1. 1. Exhaust upgrade '02 LeMans w/PC3

• Mistral Pipes/Mistral Crossover no new airbox
    • Mistral Pipes/Stucchi Crossover no new airbox
    • some other pipes
    • some other crossover
    • K&N air box
    • other airbox

Guest dkgross

ok..my buddies Duc with Ferrachi pipes is stunning. I want my LeMans to sound like THAT.

I've already got a PCIII w/stock map installed, so I'll need a new map. duh.

but...the airbox question....

I like the look of the Mistral Ovals with the dark carbon fiber. But..which ones?

Please help me spend my $.

B)

I have a friend in MD who got two Thrush steel glass pack mufflers from a K-Mart or something and put them on his Sport 1100. He liked them so much for sound & power he then sent them off for silver hi temp coating at Jett Hot!

A bit heavy, but the sound is outstanding. Deep & resonant and crisp.

Very economical too! B)

It sure is!

I'd know Howard's bike and rack combo anywhere! I machined for him the alloy spacers in the pipe mounts and roughed in some .5" alloy plate that he later finished into a new brake lever.

He has racked up some very respectable mileage numbers on that bike!

sport bike option:

Gallasseti mufflers

Stucchi crossover

Budget bike option:

cored stock crossover and drilled mufflers

Touring bike option:

not sure, maybe just the Stucchi crossover, but

if you could find some low reverse megaphone mufflers...

The ULTIMATE option:

Quat-D (from Ghezzi and Brian)

Any of these options with Ram Air

looking for hand outs???

Sorry, spent my tax return on my bike. :P

You sound like you've already decided which mufflers you like- and the Mistrals DO sound good. Do some airbox mods too- the combo of the Mistral exhaust and the intake note are just wonderful. I'd recommend doing an airbox mod- if you want to go to pods later, it would still be an available option.

Cheers,

Jason

Guest dkgross

yeah..from what I've heard, the Mistrals sound AND look the best to me. One of the things I love about the stock LeMans cans is the oval/black look...but the carbon fiber Mistrals will match my new seat :)

I need to do a little more research on the airbox stuff. The guys at Moto International seem to like the Stucchi X-Over as well.

not asking for a handout, btw...Just don't want to spend my money foolishly, and I love all the advice and opinions on this board. It's been invaluable. And not snobby.

:notworthy:

Guest JohnInNH

Dave,

I have the Mistral CF Ovals... and the Stucchi x-Pipe I like it, but it is somewhat loud. Nice throaty sound. I have a PC-III as it runs much different with the pipes.

To bad there is not a R version of the Powercommander for us.

BTW, here's the reply from Dyno(www.powercommander.com) that I just received:

Al,

while we appreciate you interest, the economics of it just do not add

up. Even if every body that purchased a Power Commander for the Guzzi's

went out and bought a new PCIIIr it would not cover the development

time. To make a new model worth building we need to sell several

hundred

units. We just do not see the market for it. The only reason there are

some of the more obscure Guzzi units available is because GuzziTech is

willing to buy them in large quantities.

Who knows, something may change in the future. Keep checking back at

the

web site.

Regards,

Michael Belcher

Director of Fuel Injection Development

michaelb@dynojet.com

...is it just me, or did this sound a bit "brusque" to you too? :huh:

Ah well, maybe he was just in a hurry. :rolleyes:

Anyway, no "R" version on the horizon it seems, as Todd had mentioned to me in the past.

Still send those emails though if you are so inclined. If there ever is to be an "R" version, and a "who knows" scenario, I'm sure that will have to be the catalyst... a grass-roots desire.

al

I would imagine that the Ducati's that use the 1.5M computer function very similairly to the Guzzi's. I have trouble believing that much development time would be needed. The message sounded like a "stop bothering about obscure bikes" type response.

Guest JohnInNH
I would imagine that the Ducati's that use the 1.5M computer function very similairly to the Guzzi's. I have trouble believing that much development time would be needed. The message sounded like a "stop bothering about obscure bikes" type response.

I agree.... What's with thinking only a few guzzi's will be using em. How many 1.5M's are out there? Flawed logic.

Narrow minded thinking. Even if they lost let's say $5,000 it would more than offset the gains in advertising. One happy Power commander owner is worth a LOT. How many Power Commanders has JUST Todd sold?

They really don't give a crap cuz they have a zillion HD's that will be getting em. And HD owners will spent $100 for a cigarette lighter as long as it is COOL and has a HD logo on it. They have $$ to burn. We Guzzi folk have a rep of being cheap bastards.

But insulting the Italian motorcycle enthusiast market is foolish. The mystique and the following is a lot larger than they think.

Their loss. Maybe they can't keep up with the market and they really don't want to grow. They could be managing their growth, and restricting it. Who knows. Growing to fast can be bad too.

I don't buy the cost to develop it. If the people are on salary and you are not farming out the work where is the cost? Attaching overhead hour labor cost to a project is BS funny money. If you did not use the hours it's lost capacity. I bet I could "find" the time for the project in their company, but they could not afford my consulting fee. :blush:

Loosing some funny money to get real money is good, and even better is growing your customer base. In addition having a reputation of helping and working with ALL your customers is something most companies are dying for.

Buy why would you expect a company which supports/allows a "HD only policy" to really give a crap?

We are lucky we have what we do! :bike:

Good thoughts, my suggestion? Write a letter(well an email) directly to Mr. Belcher.

His email again:

Michael Belcher

Director of Fuel Injection Development

michaelb@dynojet.com

...even if you don't want or need an "R" version, I think it would be very interesting for him to see the level of interest. For every email received, that potentially represents several 10's of people that would buy one, but don't because it's not available and never thought to contact PC directly.

al

• 1 month later...
Guest dkgross

anyone want to clarify why the Stucci xover is better/different than the Mistral X-over? Pretty sure I'm going with the Mistral 'basso' CF Ovals.

(the PowerCommander website has a map already for the Mistral/Mistral/stock airbox combo), and since the nearest 'Authorized Tuning Center" to Seattle is in Southern California....

:)