

to touch & play w/ alot of the different units in one stop.