Front Fender Bodgery

Greg Field

We've been having wrath-of-God (maybe wrath-of-Gary?) rains and flooding here in Seattle lately—something more than an inch a day average over the 13 days so far. Even the slugs are crying, "Enough!"

Riding through this has sure revealed the limitations of the stock front fender. For one, it leaves those expensive Ohlins sliders fully exposed to all the grit and crap, as shown below:

PICT0022-2.jpg

For two, it's so truncated at the rear that it allows the tire to sling spray all over the front of the bike and even up onto me when it's really pouring. Then, the damn thing started to crack, so I got a new fender from an Aprilia Mille because the Mille's fender design offers much more protection to the sliders, as shown below:

PICT0018-5.jpg

PICT0019-3.jpg

It bolts right up and actualy is pretty effective in reducing the sandblasting those sliders were getting. Unfortunately, it's even more bobbed in the rear than the Guzzi fender.

PICT0006-6.jpg

Here's how ineffective it is, showing the leaves and shite thrown up over the oil cooler after one short ride in the rain.

PICT0007-7.jpg

What the pic doesn't show is how much spray it threw all over me and up under the instrument and into a lot of electrical connections. I'm really glad it protects the forks, but I'm the one paying the bills, so I deserve some protection, too. Time to bodge . . .

So, I took the old cracked fender and did some measuring to see if I could use it to fashion an acceptable looking extender for the abysmal Aprilia fender. The measurements showed it could work, so I got out the Marks-A-Lot pen and started drawing lines.

PICT0010-4.jpg

Then I got out the hacksaw and started cutting. The hacksaw goes through that carbon like the cliched hot knife through warm butter. (Sorry for the clutter on the bench; I like chaos.)

PICT0002-11.jpg

And, it leaves a cleanish edge that requires very little file work to clean up.

PICT0005-5.jpg

Then, I lapped the extender under the fender, alligned it, drilled five holes, bolted it together with tiny stainless buttonheads, and installed it on the bike.

PICT0021-6.jpg

There's what it looks like: Not seamless, but not horrifically ugly either.

PICT0011-3.jpg

Sure works well, too. A ride in the third wave of downpours today revealed that direct spray off the wheel reaches no higher on the machine than the sump. The rain's supposed to let up tomorrow and then be back with a vengeance on Wednesday. Billy Bob's as ready as I can make it for this next round . . .

How soon can you get production up to 25 to 30 a week!

That looks great! I have been considering something similar with a couple of Ducati fenders I have kicking around but I doubt it would ever look as slick as that!

Bloody rain is getting to me too but at least I have a chance to try my new waterproof boots!

Can't wait for the next series

to see what's on the table.

Last time it was home-made whiskey.

This time it's a tin of hemorrhoid ointment.

Next time?

I'd like to see a knitting pattern.

What a timely (for me) project you've taken up. As my Scura is currently off-line and I also put a Mille fender on my bike for the added Ohlins protection (though I opted for the plastic not carbon fiber one)

I was looking at the fender and all the muck on the front of my motor trying to think of a cheap extension I could make, it didn't even occur to my to use my stock fender. Thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:

johnk

Those would be the 'x-it' mints

mint-energy-frit_copy.JPG

(sorry, back to the original subject now)

Not quite 8-)

Excellent work, Greg. One of my major gripes with modern bike design is the shitty, useless excuses for mudguarding. Not only do they fail to prevent road filth contamionating the machine, they irritate the Hell out of other road users. BTW, that's no mint tin, it's a camera case.

OptioS_AltoidTin.jpg

Hey, Slugster:

Some folks have expressed interest in and extended fender. Maybe you'll be expanding your CF empire by making a mold and going into production?

Hmm, the thought crossed my mind after seeing your work :) I'll think about it...

Do a search for "fenda extenda". This has come up before. I did this awhile back...couple years ago, I guess. They work great, and this mod really does help keep the front of the engine cleaner. I do have to admit- yours looks like a nicer job- :thumbsup:

These pics were taken as I was installing it- I've cleaned up the edges a bit more now....yours still is nicer.

For the fork tubes, one cheap fix that I've seen is to cut a rectangle ~2 X 3" out of a 2 L coke bottle (or whatever soda you drink). Tape or otherwise affix it to the front side of the fork sliders and it protects the tubes. Use a clear bottle and no-one can see it.

fenda.jpg

fenda2.jpg