Let's talk... Cold Starting !

Crooz

As I'm new to my 2002 LeMans and winter is approaching....I was wondering what everybody's common practice was for cranking a cold V11's? :luigi:

I have found my throttle advance to be pretty much useless, even when warm. I have tinkered with it, even changed the spring on the end of the cable. I can't get it to advance the throttle more than like 1/8", nor can I get it to remain fully engaged (it always returns itself partially).

If it were to wrok properly and advance the throttle more, would you guys use it on the initial cold start before turning the ignition key?

My LeMans seems to be a bear to get cold started, often requiring like 6 attempts before it fires.

Looking for thoughts and advice. :luigi:

Guest ratchethack

Crooz, Skeeve discovered a Most Masterful Thing: Switch out the seat latch return spring with the throttle advance return spring. You can wind 'em both off and back on without dismantling anything. The switcheroo makes 'em BOTH work the way they're supposed to. :thumbsup: You should be able to get y'er LM to fire within 3 seconds of cranking -- first try. But y'er gonna hafta use more throttle advance than the lever provides by opening the throttle with the twist-grip while cranking. I only use the throttle advance as a "warm up" position once she fires up. It's not designed to do more than this. You shouldn't ever need more than about 3 sec of cranking to start, 4 sec max. If so, you've got other problems - plugs, etc. -_-

Guest Gary Cheek

Crooz, Skeeve discovered a Most Masterful Thing: Switch out the seat latch return spring with the throttle advance return spring. You can wind 'em both off and back on without dismantling anything. The switcheroo makes 'em BOTH work the way they're supposed to. :thumbsup: You should be able to get y'er LM to fire within 3 seconds of cranking -- first try. But y'er gonna hafta use more throttle advance than the lever provides by opening the throttle with the twist-grip while cranking. I only use the throttle advance as a "warm up" position once she fires up. It's not designed to do more than this. You shouldn't ever need more than about 3 sec of cranking to start, 4 sec max. If so, you've got other problems - plugs, etc. -_-

Not only does the guy know how to start his bike, he knows filters too! :notworthy:

If you store your V11 inside then roll it out to start it, give the sensors a couple minutes to adapt to ambient temperatures.

The fast idle is a bit finicky to adjust but will boost the idle , say, 600-800 rpm.

I find that gradually rolling the throttle while engaging the starter will fire the beast after 4-5 revolutions.

Is that lever next to the left handgrip a choke or fast idle? It doesn't seem to do much. Thanks, Joe

If you watch real close when you flip the lever, you can see your throttle plate move a hair's width or two...

fast idle. worthless for starting, handy to keep her running while she warms up.

Guest Mattress

Yo Ypo Yo boobies..love em.....ratshet.... im a littile high right noe but Ill make yuo a deal..if you cn help ne set yo nt suspension even if it makes me by a new spering ill gladly give u my spare head guard from my life afirming lowside I never felt so alive ecept when i crashed outside of mgnoc iowa!!!!!!!!!!!!

amwricans are ok; we just be a tidbit ignorant^9 degree. imiss austraila & brisbane } Stu , im so glad to hear back from you/ my new scrreen saver i s th e mcdonalds!!!! miss vb dearly. sorry dude, xxxx had spiders in the mix3333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 i pressed the number3 forever. ut qAS COOL you is stnd

just woke up in front of my keyboard. SHIT, I GOTA WORK AGAIN??? MAN FU*!!!!!! Shit man, man just abide

r a c t h e r t ................one must abide to AC/DC!!!!!!!!!

Micjhiganmders&&&&&&((I**^Y%

Guest Mattress

sorry dudes. that dude is so uncool. want to buy an 850 t4

sorry dudes. that dude is so uncool. want to buy an 850 t4

need advice..... has anyone picked up before at guzzi rally? Sorry feeling clucky.................

I can only hazard a guess space cruisers: jetley that carbi is flat!!!!! RUT ROU!!!

frane rocks!

Some strange comments. The fast idle does what it's supposed to do. My fast idle will take it all the way up to racing speed. Red line – as I remember.

If you're only getting a minute little movement /difference in revs – that can't be right?

I've always found that it starts ok even in cold weather. Wind the throttle a little, or set the fast idle, and fire it up. Docc's comment about bike stored inside and then started outside is interesting. Maybe that does cause some sensory confusion for the beast. Mine lives outside.

There have been stark differences of opinion here as to whether the engine should be left to rev as a bit of a warm-up, or started and driven-off immediately. So there's no unanimous view.

I have found my throttle advance to be pretty much useless, even when warm.

My throttle advance didn't seem to work when I bought my bike last April. Once I looked it over I realized the cable was broken. :homer: Installed and adjusted a new cable and all is well.

Have you looked at the cable where it attaches to the advance cam on the right side throttle body? Check it to see if it's moving the cam properly.

The fast idle cam can be adjusted too close to the throttle and affect the idle. It is also notable that there are two adjustments for the mechanism. First, the cable is drawn through and anchored, then the cam is rotated toward the throttle stop and tightened.

I like to leave a little tolerance between in order to avoid fouling the idle. This limits the fast idle to about 1800 rpm.

I often ride off and let the motor warm up gently. I treat it like a break in period on every start up keeping the revs below 5000 for 5-10 miles.