PCIII and weather/water resistance

Since many of us use the LeMans as a long distance all-weather ST bike, and have also added the PCIII.... has anyone had any issues with water, dust, etc.. adversely affecting the unit?

I've got a tool kit and some other gizmos under my seat and in my tail, so the PCIII has to get mounted somewhere else, and just about everywhere else is susceptible to water under extreme conditions. Looking at the package, I'm not sure it can take getting too wet, but then again, it does seem to be designed with some environmental protection(i.e. sealed, gaskets, etc) in mind.... so I dunno.

Anyway, I was thinking about mounting it to the frame inside the rear carapace. It should stay dry there, but you just never know with tire thrown spray... and then there's the exposed DB-9 port....

...any concerns? Or is the PCIII fairly "weather bullet-proof"?

al

Guest Le Man

Al,

I had a power commander on my Honda CBR929 as well as a modified tailpiece and exhaust that left not a dry spot on the bike. The PC never missed a beat no matter how wet it got (may have been luck but I think it is WX tight.

Hey! Guess what happened? My Tailblazer died after a few days! I put the stack bulb back in and will try and warranty the Tailblazer but I trimmed the heat sink and may not have any satisfaction..too bad I liked it.

Mike

Todd Egan has told me the PCIII is fully waterproof, but the serial port can corrode if water sits in it for a while. So I bagged mine, taped it tight to the cord and tucked it away in the tail piece. If I ever need to access it, I'll un-tape and un-bag it!

Guest JohnInNH

I had thought about the plastic bag trick, but the idea of condensation and trapped moisture got me thinking maybe it was not the best idea. It gets humid here. Then at night it gets cold and presto water droplets on the inside of the bag.

What I decided to do is wrap the unit in 2 shop rags. First the rags are wicked handy, second they keep the unit protected from vibration and from rubbing, and thirdly keep it in place very well smushed into the very back of the tail section.

If I get caught in the rain and it gets wet I just unwrap it and re wrap it with a dry set. After a 2 hour ride in the rain the outer rag was damp only.

I like thinking it can breath and not get condensation buildup.

The outer rag is used every now and again when the primary large rag is used up so to speak. (helping broken down HD's by the side of the road) :rolleyes: