$4000 for a Tenni.....

not_scooter_Scura!

Hi Mike, Congradulations on winning the Tenni, I set my alarm for 3AM to bid on it! " Discmarine" I saw it about a year before when it was listed by another seller and did not bid on it, before that it was listed for awhile but pulled off the market for some reason. Like you I think it was a great deal expecially if you weren't planning on turning it anytime soon. It was obvious it had light damage and would be a great daily rider, at least since it had a salvage title you don't have to worry about keeping it prestine, with no miles like I see so many doing. Take care and good luck

Here is the true story behind the $4600 Tenni, since I’m the one who's got it now.

The original owner (a gentleman in his late 50s) went down at low speed. He says the rear brake locked up on him, but no one can find anything wrong with the brakes. The guy (the September ebay buyer) says when he picked up the bike from the salvage dealer, the bike's original tires were only worn on center 1"and still had mold release on them. I’m guessing, the original owner never felt comfortable on the bike and panicked in a turn and hit the rear brake. Saying the rear brake locked up was a good thing to tell his wife, friends and his ego. His local MG dealer wrote up an estimate saying the bike was beyond repair and claim damage that was not there. This was most likely to help the original owner get back some of his original investment ($14-15,000) and so he could possible get a different bike. The bike had minor damage. A few scrapes and bend fairing bracket, broken directionals and shifter and the exhaust had a dent.

Now, the guy I won the bike from is a guzzi head (testaguzzi) and has a few older guzzi and knows how to wrench. He was going to make the bike into a custom naked street bike. When he got the bike from the salvage dealer he was surprised how little damage the bike had and decided to just do the little bit of repairs. And as his ebay ad said, he did a lot of extra work ($) to make it better. (fixed all the broken parts, engine repaint, engine seals, fluids and the dent in the exhaust, etc.) In addition, this bike has many of the factory upgrades like the titanium exhaust system and computer. After putting on 4-500 miles he decided he didn’t like the riding position and chose to resell it after putting time and money into the repairs.

Now, I put in a very low bid (4,650) on ebay and never expected to win. But I thought, how could I go wrong at that price if I win? … true or true? … And the bike was already fixed up ready to go and not a project.

In NY State, the bike will get re-inspected ($205) and receive a “Rebuilt” vehicle title. Sure it's not as good as a clean title, and maybe the bike is only worth the sum of it’s parts…..but it’s still is a Tenni and it was only $4,600 and about 98% perfect. And who will know looking at the bike now, or will really care in 5 -10 years. If I need to see a perfect Tenni, I’ll go over to my friend loft and look at the one in his living room. But for under $5000 when all things are said and done, I get a very cool rideable :race: modern Guzzi. And it will keep my 1000S from getting lonely during the winter :drink: .

Michael NYC