New to Guzzi...help me please

NorBSATriGuzzi

I just picked up a'00 V11! It is dead stock...I need pipes and a fender eliminator kit ASAP. I have searched the FAQ and got some info but what is everyones opinion on Carbon Fiber Pipes and where to get them and the best fender elim kit?

Thanks in advance...I am excited about my new purchase!!! :bier:

WELCOME Mate!!

from your name l take it you have a Brit bike background, ....if you liked them you're gonna love your goose! :mg:

l've got an '02 V11 LeMans, stock save for the Mistral Carbonfibre cans and a cross-over.

for me, the bike absolutly :race: rocks. The Mistrals are an easy bolt on, save a ton of weight and sound right :thumbsup:

:bier:

Chers

Van

My opinion on carbon fiber pipes are to get aluminum ones. The carbon fiber fades with UV exposure, and the weight savings on a guzzi is like one feather on a goose. I have round mistral cans, and I like them. I think the ovals look better, though. :2c:

Consider getting a Stucchi crossover- I found that to be a very effective mod.

I don't know if Edge is still selling "edge guards" (do a search), but they are a nice addition to any fender eliminator. FBF and maybe rossopuro sell eliminators. FWIW, I bobbed my own fender- it was cheap and easy. FWIW #2, if you eliminate the fender, the rear wheel will throw crap up on your back, because it sticks out ever so slightly behind the tail section.

As far as getting said pieces, you might call MPH cycles (a site sponsor) or Moto International or, since you are in the midwest, Ned's Auto and Cycle in Riverside, IA (my local dealer). All are excellent.

Funny about the sound. We had a half dozen Guzzis at the South'n Spine Raid last summer, all with different pipes. They all sound a little different.

I like the sound of the cf cans. Deeper, maybe. Less 'ring' than the metal. Ovals, I think, sound better than rounds. But they all sound great. And it could have been the single malt listening . . . :drink:

Fast By Ferracci makes both a sweet looking eliminater kit, and oval CF cans. Mistral might have a little better build quality but I think my FBF's are just fine. Otherwise M4's are about tops for CF, Or so I've heard. FBF also makes a stucci crossover clone which is slightly cheaper and works like a charm, smooths out the flat spots. and get a PCIII and a tune.

otherwise try and find the Guzzi Ti race kit, and yeah good luck with that. :huh2:

Everybody has a different preference as far as cans go. I really like both the sound (deep and throaty no tinniness at all) and look of my Mistral round aluminums. I've had a few Duc guys pull up at a light and tell me my bike is the best sounding thing they've ever heard.

Everyone here will agree on the Stucci crossover - it nearly eliminates the "stumble" around 4500 rpm. Excellent mod.

I'm with Jason on bobbing the fender. Use a hacksaw to cut along the "line" behind the plate (you'll see it when you look). Looks much better and still retains protection from the "skunk stripe" down your back. Doesn't hurt that it's a free mod...

cheers!

Rj

I'm in Iowa City, but not for much longer- we're moving to St. Louis at the end of the month ( :wacko: )

If you have time, drive over on some Monday evening (6-8pm) and visit Jim (the proprieter) and the other Guzzi enthusiasts at Ned's in Riverside, IA (Riverside is about 10 miles south of I.C.).

Free sody-pop and popcorn and a good time is had by all. It's pretty well attended when the weather is good, and there's always two or three people there even in winter.

Shoot me an email off list and I'll send you contact info.

Jason

Guest MGDanDiego

Welcome to the family. You'll now know what it is to have something alive underneath you. I own a 03 LeMans and when I bought it (slightly used) it came with a few mods. Stucci Crossover and PCIII and two of the best sounding pipes i have heard. No other bike has come close to sounding as good. The pipes were FBF Carbons. thats fast by feracci. (spelling italian is not always correct) I wanted a more stock look so I put the original pipes back on. the wife liked the foot-rest. on the stock pipes.

Go with the PCIII, FBF, and Stucci Crossover.

I sold the carbons to Ratchethack and he put them on his 00 v11 and loves them. Funny thing, though, they sounded better on my bike. Don't know exactly why.

Good luck.

another thought, since you want to eliminate your tail section, why not eliminate your cans aswell, just buy a Ghezzi-Brian exhaust box and you wont need a crossover or two muffs. here is the site

http://www.ghezzi-brian.com/tuning_MG.pdf

the box may be enough sound but you'll get a cleaner look if that's what you want.

I love sound so I am going to go back to FBF Carbons soon.

PS two other mods.... change the Airfilter to a K&N and there is a hose that comes of both throttle boddies and connect some where under the tank. cap those off or plug them like most of us V11 guys have done.

in the meantime, just drill 8 holes into the end of each pipe and cut off the nipples. do this to the inside of the can not the cap at the end. PM Ratchethack and he'll give you the pointers with dimensions. Good Luck

Welcome to the family. You'll now know what it is to have something alive underneath you. I own a 03 LeMans and when I bought it (slightly used) it came with a few mods. Stucci Crossover and PCIII and two of the best sounding pipes i have heard. No other bike has come close to sounding as good. The pipes were FBF Carbons. thats fast by feracci. (spelling italian is not always correct) I wanted a more stock look so I put the original pipes back on. the wife liked the foot-rest. on the stock pipes.

Go with the PCIII, FBF, and Stucci Crossover.

I sold the carbons to Ratchethack and he put them on his 00 v11 and loves them. Funny thing, though, they sounded better on my bike. Don't know exactly why.

Good luck.

another thought, since you want to eliminate your tail section, why not eliminate your cans aswell, just buy a Ghezzi-Brian exhaust box and you wont need a crossover or two muffs. here is the site

http://www.ghezzi-brian.com/tuning_MG.pdf

the box may be enough sound but you'll get a cleaner look if that's what you want.

I love sound so I am going to go back to FBF Carbons soon.

PS two other mods.... change the Airfilter to a K&N and there is a hose that comes of both throttle boddies and connect some where under the tank. cap those off or plug them like most of us V11 guys have done.

in the meantime, just drill 8 holes into the end of each pipe and cut off the nipples. do this to the inside of the can not the cap at the end. PM Ratchethack and he'll give you the pointers with dimensions. Good Luck

Thanks! So, how illegal are those race exhausts???? Oh and how pricey!?

Good info. Thanks again!

I'll pay....hmmm...$100? :P

I may look into them...just to be different!

drilling your cans will cost you the $20 for the drill bit and a few hours of your time, make sure to get a good and long drill bit, and a strong drill those cans are like tanks. I think they would outlast the bike. I had my drilled cans next to a set of MG ti's and the guy kinda liked my drilled cans better, they had a louder more pungent sound to them, the Ti's were deeper and smoother tho. Depends on what kind of note youre looking for I guess. I changed to FBF carbons when my bike got backed over in a chipotle parking lot, his insurance money bought many tricky bits. :grin: