guzzi crash

Guest kjh

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi folks,

Many thanks for all the kind comments. Some have contacted after various bits of the bike, sadly it is in the domain of the insurance company and classed as a total loss. Though I love restoring bikes, it is beyond economical repair, even the gearbox casing is holed and cracked. Still haven't lost my love of bikes and look forward to a Guzzi in the future, a cruiser, due to severe restrictions in Knee bend. Still have bone grafting operation to come and yes the nurses are very pretty :)

Keith

Hi folks,

Many thanks for all the kind comments. Some have contacted after various bits of the bike, sadly it is in the domain of the insurance company and classed as a total loss. Though I love restoring bikes, it is beyond economical repair, even the gearbox casing is holed and cracked. Still haven't lost my love of bikes and look forward to a Guzzi in the future, a cruiser, due to severe restrictions in Knee bend. Still have bone grafting operation to come and yes the nurses are very pretty :)

Keith

May I ask what level of protective gear you were wearing when your accident occured? I've heard another member say that his kneecap was crushed in an accident & he wasnt wearing the armored pants. The shoulders hips & knees seem to be what take the brunt of the damage in accidents. If you can say what/if you were wearing protection & did it prevent worse injury I'm curious to know. I dont always wear all the gear all the time like I should, but hearing others stories usually inspires me to wear most of the gear most of the time. I wear all the gear all the time when the weathers below 50 degrees lol

May I ask what level of protective gear you were wearing when your accident occured? I've heard another member say that his kneecap was crushed in an accident & he wasnt wearing the armored pants. The shoulders hips & knees seem to be what take the brunt of the damage in accidents. If you can say what/if you were wearing protection & did it prevent worse injury I'm curious to know. I dont always wear all the gear all the time like I should, but hearing others stories usually inspires me to wear most of the gear most of the time. I wear all the gear all the time when the weathers below 50 degrees lol

Hi Richard,

Was wearing protective armour, but it has its limits especially when a huge lorry wheel hits it at a combined speed of over 100mph, it smashed my knee into 3 parts, now held together by 6 huge screws, see x-ray, it also made mince meat of my thigh bone; it did a proper job on my arm as well. Have to say that were the wheel didn't hit me the armoured gear did a great job.

Keith

post-2428-1164389371_thumb.jpg

Hi Richard,

Was wearing protective armour, but it has its limits especially when a huge lorry wheel hits it at a combined speed of over 100mph, it smashed my knee into 3 parts, now held together by 6 huge screws, see x-ray, it also made mince meat of my thigh bone; it did a proper job on my arm as well. Have to say that were the wheel didn't hit me the armoured gear did a great job.

Keith

That looks like a pretty bad injury :doh: Thats what I was wondering how well the kevlar armor protects in an impact. From the description of your accident you're lucky to still have a leg at all! Well I hope you heal up properly & are able walk again without too much pain. Is a lorry wheel a tractor trailer wheel?

I've heard another member say that his kneecap was crushed in an accident & he wasnt wearing the armored pants.

That was me :) . All the gear did the job quite nicely - boots were destroyed, foot was black all over but no major damage. Gloves destroyed, serious bruising on hands but no major damage. Helmet rashed but noggin fine, Armour in jacket worked perfectly - no upper body damage at all (leather toasted). Dislocated hip (healed fine) and the shattered kneecap which will never heal. This was a 30mph lowside in a surprise reducing radius corner. If I'd had my pants on instead of jeans both knee and hip would have been fine too.

The good news just recently is that they can now make a custom kneecap right there in the operating room and install it. Bad news is I won't be getting one anytime soon unless I sell everything I own and go have it done in the States.

Nasty bit of luck Keith. Hope you're getting the good drugs!

Rj

Jeez, that's bad news, sorry to hear it, and get well soon. @#!#$# all use saying it, but I suppose it could have been worse. I might give you a private shout about some of your bits and pieces.

cheers.

I found this story on a helicopter forum (lots of bikers that fly and flyers that bike) but it is appropriate to this thread. The story is of a passenger on a bike who wasn't wearing protective gear and has endured over a year of painful healing. I suggest it is well worth reading for all and for your spouses even more so!

Warning. The story and pictures are very graphic.

Extreme Roadrash: Cause, Effect, and Lesson Learned

image3.jpg

Guest bshpilot

man i could BE those xrays....sorry to hear 'bout your accident

but at the same time things could be much worse...its hard to

remind ourselves of that sometimes...hell most of the time when weve

broken parts & motorcycles ;)

youll ride again, if you want to...i had vertical fractures at the base

of my knee...in the top of the tib/fib and all KINDS of screaded ligament

damage...but you, like i, will recover...hang in there and dont push it...

these things heal in their own time.

welcome to the titanium screw & plate club ;)...you got 4 more than i do...

man i could BE those xrays....sorry to hear 'bout your accident

but at the same time things could be much worse...its hard to

remind ourselves of that sometimes...hell most of the time when weve

broken parts & motorcycles ;)

youll ride again, if you want to...i had vertical fractures at the base

of my knee...in the top of the tib/fib and all KINDS of screaded ligament

damage...but you, like i, will recover...hang in there and dont push it...

these things heal in their own time.

welcome to the titanium screw & plate club ;)...you got 4 more than i do...

I'll ride again allright, have a ducati mk1 superlight in the garage raring to go, but theres no way I'll reach the footrests :( Quack says about 7 months from the accident before I can walk again, what is it with us humans, ever notice how animals have major surgery and are jumping about the next day as if nothing happened. Anyway won't be pushing things, especially as the nurses are so pretty :)

Richard, can't remember the accident, no bad thing! but was told it was a large trailer wheel of some rig, police had to get a crane in to lift it. Heres another x-ray of my arm, starting to get more like the terminator :)

post-2428-1164707071_thumb.jpg